[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

i purchased this game a few days ago and yet have not played it; i really should give this game a try very soon.

The sp levels are really good! I expected them to just be ho-hum examples of level creation but they're really well designed and challenging. I've actually died several times. The complexity in them is amazing hopefully we'll see many users master the creation tools that well.

Last edited by a moderator:
For once hype has been justified. Although not perfect the final product delivers what was promised - play/create/share. This game is a blast!

Hope its true

From PS3 Attitude: "Talking at GameCity in Nottingham today, Alex Evans was asked about the lack of image import in LittleBigPlanet.

The news? He confirmed that this was only pulled from the release of the game because of time constraints, and that the image import tool would be released by Christmas.

For those (many) people that were upset to hear that the PlayStation Eye was going to be the only image import option this will indeed be (completely non-religious) music to their ears.
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-224968.aspx

What happened to the site ? I have not been able to read the article for 2 days.

EDIT: Okay it's back up.

Now that I have seen the article with my own eyes. Yay ! This is great news. Hopefully they fix the PS Eye messed up import too.

We will also have co-op authoring and Disney DLC coming soon.
How about Youtube embedding and export, MM ? ^_^ ([size=-2]please[/size])

On each level icon on the world map, there is a number next to what looks like a small sackboy avatar. What does that number represent anyways? Is it how many people are currently playing that level online?

On each level icon on the world map, there is a number next to what looks like a small sackboy avatar. What does that number represent anyways? Is it how many people are currently playing that level online?

I think it's the number who have played it.

IIRC there was a small number that I'd take as number currently playing online. Isn't the 'times played' clearly labelled as such?

WoW ! So the sackgirl was behind the background? Very novel way of showing you controling the craft and not the sackboy !
Damn, when will I get the game? :(

An excellent creation! Wondering how it works, there's got to be grabbing for the shooting. I'm not sure how the vertical and horizontal is managed though. All the devices that are needed, AFAICT, are visible, unless you can make piston etc. invisible.

An excellent creation! Wondering how it works, there's got to be grabbing for the shooting. I'm not sure how the vertical and horizontal is managed though. All the devices that are needed, AFAICT, are visible, unless you can make piston etc. invisible.

I think he's probable just using the jetpack. I don't know how else you can get that freedom of motion. The shooting is probably a grab trigger, but I don't know how you can combine that with a jetpack.

This level looks like a great use of the tools.

You sit inside a ring. Jetpack to move up/down, left/right. Grab button will grab anywhere in the ring around you. What I can't fathom is how the player motions behind the screen are converted to ship position. Are there any flying creature components? A brain send to follow with maximum speed, if the creature could move while hovering, would work. I thought of this for homing missiles/creatures, but building them out of float wasn't enough to get them to move. They'd need some form of creature controlled propulsion to position themselves. The Beta only had wheels and peg-legs, but I haven't heard of any other components.

Otherwise the ship would have to be attached to a piston, or system of gear. Can you make those invisible?

Otherwise the ship would have to be attached to a piston, or system of gear. Can you make those invisible?

Not invisible, but I think most 'links' aren't bothered by objects between them in different planes. If that's true, that could be the way he did it? From the side, a link between two planes wouldn't be visible anyway but with a thin plane sprite against a thick plane background wouldn't leave much room for visibility in that case anyway.

Possibly. Links pass through objects, and are plane independent. There could be a piston system on the back plane linking to the R-Type in the middle plane. I noticed at the end that the objects are made huge and the camera zoomed well out, which could help hide any piston stretching into the middle plane.

The motion looks mapped 1:1 to the jetpack motion. The ship drops in from the top. There's also a square visible attached to the ship against the black background. Could be the link, a rod or somesuch, is passing through the plane? Seems unlikely. The fact it drops in from above is extra odd. If I didn't know what was in the Beta, I'd have thought there was a magnetic power in effect!

Back