Microsoft’s Regional Director Rips Blu-Ray Questions Sony's Strategy

scooby_dooby said:
They are still claiming to have 5million by the end of this month. Even if they're under, you're probably still looking at 4.5mil by the end of june worst case. I think 6-7mil by Nov is pretty realistic.

btw: do you have sale #'s for all 30 countries 360 is currently available in?

Your talking about shipped. We are talking about units sold.

mckmas8808 said:
Your talking about shipped. We are talking about units sold.

Ok, so 5million shipped in june. I don't see any reason they don't hit 6-7million sold by Nov.

One thing's for sure, MS needs to start it damn advertising campaign! It's about time to kick that in high gear.

Nemo80 said:
Sorry, but hey will never do that.

They sold some 2,4 million in the US till now, Europe less than half of that, Japan / Rest of the world almost nothing and sales are dropping now due to the summer hole, i doubt they even get the 5 million till end of the year, considering Sony will start hyping PS3 with the start of autumn.

Never say Never ;)

Sis said:
Based on what?

I would ass-u-me that X360 is being branded as the fastest selling console ever, and therefore to drop to figures below that of the PS2 (during the same time period & when stocks are plentiful) would inply that we'd be expecting 300k+ figures for the next few months.

Scooby, FWIW I agree with your sales figures projections, in fact I've been saying this for a while now.

eb said:
I would ass-u-me that X360 is being branded as the fastest selling console ever, and therefore to drop to figures below that of the PS2 (during the same time period & when stocks are plentiful) would inply that we'd be expecting 300k+ figures for the next few months.
I'm not sure where that's coming from, but to me, expecting the Xbox 360 to have May sales that would beat the PS2's May sales is a bit optimistic or misplaced, to say the least.

Anyone can just pull a number out of thin air and say "it should have sold X!" But that's quite meaningless if you can't give it context, such as:

"It should have sold X, because the hardcore market likely makes up Y, and MS hasn't hit that yet."
"It should have sold X, because PS2 sold X*1.2"
"It should have sold X, because game Y was released."

These are all potentially interesting arguments, much better than "It should have sold X."

I think it's fair to say the figures should have been higher looking at all the 'facts' like:

PS2 @ the same time
Lack of competition
Stocks now replenished - so demand should still be high
X360 is being touted as the best selling console ever
PS3 launch price was just released as 'much' higher and didn't go down too well!

I don't think anything will be 'told' until we see next mths figures, PS2 was selling over 300k by then, so it'll be interesting to see if this 'dip' continues...

eb said:
I think it's fair to say the figures should have been higher looking at all the 'facts' like:

PS2 @ the same time
Lack of competition
PS3 launch price was just released as 'much' higher and didn't go down too well!

I don't think anything will be 'told' until we see next mths figures, PS2 was selling over 300k by then, so it'll be interesting to see if this 'dip' continues...

Games are the reason it is not selling strongly at the moment. This stagnation of new available games along with price/configuration stagnation has caused an understandable dip in a general slow period of the market anyways.

wrt "fastest selling console", it's easy to see how this is accomplished regardless of how pr spins it as it is the first console to ship world-wide at the same time. So regardless of whether they are or not, would it really be all that surprising that they are "the fastest selling of all time" based on that strategy?

eb said:

PS2 @ the same time
Lack of competition

I quite agree, and now we have something to debate or agree upon, versus some arbitrary numbers.

The sales should have been higher and maybe even close to 350,000, as mckmas suggests. But perhaps consumers stopped looking due to the shortage and Microsoft needs a marketing push. Or perhaps the price is indeed too high. Or perhaps the shortage created an imaginary demand for the Xbox 360 that will actually never materialize.

I actually believe that sales will pickup for June, based on the assumption that word will spread and retailers will feel more confident in advertising availability. The sales of certain games are just too great, and I think Oblivion and GRAW will continue to generate interest in the console.

Sis said:
But perhaps consumers stopped looking due to the shortage and Microsoft needs a marketing push.

On that note I saw my first real 360 ad yesterday. It has a montage of table tennis, fight night, tomb raider and a bunch of other games, then ended with "Over 70 games for you to enjoy" something like that, and the 70 was a counter that kept going up.

