[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

I haven't used the cancel tool yet. Can you "hide" it behind the even planes? i.e. use a thin piece of material to place in front of it, then make the opening small enough to force sackboy through? I really really dislike the look of it all.

You could, but SB would have to pass behind the wall. Perhaps the best 'fix' is to spawn it for 0.1 second when SB is where you want to remove it?

That's the only thing I can think of...but that poses issues in and of itself. I have two boss fights that involve the jetpack. The jet packs are tethered to my bosses and when the boss dies, the jet pack turns into a tetherless jetpack..instead of disappearing and sb falling to the floor. Now people can fly off into the level because the cancel tool is so limited.

I was going through my backlog of hearted levels yesterday and finally played KingSword ep1 by Vegafoo, which was very good.

There are two more in the series.

What surprised me was how few plays the level has.

Although it has 300+ hearts, it only has 800+ plays. The level is of moderate difficulty, the lighting could be brighter, but I'm surprised with the low number of plays.

I though I'd spread the word for anyone that hasn't played it.

Here are some links

http://lbpreviews.blogspot.com/2008/11/kingsword-ep1-by-vegafoo.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMXK9nN0yE8

N.B. I have also posted this on NeoGaf and Rllmuk, I hope that is not breaking any ToS. Got to promote the good LBP levels.

Web-based level-sharing portal coming to LittleBigPlanet

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174332

During an interview at the Nordic Game Conference in Malmö, Sweden this week, Media Molecule co-founder Alex Evans revealed to 1UP that the company will soon launch a web-based portal for LittleBigPlanet to allow players to advertise their created levels to other users and queue up downloads and get them ready for the next time they turn the game on.

According to Evans, the service will provide each created level in the game with a custom URL that players can send to friends or even advertise online -- opening up new, direct ways to publicize original stages.

Holy sh*t at this :):

In addition to things like leaderboards, photos, and comments, the portal will also offer an application programming interface (API), which can be used to create custom LBP-related applications. Evans cites examples of other APIs for websites like Flickr and Google Maps, and says it will be possible to use the LBP API to create a Google Maps page that details the locations of levels on Craft Earth. Evans says the portal and API are currently being beta tested, with a launch coming "as soon as possible."

More in the link above.

That is exciting news, I can't wait!!

sorry to go off that topic but...

I've just published my 2nd level which I'd like some feedback on if anyone has a few mins 2 spare please.

You need to grab the key from my 1st level 'monsterkong' (it's near the very start of the level - you can't miss it and will take you 10 seconds!). Alternatively, add me as a friend (goonergaz) and I'll send the key over!

The level name is 'hunchsack' and it's still 'work in progress' but it should work for you 100% (all I'm doing now is making the puzzels better and making it more 'pretty'!).

I think that's all you need from me - any feedback would be good, my last level was apparently too hard and this was down to a lack of testing by other people, so I'm hoping to avoid this as I've spent 15-20 hours making this level which is a lifetime for me, and I'm also now pushing for my last few trophies!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare the time :)

Please check out the new level I just published called hunchsack...I managed to make lightning (well a flash of white light) and rain which I was quite chuffed about!

Please, PLEASE take 5 mins to load the game up - play my level and heart me and the level...I'm pushing for the plat trophy now!

Good stuff ! I have not completed it yet. Got stuck in the falling ceiling part :)

Now need to adjust back to US time zone asap. @_@
Will try again later. I think you get the essence of LBP. ^_^

cool :)

which type of stuck and which ceiling!? ;)

everything should work within the level - it's been tested and re-tested to death, the only bug I found was in one play-through the red key disapeared after I shot it - once in around 30 playtests, so it's obviously a very rare bug and I'll have no idea if I fix it or not as I cannot re-create it!

What peeved me was that someone posted a tag of 'rubbish' - I mean, sure, it's not the best level ever - but rubbish it ain't!

