Formula 1 - 2008 Season

Don't have the source available at this moment for this (i'll try to dig it up) but
Webber:
"It is like here at Monza. If I miss the first chicane and let the guy back through, jump back on his tail and do him at the second chicane, then I would never have done that if I hadn't jumped the first chicane.
"That is something I should be penalised for - and it is exactly what Lewis did."

and Trulli
"In my opinion Hamilton got an advantage by cutting the chicane," Trulli told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Had he stayed on the road, he wouldn't have had the speed to overtake the Ferrari.
"In the same way at Monza someone could cut the first chicane, catch a rival's draft, and overtake him under braking at Roggia.
"When you attack on the outside, you do it at your own risk, because who's on the inside has the right to do the corner. If there isn't enough room, then you lift.
"Had there been a wall there, instead of the surfaced escape route, would Lewis have attacked anyway? Had there been gravel, he wouldn't have had the chance to attack when rejoining the track because of dirty tyres."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70435

f1-itv's resident expert on chichanegate
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Mark_Hughes&id=43892

"To compare the two scenarios – what happened, with what would have happened had Hamilton not missed the chicane – is impossible."

Knowing exactly what would have happened is of course impossible, but to loan the extra photorealistic illustrations i made for another forum this is what we can know:

Situation they were in the corner before Hamilton turned out
example.png

The greenish line shows Kimi's line, Yellowbrownish what would be optimal line for Lewis in the position he was in if you don't count in Kimi's car

example2.png

Now, this is what would have happened if Lewis had continued normally on the line that would be best from his situation, and disregarding Kimi completely. They would have both died in horrible explosion of doom, hardly the ending either of 'em would want.

example3.png

And here's what Lewis would have had to do to not miss the corner, break REALLY heavy, and thus letting Kimi get quite a bit farther away

or he could of braked a little lighter and been nearer to kimi than you suggest ;)

but the rule at the time as I understand it
"you give up the position"
not "you give up the position and put yourself back in the place you would of been had you not cut the corner"

ps: are you sure those pics arnt photgraphs!

or he could of braked a little lighter and been nearer to kimi than you suggest ;)

but the rule at the time as I understand it
"you give up the position"
not "you give up the position and put yourself back in the place you would of been had you not cut the corner"

ps: are you sure those pics arnt photgraphs!

yeah, I actually hacked one extra high resolution satellite mapping thingy and used it to grab the photos, but don't tell anyone :devilish:

Anyway, no that's not the rule and hasn't been ever, last season Alonso had to give back a position twice because the stewards said he would be punished otherwise, he lost tremendous amount of time since he had already gotten way in front of the guy he had passed via taking a shortcut

yeah, I actually hacked one extra high resolution satellite mapping thingy and used it to grab the photos, but don't tell anyone :devilish:

People arnt stupid they will be able to tell ;)

I thought alonso giving back the position twice was because of a mistake his team told him to give up the position for a second time when they shouldnt of

The sporting question

Lewis Hamilton was pushed out across the Spa chicane escape road by Kimi Raikkonen,

I laughed out loud and stopped reading right there.

well maybe not pushed exactly but kimi wasnt going to yield so he could stay on the track (not that he had to)

Sites I visit for F1 news:

formula1.com
autosport.com/f1
itv-f1.com
grandprix.com
en.f1-live.com

and my.ing-renaultf1.com/en

just to get the whole picture, bias vs. bias. :D

I thought alonso giving back the position twice was because of a mistake his team told him to give up the position for a second time when they shouldnt of
Nope, it was either giving the back the 2nd time or getting penalty

I've got a bad feeling about the Singapore race if it stays dry. I have a feeling it will be worse than Valencia wrt. to overtaking.

And if it rains, I hope it doesn't rain so much that the race is postponed or canceled.

Haha, those are certainly a few too many, eh? I like the comment he makes at the end, too. Thanks, Dave.

It's what press says + what he's saying himself later in the post

Here's a little piece that tries to put some perspective on things.

Linked in the comments was a new related story from Singapore that highlights why Hamilton, irrespective of what he does on track, will continue gaining fans.

And, Bludd, I would suggest that you add the Times Online F1 section to that list. Ed's blog especially adds some interesting insight into GP weekends (and assocaited events).

Back