• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is there enough space for the PLX chip between the GPUs?

2j1pibq.jpg

amd-ati-radeon-hd-4870-x2.jpg

4870x2naked.jpg

Seems unlikely to me, unless there's a new much smaller PLX chip or equivalent out there.

Jawed

there's still a CFX Composer and I haven't seen anything on XGP though.. there's more to it than what has been told ?

Is that one of the reasons we haven't got x-ray die pictures of RV870??
Would they give us too much to speculate about?

C'mon AMD give us something or .... I will x-ray my card!! :devilish:

EDIT:
Just noticed on this picture:
r6756493.jpg

The card above is HD58x0X2, the card below is HD 5870 SEX! Notice PCI-e power plugs and more vent holes on the body of one card :)

EDIT:
r6756493.jpg

The card above is HD58x0X2, the card below is HD 5870 SEX! Notice PCI-e power plugs and more vent holes on the body of one card :)

Ahem, it's just a graphics card, you know... :p

Go to the dentist for a checkup and when they x-ray your jaw, quickly pull a 5970 out of your pocket and stick it in front of your face

Go to the dentist for a checkup and when they x-ray your jaw, quickly pull a 5970 out of your pocket and stick it in front of your face

Yeah! That was my idea! I have very good friend of mine who is dentist, problem is, he's in Poland, over 1000 miles away .....

Besides I'm not sure what resolutions picture would I get from medical X-Ray. Maybe someone on well equipped University can make a photo? ;)

You are trying really hard (with silly arguments may I add) to convince everyone and the dog NOT to buy the new ATi card.

Why is that? It's their hard earned cash. If you don't wan'it, don't buy it. Simple as that. Wait a few more months for nV offering and hope it's faster than GTX 295. In the mean time give us a break and let us play with our new toys.

i have to agree that 5870 is a pleasant surprise. But only for those with single GPUs that have no plans for multi-GPU.

It will find a home with those people; it is a great upgrade for 4870. Those of us with 4870-X2 or 4870/4890 CF would be doing a side-grade or downgrade and will likely wait to see what Nvidia offers or to look at 5890 or 5870-X2 when it comes as we know it will (imo)

EDIT:
r6756493.jpg

iirc, the front most is the 5850x2 and bottom (further back) is the 5870x2. different venting, lenght of pcbs and 6X8 pin vs 8X6 arrangment.

I but if you already have an X2, GTX285/295 or SLi 260s, why would you spend 380 for a marginal to 0 gain, depending on what you have a loss, in any game curently out

Woah I didn't know this. is it true, for some reason I had it in my head that it was a 285 + 60%

It will find a home with those people; it is a great upgrade for 4870. Those of us with 4870-X2 or 4870/4890 CF would be doing a side-grade or downgrade and will likely wait to see what Nvidia offers or to look at 5890 or 5870-X2 when it comes as we know it will (imo)
My brain informs me that one could buy two 5870s and CF them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick info before ForzaIII downloads itself on XBOX, my card is capable of stable operation on GPU of 950MHz at default volts (1.15V). Memory not yet fully tested above 1300MHz, but seems 1300-1350 range for stable operation.

For us non too clever people would someone mind posting something detailing how much faster these new cards are than current popular cards (4850,4870,260,285 ect) as a percentage

tnx in advance

Quick info before ForzaIII downloads itself on XBOX, my card is capable of stable operation on GPU of 950MHz at default volts (1.15V). Memory not yet fully tested above 1300MHz, but seems 1300-1350 range for stable operation.

That's good info man! Thanks for your efforts!

It seems that in 3dmark, your card gobbled up every mhz you threw at the memory, starting from 900mhz onwards! It's a good thing the memory defaults at 1200Mhz though! It would be interesting to know at what memory frequency, performance increases stop appearing.

For us non too clever people would someone mind posting something detailing how much faster these new cards are than current popular cards (4850,4870,260,285 ect) as a percentage

tnx in advance

According to xbitlabs HD5870 on average is ~45% faster than HD4890 in 1920x1200 and ~50% faster in 2560x1600 (1680x1050 shows even smaller gains so imo this implies some kind of cpu limitation in almost all resolutions).
From that you can extrapolate GTX 285s perfomance. My guesstimate would be: HD5870 is ~35-40% faster than GTX 285.

Tridam's summaries are always easy on the eyes, but, as usual, check the individual game scores (from as many sites as possible) to see how it performs on your games. Or, in your case, an infinitesimal subset of your games.

Xbit's summary chart is great.

Back