Microsoft’s Regional Director Rips Blu-Ray Questions Sony's Strategy

Ben-Nice

Regular
http://spong.com/detail/editorial.jsp?eid=10109380&cid=&tid=&pid=&plid=&page=1&cb=287

Q: What does Microsoft have in place to counter the PlayStation 3 launch?

NT: The PlayStation 3 is obviously a significant factor in terms of what is going to happen in the market. But the interesting thing about this week is that they have really positioned themselves as a Blu-ray player. And I think they’ve missed the ball, in that it’s not really a next-generation games player – it’s a next-generation DVD player. For us, that’s great news, because we think we make the next-generation games console. We’ve got the content to back that up, we’ve got Xbox Live to back that up, we’ve got price-points that are very compelling. If gamers are desperate to get the next-generation DVD player, then they’ll start considering Blu-ray and the PS3. But Sony is the company that brought us Betamax, MiniDisc and UMD – I’m not convinced people today will go and bet the farm on buying a Blu-ray disc. That’s where we now see them playing. If consumers want to move to HD-DVD, we’re going to offer them parts to do that, when they want to do that.

The big difference between us and Sony, I think, is that we’re not forcing consumers into big technology leaps now, which don’t really make sense – both financially, and in terms of whether they’re really going to be standards – whereas Sony are really forcing customers, and relying very much on brand loyalty. Phil Harrison said that – that it’s Sony’s brand loyalty which is going to make it successful in the future. Well, you know, consumers ain’t that dumb – they figure that stuff out. I’m not sure brand loyalty counts for much when you’re forcing people to pay that sort of premium price for a technology that really isn’t proven, and which we still don’t know is going to be relevant in three years’ time, let alone in 12 to 18 months' time.

Q: What do you think of the PS3’s likely launch line-up of games?

NT: Who knows? From what I’ve seen, I certainly don’t think they’re coming out with any of their major franchises. Gran Turismo is probably what everyone wanted to see at launch, and that’s not going to happen. They’ll have some good titles – they won’t come out with nothing. But I’m not sure they’re going to have anything that’s dramatic, in terms of capturing people’s imagination.

Q: That’s not the case for the Wii – Zelda, Metroid Prime, Wii Sports, WarioWare and possibly Super Mario has to be the best launch line-up of any console ever?
NT: I think Nintendo had a great week this E3, and I think they have done some really interesting things for the industry, with where they’re going with their technology. Maybe they have a great opportunity to widen the market more quickly than Sony or ourselves. I think it’s great for certain sets of products. The thing that we’re going to be interested about with the Wii going forward is the breadth of the gaming experience that you can get from it, and will that make it your core console? Or will we get to a point where there is dual ownership of consoles? The difference is that, in the old world, it might have been Xbox and PlayStation, whereas in the new world, it might be Xbox 360 and Wii – and that’s the PS3 cost, as Peter Moore said. Consumers will have a really interesting choice this Christmas, I think.

And beyond, because I can’t think where PlayStation is really going. The lower sku doesn’t make any sense to me whatsoever – you can’t move it into something else, and I’d be surprised if they even launch it. Why put Blu-ray in it if it doesn’t have HDMI out? I think it’s another example of how they’re forcing the cost onto the consumer just to say they’ve got a Blu-ray player for movie companies to create Blu-ray movies. It’s a very dangerous game to play, especially with a gaming audience.

Q: Sony would argue that the PS3, because of its power, would have a longer life-cycle than any previous console. Would you agree with that?
NT: Not really. Sony is not a software company, and I don’t think it is able in terms of operating systems, and I don’t think it has the elegance in its software design that we do, hence they need to put a lot more processing in their box just to get to the point that we’re at. The analogy I use for that is that last year, I looked at their product and thought, “Well, this is a truck engine in a Ferrari,†because they were doing a lot of sexy stuff on the box. What has become apparent is that they are now offering a truck engine in a truck – the size of it is 40 per cent bigger than they said it was going to be, and it’s heavier than the original Xbox.

The thing that we learned with the first generation of Xbox is that when you put all of this extra technology in the box on day one, consumers don’t necessarily value all of that on day one. That’s why we built the Xbox 360 in a way in which we can scale up to any new technology that consumers want. The thing that is fundamentally going to change this business isn’t going to be the hardware, it’s going to be what the software does for them. It takes quite a few iterations of games to get to the true power that these systems have. By the time we get to that point, we’ll have a scaleable business where we’re offering people whatever choices they want in whatever ways they want.

Q: What about the PS3 online service? They’re still saying that they will leave pricing up to publishers and developers, so the unified experience consumers get over Xbox Live couldn’t be applied to PS3.

