DVD size limiting Project Gotham Racing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSman

Banned
http://gamers-creed.com/?p=156.

You won’t see different times of day per city because this involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn’t a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD. So we’ve worked around the problem by providing different lighting models per city. For example, Macau is always in the daytime, but if you play it during a storm everything looks darker and more foreboding. If you play during a blizzard then things are slightly tinged blue and everything seems more frozen. Of course, playing this track in sunshine will make everything appear bright and yellowy.

Your thought? Sorry if old

is this surprising? . . . i don`t think so, M$ just sucks at hardware design and his bad decisions ruins not just their games

When I drive through a city at night I'm not driving on different tarmac than I am during the day. Seems like their lighting model needs some work.

There have been plenty of game that didn't use different textures for day and night. I think the problem comes from them using photos for textures, and the time of day that the game will use is the same time of day that they took the pictures

If they had made their own texture it may not look as realistic but they could probably rely on the lighting engine for day and night

I'm actually surprised that they can't manage day/night for at least *some* things. Post-compression, how big is a track worth of textures pushing?

Since i assume this was taken from Neo-gaf..

"Easy there mate, let me explain a little first!

In the past we've always had day and night and to do this we've had to create a duplicate set of textures for most of the buildings, obviously there is the space on the disc and the time it will take make all those night time textures. For some cities night time is important, as good as Vegas looks in the day everyone really wants to see it at night, so in PGR4 only night will be available, and if you thought Vegas and Tokyo looked good at night wait until you see what Shanghai looks like!

All the PGR3 cities have been re-lit and look better than ever, plus each weather type brings with it a different lighting setting, so Clear will be different to Fog which will be different to Rain...etc These weather types really do change the feel of the city just as much as a change from day to night, Macau in a storm is VERY different to Macau on a clear day and heavy fog changes it further! Cat and mouse around Macau Route 9 in heavy fog is fantastic by the way as is another multiplayer game mode yet to be announced! Good enough to have the art team eagerly waiting for 5.30 to come around so they can play it for an hour!

So at it’s base there is only one time of day, add to that the different weather settings and you get more variation to each of the cities than just Day and Night would give you. Trust me, they all look cool :)"

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14802&p=

Since i assume this was taken from Neo-gaf..

"Easy there mate, let me explain a little first!

In the past we've always had day and night and to do this we've had to create a duplicate set of textures for most of the buildings, obviously there is the space on the disc and the time it will take make all those night time textures. For some cities night time is important, as good as Vegas looks in the day everyone really wants to see it at night, so in PGR4 only night will be available, and if you thought Vegas and Tokyo looked good at night wait until you see what Shanghai looks like!

All the PGR3 cities have been re-lit and look better than ever, plus each weather type brings with it a different lighting setting, so Clear will be different to Fog which will be different to Rain...etc These weather types really do change the feel of the city just as much as a change from day to night, Macau in a storm is VERY different to Macau on a clear day and heavy fog changes it further! Cat and mouse around Macau Route 9 in heavy fog is fantastic by the way as is another multiplayer game mode yet to be announced! Good enough to have the art team eagerly waiting for 5.30 to come around so they can play it for an hour!

So at it’s base there is only one time of day, add to that the different weather settings and you get more variation to each of the cities than just Day and Night would give you. Trust me, they all look cool :)"

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14802&p=

How does that contradict the OP though? They are still limited by DVD size. Not that it's such a big deal in this case IMO.

is this surprising? . . . i don`t think so, M$ just sucks at hardware design and his bad decisions ruins not just their games

It sucks that the 360 is limited by its DVD drive and that developers have to make cuts, but it certainly isn't ruining games. As far as I can see, PGR4 is shaping up to be a really fun and gorgeous game.

When I drive through a city at night I'm not driving on different tarmac than I am during the day. Seems like their lighting model needs some work.
The examples given explain clearer the reasons. Las Vegas at night is totally different to day. You'd want to catch all that neon-lighting and secondary lighting, which'd be a whole load more textures. I doubt road textures are taking up much of the DVD...

As PGR is a city racer, and lighting from street lights is totally different from daylight, the daylight maps won't cross over and vice versa. Even if they're using IBL and flat colour maps or similar, the locality of street lights and other artificial lightsources in a night scene aren't going to be capturable with that technique. If they're going for photorealistic, loads and loads of textures seems the only real solution at the moment.

i dont understand why your trolling is even tolerated. Infact i think everyone who makes their forum handle something like "xbot" "nintendude" or "playstationfornicator" should be banned on site since more often then not these people carry a bias agenda, like your fine self. Your post history consists of spreading the delusional, unquestionable, glorious PS3 superiority that only really amounts to you saying "xbox sucks, PS3 is the best". You add nothing to this community. Thats my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont understand why your trolling is even tolerated. Infact i think everyone who makes their forum handle something like "xbot" "nintendude" or "playstationfornicator" should be banned on site since more often then not these people carry a bias agenda, like your fine self.

Eh, there is a admin afterall who's orginal handle was Xboxdestorya. But yes, in this thread alone there are clear cases of trolling and bias (the worst combination).

As good as the PGR4 surroundings look (may be the best surroundings so far unless DIRT is better) it may be why they are hitting the DVD store limit. High-res textures, lots of textures and not cardboard stuff will take some space.

i dont understand why your trolling is even tolerated. Infact i think everyone who makes their forum handle something like "xbot" "nintendude" or "playstationfornicator" should be banned on site since more often then not these people carry a bias agenda, like your fine self. Your post history consists of spreading the delusional, unquestionable, glorious PS3 superiority that only really amounts to you saying "xbox sucks, PS3 is the best". You add nothing to this community. Thats my thoughts.

It is hillarious that the people that complain about PS3 games being nitpicked and use rolleyes to look innocent yet they nitpick xbox360 games like it was alright. Anything negative about PS3 games is equal with being a troll or nitpicking but the reverse is not true... so sad.

But on-topic with the extensivly detailed tracks this game has it shure is bound to fill up a DVD. Perphaps a second DVD could be added and installed to the HDD?

But on-topic with the extensivly detailed tracks this game has it shure is bound to fill up a DVD. Perphaps a second DVD could be added and installed to the HDD?

1. Its not needed if you read the sentence immediately following the only one the troll wanted you to read.

2. If they didnt develop a work around (which they did) they couldnt do anything with the HDD since that would obviously screw those owners who only have memory cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back