Anyway, thanks for playing and the feedback :)

everything should work within the level - it's been tested and re-tested to death...
You'll be amazed at what bugs make it through! I'm also a little suspicious that playing in the editor isn't exactly the same as playing in the game mode. Tuning my first-level in editor didn't work in play mode.
What peeved me was that someone posted a tag of 'rubbish' - I mean, sure, it's not the best level ever - but rubbish it ain't!
Tags don't really mean a lot. Plenty of people will just tag any old thing instead of searching through the list hoping the tag they want will appear. You can see this on any level, a total mish-mash of unrelated tags. And of course most opinions are entirely subjective and emotional. If a person gets stuck on one part due to a rare bug, chances are they'll ignore all the hard work that's gone into design and art and just rate the level 1 star and rubbish. You can see the flip side of this with levels that have very little work go into them score 3 stars compared to other levels that have much better design and modelling etc.

All good points...and I've also learned to play once published to double check something didn't break on the upload.

I just wish I had more time...I have only made 2 levels - a small one and this 'medium' one (which took all of the thermo gague!?) - I have around 5 ideas 'started' and at the moments I've found that making levels tends to breed ideas...I have s much going on in my head at the mo I find it hard to think about anything else!!

Played a couple of levels just now.

Jaeyden : TieDie is the most colour-rich psychedelic creation ever! I'm surprised it isn't more highly rated, considering how some colourful levels do. Seems pretty random to me what people take to or don't. Not my thing, but I appreciated the colour design and clever lighting systems that created it's overwhelming look!

eb : I had 30 seconds look at Hunchback and stopped at a game killing bug to report. I accidentally destroyed the red key! Thin objects can be destroyed by gunfire without any deliberately rigging. I found this when a castle-defence level I was working on had SB destroying his own brick castle! Very frustrating. I don't know if some materials are resistant, but as thin objects need certain materials if they are to be grabbable and not look a mess due to material bevelling, they need to be made out of Dissolve or Polystyrene and these are victims of shooting destruction.

I don't know what the solution is, other than to move the keys out of the line of fire. Perhaps have the keys in boxes and the targets open them up? Oh, and the bat was way cool! I love the way mechanisms can be hidden now, as it really changes the look of levels.

pants - well that's brilliant feedback mate - I will modify tonight when I get home...an idea might be for the key to be in a box that disolves (breaks) when it lands - at least now I know 'why' it's happening.

It's odd tho that it never happened prior to going live...probably just a coincidence.

The bat was one of the few things I shamelessly used from my vast array of 'free items'. I have to say I find making 'things' the toughest and most time consuming effort of the game so often try to use somthing I already have which is a real shame. Agree about making stuff invisible, it's great!

It's odd tho that it never happened prior to going live...probably just a coincidence.
Probably, maybe with an element of the designer playing according to design. I know I just spammed the shoot button like a lunatic, and that increases the odds of a rare hit. I found with my level it was mostly when standing close to the thin objects they got destroyed, but as I had a wall of them, it was a common occurence. I think it's a matter of the shot geometry moving over the top of the object geometry with insufficient physics accuracy to determine the surface collision, and then the engine solves the conflict by destroying the key. This happens (it seems) more readily with the paintball just out of the gun.

Second on Jaeyden's "TieDie" being a solid collector type level. I ended up playing it waaay longer than I would have expected, partially because someone on my friend's list happened to have played it before me and I wanted to beat their high score.

=)

I have come around to wishing that this game was a PSN download so I wouldn't have have to swap in a new disc just for a quick LBP session.

Cheers

That would be good, or it would be cool if you could have a 'bootup' into the online bit - so if all you fancy doing is a couple of user made levels you don't have to mess about with disks - just boot into your pod with the world in front of you.

WRT to Jaeyden - the guy is a genious and insperation...but he also makes everyone elses levels look average!! lol

deepbrown, where did you get this picture from ?

foto_littlebigplaneticoteaser.jpg

Has anything been confirmed yet ? Or is this a "leaked" image of some sort.... like the Slim PS3 photos :p ?

For the UK folk, on the 2000 AD skins: how ingrained into public consciousness are those comics? Is it like Superman/Batman or more like Marvel comics?

Back