NT: Absolutely. There are two powerful currencies which will become interesting in the future, particularly with Bill Gates’ announcement. One is your gamertag. If you’re going to be gaming anywhere on any device, you want the same gamertag. Because then your friends will know who you are and where you are. Also, it’s the same with achievements – you want your achievements to keep going, because we’ve all got egos. With Sony’s online model, neither of those things can really happen. Coupled with the fact that at the end of the line are publishers building massive infrastructures to service this - we know through MSN and Xbox Live what that takes, and it’s no insignificant challenge. We just don’t think it’s really a scaleable solution if you don’t have this unified environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The topic of Sony's change of direction with ps3 has come up many times but this article does point out an interesting point of thought.

When conversation over ps3-potential typically takes place, it is over one specific factor.

How will Bluray be accepted?
How will their computer functions be accepted?
How will the price be accepted?
How will their launch lineup be accepted?
How will their exclusive games pan out and what affect will that have on potential consumers?
How will replacing rumble with tilt affect potential sales?
How will the standard harddrive affect their pricepoint going forward?
How will the lack of standard hdmi affect their strategy?
How will Bluray fair against HD-DVD?
How will launching a year after MS affect their marketshare?
How will Sony's financial situation play into PS3 decisions?

I'm sure I missed some but I think the point is when you look at the entire situation Sony finds themselves in this generation and not just one point here or there, to think that an easy prediction can be made about how this generation will pan out is very shortsighted and foolish.

By no means is this a dooms day prediction, merely that there are an awefully lot of unknown factors that will weigh in this generation that must be considered.

Same old same old. Continue to play up Blu-ray as "forced technology" while developers probably would have implored MS to include such technology if they were in a position to do so.

But what more do we expect? They have to play up that angle, no one likes to feel they're missing out on something, so anything more offered by someone else is dubbed extraneous.

On the last question, I believe Sony said there'd be a unified login?

WRT Achievements - He mentioned they will carry over to other devices which got me thinking, Would it not be possible to have our game saves also stored/backed up on live servers? Then when you upgrade your hdd or buy xbox720, you can continue on where you left off without worrying about backtracking over all your games again. (assuming bc is in 720 of course)

But Sony is the company that brought us Betamax, MiniDisc and UMD – I’m not convinced people today will go and bet the farm on buying a Blu-ray disc.

That's the most effective kind of FUD, because while it is unquestionably FUD it also has the advantage of being true (the first part that is, the second is just his opinion).

geo said:
That's the most effective kind of FUD, because while it is unquestionably FUD it also has the advantage of being true

Moreover an incomplete truth, which only enhances the FUDiness ;) (Sony were also behind the CD and ultimately rowed behind the DVD also - with others in both cases, as is always the case with these things. The guys behind VHS are also behind Blu-ray exclusively now too, which is worth remembering when someone brings up a vhs/betamax comparison).

I like how he really didn't answer the first question, but instead spent some good time on Sony and how their plan was flawed. PR at it's finest. So what does MS have in place to counter the PS3 launch? What games? Xbox Live Arcade games? From his answer, MS has nothing to counter the PS3 launch

Q: What do you think of the PS3’s likely launch line-up of games?

NT: Who knows? From what I’ve seen, I certainly don’t think they’re coming out with any of their major franchises. Gran Turismo is probably what everyone wanted to see at launch, and that’s not going to happen. They’ll have some good titles – they won’t come out with nothing. But I’m not sure they’re going to have anything that’s dramatic, in terms of capturing people’s imagination.

This is almost as bad as Canadian politics.... Almost! ;)

OH BTW, who did this interview? Anymore questions?

drpepper said:
I like how he really didn't answer the first question, but instead spent some good time on Sony and how their plan was flawed. PR at it's finest. So what does MS have in place to counter the PS3 launch? What games? Xbox Live Arcade games? From his answer, MS has nothing to counter the PS3 launch

Yeah. Only this is worse.

drpepper said:

OH BTW, who did this interview? Anymore questions?

Sure it's his opinion but it isn't just pulled out of thin air. It is based in fact. What games do they intend to release before the end of the year that you all are interested in at this point that really sell you the system?

TheChefO said:
Sure it's his opinion but it isn't just pulled out of thin air. It is based in fact. What games do they intend to release before the end of the year that you all are interested in at this point that really sell you the system?

Early adopters will buy the system regardless.. It's not like the 360 launch was incredible IMO. By the time you can just walk in a store and buy a system there will be many more games...and if you can't just walk into a store and buy a PS3 obviously that means they are selling.

