Digital Trends: Optical HD Battle May Be Over: HD DVD Wins

Couple of things....

I've seen the odd bluray advert online recently. Great, go the condescending arrogant route. Brilliant.
*sigh*
At least the 360 '6x' dancers was clever, spelling out wow and all.

I got my first taste of bluray yesterday. A local store had a player. Being new zealand, this is a first.
Anyway. A few fun facts:

- It was a panasonic player, so could only be displayed on a panasonic TV. So 1080i (720 native) plasma. Sony, etc, do not allow mixing of brands on display.
- They had 1 title available to show off. Fantastic 4. No titles were available to purchase.
- The deinterlacing was terrible. Either that or something was badly wrong, the framerate was very inconsistent across the picture, suggesting some bad processing. Very jerky.
- The picture itself was sharp, but not quite what I expected. It was also very noisy.
- The UI front end for the movie was possibly the worst UI I've ever seen. Simply terrible. Slow, Badly scaled, ugly and confusing. The submenus were an utter joke. An amazing feat of condensed incompetence. I was amazed. Ohh sure it had a nice background video, but in terms of usability...
- The remote was possibly the worst remove I've ever used. Didn't even have an eject button...
- Top it off, it was $3000, and the only movie I've seen for sale was $80 online.

As an exercise in marketing, this is a total and utter disaster.

I'm hoping the HD-DVD crew are preparing for a decent launch here. Combined roll out of the 360 drive, etc. Pull it off and bluray will be dead in NZ.

- It was a panasonic player, so could only be displayed on a panasonic TV. So 1080i (720 native) plasma. Sony, etc, do not allow mixing of brands on display.

:oops:

Oh go on! Pull the other one! Not really?!

Oh, wait. Maybe you mean just at the showroom?

They are working to implement this already, only it's not a dual sided disc, there is a DVD layer and a BD layer on the same side of the same disc.

Like I already said they dumped the idea because they couldn't get it to work in more than 50% of existing DVD players.

Who said I was talking about JVC?

So far there has been no talk of a BR/DVD hybrid disc at any of the DVD forum meetings, including the most recent one. Then you come into the issue of BR spec changes (if needed) and player compatiability. In short, I don't see it anywhere on the horizon.

Where's the link that says somebody other than JVC has a working single sided DVD/BD?

Have you tried googling "Warner hybrid disk" for example?

Apparently Warner is also trying to put BD and HD-DVD on the same disk. Theoretically possible because HD-DVD is at a different depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back