[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

Right now we have some very poor levels that have been played well over a thousand times sitting on the front page, while some of the best levels around are struggling to get to a hundred times played. Also if I tag a level as one star and rubbish, then I don't want it to keep sitting on the front page. And there is no reason to have all those "get 7 trophies" levels on the front page either, or those "heart me and my crappy levels, and I'll do the same for you" levels.

I prefer to search levels through hearted list everyone has.

Exactly. At the moment the rankings are irrelevant. If most people who play a level rate it 1 star and tag it Rubbish, it should be moved down. That's the whole point of rating and the idea of good quality content floating to the top. We were told this is how it would be, that the community would be self-managing. I seriously wonder what went wrong between the publicly broadcast intentions and the released Day 1 product? It smells like a rushed launch.

It was probably released a little too early. More things aren't working as they should. On the left moon it should keep track of how many points you got for play, create, and share. In the beta it would only work half the time, now it always shows zero. The leaderboard on my level isn't working probably either. If you play the level won't see Jaeyden's score, but if I check which score's my friends have it does show his score, but it also shows an older score I had, not my top score. I'm also sometimes experiencing big slow downs, It looks like lag but it also happens if I play alone.

I just played Jaeyden's new Starstruck 2 level. It's very good, full great ideas just like his other levels. I still haven't made it through though, it's difficult in places, but I think that's the way he intended it.

I also started doing a few experiments for my second level. I want to recreate the jeep chase level in Uncharted, vehicle combat and all.

Okay, I've got a problem I can't figure out. I want an object to disapear once a sticker switch is activated on it.

So how do you keep an emited object persistent until it's triggered not to be?

Okay, I've got a problem I can't figure out. I want an object to disapear once a sticker switch is activated on it.

So how do you keep an emited object persistent until it's triggered not to be?

Dissolve material if a single material is enough, explosives if the object is at a safe distance, rockets if you don't mind the show.

If the trigger is on something else but not the omitted object, you can connect the trigger to the emitter so emission of new object (which is out of screen?) can get rid of the old one.

You can also go crazy and make the object emit another object with a key which will trigger another sensor that is connected to the original emitter. :)

If I emite the key that triggers the key switch that controls the emitter what settings do i use.

I've been testing and I can get the object to emite, and for the sticker switch on it to disolve disolve material, which then lets a magnetic key activate a magnetic switch, that deactivates the emiter, but the object doesn't disapear. or it's going in and out of existance continuously, depending on the life span of the object.

Gonna try a one shot piston instead of the dissolve material.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I emite the key that triggers the key switch that controls the emitter what settings do i use.
You set Time To Live to infinite, "max number of objects emitted" to infinite, "max number of objects alive at one time" to 1. I don't remember the exact labels of the settings, but you get the idea.

As for the magnetic key switch, you set it to "one time only" instead of on/off.
I've been testing and I can get the object to emite, and for the sticker switch on it to disolve disolve material, which then lets a magnetic key activate a magnetic switch, that deactivates the emiter, but the object doesn't disapear. or it's going in and out of existance continuously, depending on the life span of the object.
This looks like you are using on/off setting on the magnetic switch but I'm confused, if you are using dissolve material for the first emitted object why do you need a second emitter? Isn't dissolution enough?
Just connect sticker sensor to the material.

I use the disolve material for a permanent switch.

I'll try your settings. I have had it on one shot tho.

The problem is that the emitter gets turned off and the object remains. I wish I could copy MMs levels and see how they did the scene change at the end of the magicians levels.

Edit: Okay. Put the emitter on a piston controllered by a permanent switch. set it to repawn off screen when the sticker switch was triggered.

I use the disolve material for a permanent switch.

I'll try your settings. i have had it on one shot tho.

I see, so you don't want to keep the magnetic switch around and your emitter object needs more than one material. You can also put the magnetic switch way off screen and make the mobile emitter emit somewhere close to there.

The problem is that the emitter gets turned off and the object remains.

That technique will only work if your main emitter (or the initial position of the object) is off screen, so the new emitted object doesn't bother you.

Is this for your music level (version 1.5)?
Do you take orders for custom soundtracks?

