• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm holding out for 1920 ALUs, I'm damned if I'm gonna aim low after RV770 :LOL:
But, but -- there won't be any space left for "Manhattan sized" thread dispatcher... duh!
rotf.gif

I don't feel like guessing the techies of the chip, but I'm willing to say the highest end single chip with have 3+ teraflops of computing power. Yes... thats right... I'm talking around 6 teraflops for an X2.

Maybe I'm aiming too high, but RV770 did that to me as well.

That's probably aiming too high. RV770 scrapped the ring-bus while ramping up the count of essentially the same units as RV670. I think most of us expect this coming generation to spend a decent part of the transistor budget on things that don't directly increase flops (tessellation, better memory management, better thread scheduling, beefier texturing etc). Still, 1600 SPs aren't out of the question and that takes you pretty close to 3TF with the right clocks.

That's probably aiming too high. RV770 scrapped the ring-bus while ramping up the count of essentially the same units as RV670. I think most of us expect this coming generation to spend a decent part of the transistor budget on things that don't directly increase flops (tessellation, better memory management, better thread scheduling, beefier texturing etc). Still, 1600 SPs aren't out of the question and that takes you pretty close to 3TF with the right clocks.

I would say obviously no less then 2.0tf's. The question is, how much higher?

I thought AMD will present more than one GPU during the next two months, or?

So maybe the 2TFlops are for the RV830/840 but not for the RV870.

If they borrowed a little bit from Nvidia and have now shaders at twice the speed of the other parts of the chip 640 double pumped shaders would be enough for 2 TFlops.

eyefinity: dvi/dvi/dp or dvi/hdmi/dp for Cypress XT, single slot card will probably not have this.
also: independent gamma control for video and desktop, "brighter white"

Ok, lets play along and say its real. Did the rv770 have so many different caches? That digram says it has L2 cache, L1 texture cache, z stencile cache, and color cache. Does that sound right?

Yes, even if it seems that they're differently displaced in RV870. L2 cache in RV770 was coupled w/ RBE, like color cache (so there were 4 different color and L2 caches), while now RV870 should have them unified.

There's nothing out of the ordinary. But considering this (rv8xx) is supposed to be a radical change, it seems downright tepid.

What about the parallel DMA engine? It's not something typical for cpus (Cell, for example), but not so much for gpus? :?:

Based on the interview it's not necessarily "radical change", the "RV770" was mentioned as good starting point, and only one part of the core was specified to be over twice as complex as RV770's, the (main(?)) scheduler.

Which in fact seems to be. From the diagram it seems much beefier than the one in RV770.

eyefinity: dvi/dvi/dp or dvi/hdmi/dp for Cypress XT, single slot card will probably not have this.
also: independent gamma control for video and desktop, "brighter white"

"Brighter Whites" and "Independent Video Gamma Control". When you quote something I wrote, please do it correctly. ;)

Doesn't sound like anything that would blow me out of my socks to be honest....so why the fuzz again about those? :rolleyes:

Back