Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I don't think the reviewer is a fan of MGS4. The article does not read like someone enthused with playing the game. It outlined the structure of the game, and established the author's neutrality (by describing why people may hate/love the game from several aspects). Problem is...

I have no problems with Eurogamer giving the game an 8 but they need to talk about the gameplay more.

Exactly. If you love a game, you'd be inclined to talk about the details, or find ways to convey the feelings without violating the NDA, or spoil the game.

Scott Arms said:
Different reviewers. If you take a away a reviewers right to come up with their own score, then what's the point? If the reviewer says, I think MGS4 is an 8/10, what's the editor supposed to do? Can they say, "Well, Bill gave Grid a 9/10, and I think MGS4 is probably a better game, so you'll have to raise your score"? Is that what you really want?

One way to interpret this is, if you're not so hot about MGS series, it's an 8. If you're a MGS fan, it's very close to 10.

Oh... I think people left out MGO because Kojima Studio is still working on the enhancements/fixes after the beta. The reviewers probably didn't get to play it yet.

EDIT: Whoops, started this before Shifty's post.

Last edited by a moderator:
think people left out MGO because Kojima Studio is still working on the enhancements/fixes after the beta. The reviewers probably didn't get to play it yet.

Is MGO free for anyone that buys MGS4? Is it not included on the disc? Just curious.

... until they change their policies, it is free. It would be more interesting to see what content/gameplay they add to make it chargeable.

... until they change their policies, it is free. It would be more interesting to see what content/gameplay they add to make it chargeable.

Yeah, not really sure how that would work. It's pretty hard to give someone a game and then arbitrarily tell them they suddenly have to pay some money for it.

There's no way they'll go with a subscription. I think it's most likely they'd go the route of map packs and kits, if they decide to charge for anything at all.

Did any of the reviews talk about the 70 weapon library and its customization ? Does it change the gameplay considerably ? This is the top question in my mind.

Btw, they should make customized weapon a Home trophy. Would be great if I can visit people's apartment and admire their kits.

EDIT:
The "Official" MGS4 thread over at GAF, right here, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303161, is an work of art, go take a look.

Yes, that's an insanely great thread.

That neogaf thread is so so so so beautiful !!! Especially the Meryl Wallpaper !
I even stole the banner which says "The Game" for my signature !!! :D

Kojima tour schedule, stolen from GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11394643&postcount=1814

Tour Info from the latest Kojima Productions Report:

European Tour (featuring Hideo Kojima, Kenichiro Imaizumi, Yoji Shinkawa, Yumi Kikuchi):
London, England - June 2
Milan, Italy - June 3
Madrid, Spain - June 4 (Closed Event)
Hamburg, Germany - June 6
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - June 7
Paris, France - June 9

North American Tour:
Los Angeles, CA (Midnight Sale at Best Buy in West Hollywood) - June 11 (featuring Ryan Payton, David Hayter, Kenichiro Imaizumi)
New York, NY - June 11 (featuring Hideo Kojima, Yumi Kikuchi)
New York, NY (at Uniqlo) - June 12 (featuring Hideo Kojima)
San Francisco, CA (at the Metreon) - June 14 (featuring Hideo Kojima, Ryan Payton, Kenichiro Imaizumi, Yumi Kikuchi)

Japan:
Tokyo, Japan - June 11 (featuring Yoji Shinkawa, Producer Matsana?)

North American Tour:
Los Angeles, CA (Midnight Sale at Best Buy in West Hollywood) - June 11 (featuring Ryan Payton, David Hayter, Kenichiro Imaizumi)

Im too lazy to drive to West Hollywood :oops: . Besides, hundreds of people will probably flock the area :???:

On a slight rant: Yesterday morning I inquired on 3 stores (circuit city, toys r us, gamestop) about the MGS4 PS3 Bundle and only GameStop knew what I was talking about. The other two stores had no clue and even tried to make me look like im delusional (lets just say our conversation didnt end quite well)

GameStop says they dont know how many units they'll get so its first come first serve and once again im at work so ill probably have my sister line up and have a go at it :LOL:

Edge gave it a 8/10

- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

Yap ! So far, the average score is 94.1:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11374094&postcount=18

10/10 UK OPM
5/5 Gamepro
9.9/10 IGN UK REVIEW
8/10 EUROGAMER
10/10 MERISTATION.COM
5/5 OFFICIAL PLAYSTATION MAG REVIEW
95% PSM3 UK REVIEW
97% GAMEMASTER
9/10 JEUXVIDEO
8/10 Edge

Edge gave it a 8/10

- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.

- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

This is the part I like about MGO too. Switching between first and third person view during search-and-destroy is emm... quite interesting !

EDIT:
Just saw the reference to 90 minute cutscenes. It conflicts with what the reviewer on GAF mentioned. That's just weird.
Perhaps something about those cutscenes are special (PIP during gameplay like the rumored Sunny cam ?).

On a slight rant: Yesterday morning I inquired on 3 stores (circuit city, toys r us, gamestop) about the MGS4 PS3 Bundle and only GameStop knew what I was talking about. The other two stores had no clue and even tried to make me look like im delusional (lets just say our conversation didnt end quite well)

Yeah, unless they advertise MGS4 in the mainstream media heavily, most people won't know what it is. I think the media activities in Japan is more mainstream. So far we saw:
* The entire MGS cast appearing in Lupin the Third theme song
* Cyril Tamayam's magic show
But nothing in the western market.

Just saw the reference to 90 minute cutscenes..

I would hope you can at least pause the movie and save the game. life is way too hectic to sit through that twice just to play a game.

of course reading the IGN UK review it says all cut scenes can be skipped but you miss good story points.

I was new to the GTA series with GTA4 and would be to MGS with MGS4. Based on that, ridiculous long cut scenes are total turn off. I can see the diehards loving this but for me, jumping in, that's a bit much. Yes, I know I can skip them but then it's just another game right?

I felt GTA4 was dragging on after a while. I'll wait till the game is out for a while and wait on feedback from general gamers and not die hard MGS fans.

I was new to the GTA series with GTA4 and would be to MGS with MGS4. Based on that, ridiculous long cut scenes are total turn off. I can see the diehards loving this but for me, jumping in, that's a bit much. Yes, I know I can skip them but then it's just another game right?

I felt GTA4 was dragging on after a while. I'll wait till the game is out for a while and wait on feedback from general gamers and not die hard MGS fans.

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Edge gave it a 8/10

- Not a game for MGS outsiders.

it seems to be an acquired taste over the years

Just another potentially awesome game.

If you're new to MGS, you'll probably miss some in-jokes and references to character history - although whenever previous events are discussed you can press a button to see a "flashback". Personally I was new to MGS2 and I didn't think my experience was in any way diminished because I hadn't played MGS first. Similarly MGS3 was a prequel so everybody went in fresh to that. I'd expect MGS4 has made concessions to the uninitiated gamer.

If you're still concerned, you could do what I am - I've been replaying MGS2 and MGS3. If that sounds like too much to do between now and June 12, complete playthroughs with all cutscenes are on YouTube, and there are plenty of short walkthroughs which will give you all the backstory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back