Awesome work by the way. But I'm having trouble finding the scoreboard after taking jetpack trip :)

Actually this is for "A Point 'n Stick Adventure." You collect objects by using a hand sticker on them so the object dissapears and spawns a prize bubble with the sticker representing that object. You can then use that sticker on other objects.

The score board is right next to the jet pack, on v1.3.

I want to do some other things before doing new tunes. Sometimes i see a tune done badly in LBP and want to make a working version of it, but that'd be treading on peoples toes abit. There are limits to the range of notes and the amount you can use. I got a minute worth of music at the frequency required for Eyes On Me and I could bump that up to three or four minutes with some pauses by emitting different sets of notes. More if i removed the mechanism for the speakers following you around.

I encountered another face-slappingly dumb design decision last night. We were playing offline coop, and my friend was working through the creation tutes as I offered advice. Every now and then between tutorials I'd look at my PopIt menu and found I couldn't create anything. I waited until he had completed the last of the PopIt-highlighted (question mark icon) tutorials and expected to be able to create...but no! We couldn't build anything together. Only he could use the construction tools. Then I noticed the question mark Tutorial icon on my PopIt, and sure enough, despite having sat through an hour of tutorials, I'd have to work through them myself, on his PS3. Having completed them twice already and having been there a third time as he completed them!

Thus offline coop is gimped! At least for different accounts. I can understand the theory, but it's wrong thinking IMO, and they could have at least explained this somewhere, and perhaps offered the option to share content between accounts, or better yet actually use the PSN account so your player experience is shared when you take your SB on- and offline. Looks like coop buddies should enter as guests.

Just got my replacement PS3 up and running. I can confirm Detach looks to be fixed. A big spaghetti collection of glued parts could be separated piecewise without destroying the whole thing. Haven't tried stressing rewind yet.

I'm guessing that PSU article should be :
- Using Undo in Creator mode required a network call
and they've fixed it, rather than adding a network call to the already miserable rewind function!

I encountered another face-slappingly dumb design decision last night. We were playing offline coop, and my friend was working through the creation tutes as I offered advice. Every now and then between tutorials I'd look at my PopIt menu and found I couldn't create anything. I waited until he had completed the last of the PopIt-highlighted (question mark icon) tutorials and expected to be able to create...but no! We couldn't build anything together. Only he could use the construction tools. Then I noticed the question mark Tutorial icon on my PopIt, and sure enough, despite having sat through an hour of tutorials, I'd have to work through them myself, on his PS3. Having completed them twice already and having been there a third time as he completed them!

Thus offline coop is gimped! At least for different accounts. I can understand the theory, but it's wrong thinking IMO, and they could have at least explained this somewhere, and perhaps offered the option to share content between accounts, or better yet actually use the PSN account so your player experience is shared when you take your SB on- and offline. Looks like coop buddies should enter as guests.

Yea, I was rather disappointed to see that the second player can only use items they have unlocked, etc :( I don't really understand the decision behind it, at least not for offline co-op. Online, I can perhaps understand why, as it would eliminate the need to go through Sp to unlock a lot of stuff, but it just stinks when I'm trying to create with a friend and he can't access anything.

For that very reason I started a new account for guests and played through some tutorials and SP on it to get more items and stuff, lol.

I'm guessing Gusets on the players account inherit the player's tools collectables.

In further joyous noise, rewind appears to be fixed. My mate had a problem with buggy rods connecting lumps of wood. I was able to connect them exactly, delete joints, move bits, and rewind, without any issues. It's a big improvement!

Did LBP always run in 720p? I just got the new update and for the first time noticed my 1080p TV was running in 720p mode for the game. It might be psychosamatic but the game just doesn't look as good either.

It's always been 720p 2xAA. It's xactly the same game, so why do you think it doesn't look so good? What's changed?

I just published my level called "Sack Draft". It is fire rescue themed.

It's in the Japan area under Recent. I spent quite a bit of time on it so I would appreciate some feed back.

PSN ID: Germz

I just published my level called "Sack Draft". It is fire rescue themed.

It's in the Japan area under Recent. I spent quite a bit of time on it so I would appreciate some feed back.

PSN ID: Germz

Great level. There is a lot of attention to detail in there. It plays good too, I didn't ran into any problems.

Back