The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
But for me that just means there is a lack of SP content because a harder difficulty doesnt give you anymore content.
Actually, Halo 3 does have more enemies, more encounters, different weapon distribution (the power weapons, and even things like grenades, show up sooner in the campaign on heroic and legendary) and generally more "stuff" on higher difficulty levels.

Also, i don't get the people bitching about how games should "never score a ten". If you're not using the full range of your scoring system, then WTF is the point? If you never give 10s out, even for the very best games available, you've got a practical scoring range of 1-9, not 1-10. And then you might as well get rid of the 10 rating anyway, as you're never going to use it, and then you've got 9 as your 'perfect' score and you have the same problem again.

Same goes (in the opposite direction) for sites/publications that never score anything below a 5 - why have 1-10 if you only use 5-9? At that point you mgiht as well give up the pretense and switch to a 1-5 system (although if they did that, they'd probably never give out scores below a 3...)

And as expected, the Sony crowd arrives immediately. I can't wait for the SDF review, too.

Well, keep in mind that sonydefenceforce.com editors are not exactly Sony fanboys - they are intentionally hillarious, sometimes they succeed at it, sometimes not.
Because all in all....all talk of what is beautiful, what looks great, screenshot comparisons, praising of animation, praising of draw distance, GFX etc all seems highly irrelevant in this generation - if really, it doesn't really matter at all.
And it is the way it should be. It's not like Halo 3 visual or technology are anything to be ashamed of though...

Well, keep in mind that sonydefenceforce.com editors are not exactly Sony fanboys - they are intentionally hillarious, sometimes they succeed at it, sometimes not.

Actually it was exposed on gaf that these guys are disgrunted users from wii360 who heavily favored the PS3 and their trolling got out of control. Thus they opened up SDF. Putting up spoilers and organizing to crash lauch parties by screaming out spoilers....I'd say it's a bit more than just a "joke"

Actually it was exposed on gaf that these guys are disgrunted users from wii360 who heavily favored the PS3 and their trolling got out of control. Thus they opened up SDF. Putting up spoilers and organizing to crash lauch parties by screaming out spoilers....I'd say it's a bit more than just a "joke"

m0dus is an editor there and he's certainly not Sony fanboy.;) But yeah, spoilers for 360 games aresomething that's definitely not funny.

Who said Halo3's graphics are "average?"

Quite a lot of the reviews I read....sorry if I've been misinformed. Perhaps I'll change the linguistics to "not that impressive" ? From screenshots and videos i've seen as well, in comparison to other games...the bar is rising all the time.

Actually as I understand it, it was a guy by username "Razoric" who I guess frequents OA and GAF, that was discovered to own both SDF and Wii60.com.

In other words, he doesn't really believe the SDF mantra, it's just a gimmick to gain hits, since he also owns anti-PS3 site Wii60.

Now on to the question of graphics, so far I've only read Gamespot and IGN's reviews. Those are the two biggies. Both seemed very positive on the graphics.

IGN:

The replays also create a greater appreciation for the beauty of Halo 3. This is a gorgeous game that has such a quick pace, it's easy to miss out on some of the things it does well. Pause during any explosion and fly the camera by to view a marvelous shot. The particle effects are truly top notch. It never fails to impress. There's the smoke and dust from the back of the Brute Chopper, the blinding red bolt of the Spartan Laser in action, the subtle shine of Master Chief's armor. Considering that Bungie had to have every nook and cranny of the environment detailed and rendered constantly (because you can detach the camera for replays), Halo 3 really is a marvelous technological achievement. It may not be the prettiest game on Xbox 360, but it's also doing far more than any other game. For that, I can forgive the occasional moments when the framerate jitters or there's some minor texture pop in. I get texture pop in just trying to butter a bagel.

Gamespot:

Halo has always had a very strong artistic vision, and the graphics have always been just good enough to convey the necessary imagery without becoming huge technical powerhouses. That's not to say that the game isn't technically impressive, because it maintains a smooth frame rate throughout, and looks very sharp overall with plenty of great lighting and other nice effects. But the visual design overpowers its technical side and really stands out. Given that the game takes place in a wider range of locales than the previous two games, you'll see a lot of different, colorful environments, including deserts, snow, jungle settings, great-looking building interiors, and more. The enemies, many of which are returning from past games, also look great.