TheChefO said:

Motorstorm, Lair, Heavenly Sword to name a few. Now we can speculate all we want on what games will make the "launch window" but those games are enough to kick start the PS3.

The big guns obviously won't come till mid to late 07 (even 08). But until then, I think the games showing up so far in playable form are on par "in general" wrt the 360 launch line up. Obviously there's no PGR3 equivalent for PS3, but the people who will get the PS3 will be willing to wait for the much anticipated Gran Turismo series.

Ben-Nice said:
Early adopters will buy the system regardless.. It's not like the 360 launch was incredible IMO. By the time you can just walk in a store and buy a system there will be many more games...and if you can't just walk into a store and buy a PS3 obviously that means they are selling.
I have to agree there, launch games don't matter for PS3. What will really matter is what they have in the last half of 07, around when Halo 3 launches, and what the price is by then.

Ben-Nice said:

I was just pointing out that his statement while obviously PR, is based on fact and not just FUD. Fact is you're right - people are assuming that Sony will sell out based on hype/bluray/name recognition/ebay. But as I pointed out in my first post, this is not something that is a given this gen as there are too many variables to make blanket statements about sell-through at this point.

Your right 360 didn't launch with a very good library either in my opinion. This is the reason I didn't purchase until after e3. But there were also a lot of variables for 360 that are not the same as with ps3. (see 2nd post this thread)

I think the relatively weak launch library for ps3 will make some people think twice before purchase just like it did for 360.

TheChefO said:

The point isn't what games Sony is offering at their launch, because the question was what is Microsoft going to be offering at the time of Sony's launch.

The point is he didn't answer the question. He just went on to essentially say the PS3 launch doesn't matter.

Do you recall all the speculation about how MS wanted Halo3 completed in time to be their counter to the PS3 launch?

That was essentially the question. Is Halo3 going to counter the PS3 launch? If not, what will? Gears? Super Silly Fried Banana on a stick attachment? What?

And his response.. 'Sony has no games!'

TheChefO said:
I was just pointing out that his statement while obviously PR, is based on fact and not just FUD.

What fact? That Gran Turismo or another "major franchise" is not at launch? What does that have to do with other titles people might be looking forward to or the quality of the launch?

Plus what the others have said. People often buy systems at launch in anticipation of what's to come as much or more than because of what's out at launch itself. It is said that Japan bought PS2s in March 2000 for FFX. That's not to cast any prejudgement of what PS3's launch will be like, of course.

drpepper said:
Motorstorm, Lair, Heavenly Sword to name a few. Now we can speculate all we want on what games will make the "launch window" but those games are enough to kick start the PS3.

The big guns obviously won't come till mid to late 07 (even 08). But until then, I think the games showing up so far in playable form are on par "in general" wrt the 360 launch line up. Obviously there's no PGR3 equivalent for PS3, but the people who will get the PS3 will be willing to wait for the much anticipated Gran Turismo series.

To those who are interested enough in those games yes they will buy the system as long as they have the expendable cash/credit to do so.

TheChefO said:
To those who are interested enough in those games yes they will buy the system as long as they have the expendable cash/credit to do so.

Well, if you're willing to buy a PS3, I think you have more than enough cash to do so. ;)

Titanio said:
What fact? That Gran Turismo or another "major franchise" is not at launch? What does that have to do with other titles people might be looking forward to or the quality of the launch?

Plus what the others have said. People often buy systems at launch in anticipation of what's to come as much or more than because of what's out at launch itself. It is said that Japan bought PS2s in March 2000 for FFX. That's not to cast any prejudgement of what PS3's launch will be like, of course.

Yes the fact that they don't at this point have a major franchise penned for launch. While some may be interested in the games they do have at launch, I would say that it is difficult to sell the concept of ps3 to gamers with this launch lineup in combination with the higher pricepoints.

RancidLunchmeat said:
The point isn't what games Sony is offering at their launch, because the question was what is Microsoft going to be offering at the time of Sony's launch.

The point is he didn't answer the question. He just went on to essentially say the PS3 launch doesn't matter.

Do you recall all the speculation about how MS wanted Halo3 completed in time to be their counter to the PS3 launch?

That was essentially the question. Is Halo3 going to counter the PS3 launch? If not, what will? Gears? Super Silly Fried Banana on a stick attachment? What?

And his response.. 'Sony has no games!'

True it isn't an ideal response especially for me as a 360 owner. I would have liked him to say "halo3 is coming along faster than expected and will be here when they launch ps3", but he's justified in questioning their launch lineup and how it will play into effect in conjunction with their higher pricepoint to gamers.

Back