Pretty cool add, really showcases pure graphics, and I think the Tomb Raider inclusion is a good push, here's a high profile franchise, that turned out pretty well scoring ~8.5 on average, and it's an early summer release. They should be pushing that hard, the GFX can look really nice at times.

It's interesting to note that 360's sales have come with a nearly non-existent marketing campaign. Compared to XBOX1 where I saw Bloodwake commercials aon TV 8 times a day every single day. I think a strong marketing push could work wonders for moving them through the summer months.

scooby_dooby said:
On that note I saw my first real 360 ad yesterday. It has a montage of table tennis, fight night, tomb raider and a bunch of other games, then ended with "Over 70 games for you to enjoy" something like that, and the 70 was a counter that kept going up.

Pretty cool add, really showcases pure graphics, and I think the Tomb Raider inclusion is a good push, here's a high profile franchise, that turned out pretty well scoring ~8.5 on average, and it's an early summer release. They should be pushing that hard, the GFX can look really nice at times.

It's interesting to note that 360's sales have come with a nearly non-existent marketing campaign. Compared to XBOX1 where I saw Bloodwake commercials aon TV 8 times a day every single day. I think a strong marketing push could work wonders for moving them through the summer months.

Agreed - this could not only push them through the summer months but also all the way on through the critical Christmas sales period where they are competing for mindshare with Nintendo's And Sony's new consoles. That mindshare will be key and they should start drumming something up if not now, around august to a strong ad finally at around october/november.

TheChefO said:
Games are the reason it is not selling strongly at the moment. This stagnation of new available games along with price/configuration stagnation has caused an understandable dip in a general slow period of the market anyways.

Is it stagnation of games or realisation that X360 has the same limited variety of XB1? As stated 70 games (that's around 10 per mth) is quite a good figure, so it can't be lack of games...or indeed new ones.

For me the PS3s main advantage will be the very wide variety of games, also the confirmed region free gaming is a massive plus (another thing I was touting last year that would be a great move by Sony). Games like Ico simply don't seem to be coming to X360, also Sony has the ultra popular Singstar and Eye toy - anything MS do now will need to improve on that and (IMHO) these sorts of things/games are more important to mass-market than live (which is MSs strang point).

I do actually wonder that whilst we've all been speculating over PS2, PS3, XB1 & X360 that the reason for the dip is actually down to Wii and the fact that early adoptors are now dropping off (and maybe saving for PS3). Maybe what the console needs is a price drop, one I'm sure will happen around Nov if things don't pick up!!

eb said:
Is it stagnation of games or realisation that X360 has the same limited variety of XB1? As stated 70 games (that's around 10 per mth) is quite a good figure, so it can't be lack of games...or indeed new ones.

For me the PS3s main advantage will be the very wide variety of games, also the confirmed region free gaming is a massive plus (another thing I was touting last year that would be a great move by Sony). Games like Ico simply don't seem to be coming to X360, also Sony has the ultra popular Singstar and Eye toy - anything MS do now will need to improve on that and (IMHO) these sorts of things/games are more important to mass-market than live (which is MSs strang point).

I do actually wonder that whilst we've all been speculating over PS2, PS3, XB1 & X360 that the reason for the dip is actually down to Wii and the fact that early adoptors are now dropping off (and maybe saving for PS3). Maybe what the console needs is a price drop, one I'm sure will happen around Nov if things don't pick up!!

While 70 games does average out to 10 a month it isn't quite this linear in the real world. There hasn't been a significant game released in well over a month.

The variety of games and game types will be based on the installed base of each console. Developers will follow the consumer. In some instances the developer can lead the consumer but this generally is driven by a console maker funding this developer leadership.

With MS having a difficult time in Japan it seems less and less likely that they will have strong support from that developer base for japanese centric games but I would not rule it out entirely as MS is fully aware of the significance that market has on their plan.

I guess my point is I wouldn't bank on any traditional "platform = x game" trends just yet.

I agree the region free games is a good thing and should be widely adopted by all this gen.

TheChefO said:
There hasn't been a significant game released in well over a month.

depends what you call significant? MotoGP 06, Hitman, Xmen, Fifa WC are all top titles that will sell well...not that I bought any of them!

However if I look through the 'coming soon' list there's only really a handful that grab my eye...and there's a worrying trend of games being (continuously) delayed (Read GoW & Dead Rising for example).

Back