Resistance 2

*Speechless* :love: :love:

Very very nice environment, lighting and effects. That's California Redwoods right ? Come visit our national parks someday, Arwin, Shifty and deepbrown. It is exactly like that (Giant trees, log cabins, etc.), but not so swampy. ^_^

IGN said:
Speaking of multiplayer, the battlefield was extremely pitched, with the 60 player battles raging across the various maps that we played on. Even with watching about two or three rounds and playing a few myself, I was struck by the fact that it didn't seem as though I was watching the same location twice. I was informed that combined across the traditional multiplayer modes (like Deathmatch) and the squad-based Skirmish mode, there will be more than 70 maps for players to fight across, which could be one of the largest multiplayer experiences ever made.

The first game already does not have repeating levels.

R2 has HUGE and beautiful environments. One of the maps in particular... I have never seen such a big and complex map in my life before. You can really get lost and can't get out.

Very nice looking. I'm mostly impressed with how uniformly clean the image quality is. The water shaders/physics are also hugely impressive. I wasnt taking R2 all that seriously post E3 (particularly in light of KZ2 or even Far Cry 2), but what I see here is impressive. R2 will stand tall amongst the games that come out this fall; cool set pieces, fast paced gameplay, nice (and more importantly CLEAN) looking environments, scale, big boss fights.....how the hell are Insomniac able to deliver four solid current gen games in 2 years when over half a dozen of Sony's first/second party studios cant even ship a feature complete retail game before 2009?

Very nice looking. I'm mostly impressed with how uniformly clean the image quality is. The water shaders/physics are also hugely impressive. I wasnt taking R2 all that seriously post E3 (particularly in light of KZ2 or even Far Cry 2), but what I see here is impressive. R2 will stand tall amongst the games that come out this fall; cool set pieces, fast paced gameplay, nice (and more importantly CLEAN) looking environments, scale, big boss fights.....how the hell are Insomniac able to deliver four solid current gen games in 2 years when over half a dozen of Sony's first/second party studios cant even ship a feature complete retail game before 2009?

Hah... that question applies to all exclusive platform studios.

The new videos are full of spoilers. People who want to experience the game anew should not watch any. But trust our words, the visual is top notch.

yowza... looks really good... much better lighting and a more refined next gen feel than the first

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is going to be huge. I don't know where to start when I get it. The single player for the story and best graphics, or play the co-op with a friend, or the 60 player online mode with our clan. I'll have to play for hours just to see everything once. And I still need to find the time to play LBP.

Yes, the co-op has quite a bit of depth. It doesn't feel tagged on at all. The SP looks polished from the 4 gameplay trailers. I have not seen the latest competitive MP gameplay yet. It's the part I worry most because of existing R1 experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
:oops: Best overall graphics in 2008 for sure!

And all the things for multiplayer are way above anything else out:cool:

And all the things for multiplayer are way above anything else out:cool:

You have not seen the massive level I saw yet. ;-)
Don't know how it looks now. I'm eager to have a second look just to see if I was imagining things. :p

The visuals have sure put a smile on my face :) ! i had never thought Insomniac would get their lighting right ;) ! and the sound is top notch too !

But one major gripe: Any body else thinks the chimera are dying too quickly :devilish: ! I mean, where;s the challenge? The regenerating health shit makes it too easy I guess, and the chimera were very tough in R1 , but they seem to be dying too quickly here :( !

I hope R2 does not fall prey to " open up the game to casual players" syndrome ! MGS4 fell for it and R&C:TOD has practically no challenge (to the point where I am) ! We can understand R&C, as it is a kids game primarily, but not Resistance ! !!!

I doubt it. Play on Hard and above if you are really good. Insomniac started with gameplay first, so I am pretty sure they have sorted out fundamental issues like this. I was told demo is usually done on easy mode anyway. Jstevenson also hinted that they have group fighting AI in R2.

Oh! if its easy mode then its fine ! I am not really good or anything, just that R1 provided a lot of challenge and sometimes I would get stuck in an area, trying again and again. The challenge was kindof associated with Resistance.
If the demo is on easy, then its understandable !

Nice upgrade from R1, still not bowled over by it though sadly. GFX are nice but bestof 2008 ? I think not. Granted thats just my opinion, each to their own etc.

I think the graphics are awesome, but more so from a technical pov than an artistic point of view. The art isn't the game's strong point. Of course that doesn't mean it looks ugly! Some of the stuff in these videos looks absolutely great. In Resistance 1, I was very much impressed with how well the technical side supported gameplay, and that game only looked good in very rare instances. Resistance 2 looks very good in most instances, great in some. So it's a big improvement for sure and this looks like it's going to be an awesome game. It makes my 'must buy' list for this year, along with among others LBP, WipeOut HD, Burnout PSN, and Guitar Hero WT (unless they mess it up somehow, will await the final review).

I'm going to try to get some direct feed screengrabs of this latest footage, because I'm seeing some damn good textures here, particularly in 1up's "bunker" footage.
That's something I wasnt expecting, especially not with a game that has this kind of scale.

edit: here are two examples.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9172/snapshot20080923175319zo7.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot20080923175450xj7.jpg

There is no point in talking about texture resolution and how great they are if the pictures you show are 640x340...

The textures at any rate should be vastly better as last time they didn't have time to get texture streaming in, which they definitely have now.

Back