So I dont know, the entire premise that the graphics are "average" seems flawed to me.

this is beyond3d thus my comment on halos graphics (or lack of) is apt
its not just me but others as well
eg heres eurogamer (which gave the game 10/10 ), they basically say what i just said
Graphically, however, the game is impressive only in a muted sense. Here, too, comparisons with Halo 2 will be made, and justifiably so - Halo 3 feels very much like an improved version of the Halo 2 engine, not a cutting edge next-generation visual feast.
in fact a lot of the reviews do note the disappointing graphics (+ then give it a high mark :) )
true like i said graphics arent everything but (esp for the FPS genre) they play a huge part

I think it is the best looking game released thus far. Difference of standards I presume since you own a playstation 3
ive never owned or even touched a ps1/2/3 in my life perhaps the only person on this forum who could say that :)

eg heres eurogamer (which gave the game 10/10 ), they basically say what i just said...

And they also said:

Instead, the focus appears to have been on making sure everything runs smoothly throughout - taking the Halo 2 engine, which regularly pushed against the constraints of the Xbox hardware, and giving it room to breathe on the vastly superior Xbox 360 platform. Texture pop-in is a thing of the past, spotted only a handful of times in our play through the campaign. The framerate, both online and offline, is so smooth and steady you could rest your pint on it.

Like I said, it appears that Bungie pushed the graphic fidelity up a notch...while at the same time almost eliminating graphics related pop-in and framerate issues.

eg heres eurogamer (which gave the game 10/10 ), they basically say what i just said

in fact a lot of the reviews do note the disappointing graphics (+ then give it a high mark :) )
true like i said graphics arent everything but (esp for the FPS genre) they play a huge part

ive never owned or even touched a ps1/2/3 in my life perhaps the only person on this forum who could say that :)

And just as many or more reviews say the graphics look great. I guess those dont count, right?

halo320070923064633896jf4.jpg

92663220070921embed004bf7.jpg

I think IGN's closing comments make a great point:

Closing Comments
The campaign, which is very good, is Halo 3's weakest point. It doesn't capture the cavalier spirit of the original Halo, but you'll still have fun playing through it. There's no first-person shooter on 360 that can equal Halo 3's blend of cinematic action, adrenaline-pumping shootouts, and male- (and female)-bonding gameplay. Look beyond the gameplay and you have a rich feature set unlike anything ever delivered in a videogame. The Forge and the replay functionality raise the bar for console shooters so high, it may never be surpassed this generation. There will be plenty of aspects for fans to nitpick, but it's hard to argue against Halo 3 as the most complete game available on any console.

And as expected, the Sony crowd arrives immediately. I can't wait for the SDF review, too.

Such a shame that B3D has got to see this...

I think there is nothing wrong with questioning a 10 rating, as it is extremely high praise. You're overreacting more than Sony crowd is I think.

Anyway, I do think the Eurogamer review seems quite fair:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=83948&page=4

You shoot bad guys, and that's it. If that's all you want to do, Halo 3 is perfect, or as near to damned perfect as this kind of game is going to get. For those who preferred the more cerebral moments of the likes of Half-Life 2 or Bioshock, though... Well, caveat emptor.

Arwin,

Why should they change the formula? It would be like if the HL series got away from the physics puzzle and threw in magic! people wouldn't be happy. Sticking with the forumla that got you there isn't a bad thing. So executing well on the existing formula is an improvement.

And just as many or more reviews say the graphics look great. I guess those dont count, right?

It's just art.
Bright contrast colours, models, pre-backed shadows etc.
It's far from great.

And for the art -- green/pink/red SFX, enemies and players...
Never gonna understand those.
Is it a war or teenage PG-13 Sci-Fi movie?

It looks quite bad when you see it in full-resolution.

No it doesn't. It doesn't look like the best graphics ever, but considering the scope of what's going on it looks very good. I think there is a very limited number of games out that you can name that look better with anywhere near as much going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back