PS3: New Dirt Pics

I must be missing something, those pics look like the game I played on the 360. I suppose you have a link that tells us how Codemaster's proprietary engine was co-developed by Sony? A wise man once told me:

You need to relax, a lot of your recent posts are very biased or written with very little knowledge of what's really going on.

I suppose you have a link that tells us how Codemaster's proprietary engine was co-developed by Sony? A wise man once told me...

It was co developed with Sony, I will digg up the article. ;)

With help from Sony's tech group, Codemasters has built a brand-new next-gen engine called Neon
http://www.developmag.com/news/2459...s-and-Sonys-illuminating-next-gen-engine.html

EDIT: By the way that was some wise words told by the wise man, perhaps read it again, yes? ;)

I must be missing something, those pics look like the game I played on the 360. I suppose you have a link that tells us how Codemaster's proprietary engine was co-developed by Sony? A wise man once told me:

Todd, are you kidding me? Here are just a few links on this (google is your friend):

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-11308.aspx

With help from Sony's tech group, Codemasters has built a brand-new next-gen engine called Neon - and in a curious move it will even power new 360 games.

http://www.developmag.com/news/2459...asters-and-Sonys-illuminating-next-gen-engine

Oh and if you think the PS3 pics represent what is currently present in the 360 version, you definitely need to get your eyes checked out.

Could you link to some comparable pictures? Not everyone has a perfect memory for the same game on different platforms, nor a photographic memory which can recall exactly the differences.

It was co developed with Sony, I will digg up the article. ;)

http://www.developmag.com/news/2459...s-and-Sonys-illuminating-next-gen-engine.html

EDIT: By the way that was some wise words told by the wise man, perhaps read it again, yes? ;)

Edit: Ok, it reads like maybe Sony saw PS3 develpmet being closed out of the closely nit 360/PC tools and helped them integrate the PSSG tools into Codemasters stuff. Maybe someone elese can break it down.

According to Cheshire, “Sony isn’t into exploiting” the relevant component that makes Neon work, allowing
Codemasters to do so instead. Wholly-owned by Codemasters (Cheshire says 30 of the in-house programmers have been responsible for build building 80 per cent of the result), Neon will eventually power all the Codemasters in-house next-gen games – and that includes titles for 360.

But I guess this is proof, Sony co-developed an engine that somehow powers a 360 better with less dev time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you link to some comparable pictures? Not everyone has a perfect memory for the same game on different platforms, nor a photographic memory which can recall exactly the differences.

I was trying to avoid linking to comparison pics because VSes threads are not allowed on B3D. Just look at the PS3 pics with the rearview mirrors and tell me if you notice anything bad. If not and a mod says it is okay, then I can link to a comparable 360 shot.

But I guess this is proof, Sony co-developed an engine that somehow powers a 360 better with less dev time ;)

And I that almost thought that the xbox360 with pure raw power was able to pull this game with less dev time, oh well! ;)

But really there is an interesting article posted Carl B.

Those are som very unsharp shots! :???: If you look at the very far left of every shot you can clearly see ghosting, so i assume that the capturing chain was'nt feeling well when they took the SSs.

?

Those are som very unsharp shots! :???: If you look at the very far left of every shot you can clearly see ghosting, so i assume that the capturing chain was'nt feeling well when they took the SSs.

?

They shure are blurry but other DIRT ss where blurry to (bloom/HDR effect in game). Perhaps the difference is in the objects, draw distance, lighting or other, I dont know as I have not checked xbo360 ss yet.

I was trying to avoid linking to comparison pics because VSes threads are not allowed on B3D.
Generally. However I think there's a case here for a comparison, in the Tech forum, as we've the same game on the same engine that was built with Sony's cross-platform tools. It'd be a worthwhile comparison to see what the outcome was from Sony's cross-platform tools, no?

Generally. However I think there's a case here for a comparison, in the Tech forum, as we've the same game on the same engine that was built with Sony's cross-platform tools. It'd be a worthwhile comparison to see what the outcome was from Sony's cross-platform tools, no?

Yes well I didn't want to start a flame/fanboy war or get banned. Everyone's on their toes around E3 time and very trigger happy :LOL:

I think the quality of the PS3 shots in itself aren't great; however there are details missing everywhere from the 360 version. It just boggles me because this game/engine was lead on the PS3.

Anycase, here is a 360 shot for comparison (if I get banned, I am coming for you Shifty) ;)

Pic

T

Oh and if you think the PS3 pics represent what is currently present in the 360 version, you definitely need to get your eyes checked out.

I hope that was sarcastic... , my version of DIRT which I've been playing the crap out of looks the same

What is a cross-platform tool in this context? Sony did not make a tool for 360 development, they are claiming to have helped Codemasters put PS3 tools into their tools.

Jason Doig (SCE):Certainly I think the biggest help we gave them was PSSG itself - which of course is something that is openly available to all PS3 developers as a downloadable package. However, it's true that we have been working quite closely with Codemasters to help them integrate PSSG with their own technology. That has included training sessions on PSSG itself, responding to specific feature requests, and discussing how to extend PSSG to fit their needs.

Sounds like they exposed the PS3 dev API within Codemaster's engine. Does any of this include help programming the game or optimizing? I don't see that in this text (which is a Sony employee BTW). Codemaster's also said they got the PS3 dev kit later. All of this sounds like the recipe for a late release.

Hold your horses. I thought the deal was that Sony simply helped with the cross platform tools for Neon, not the engine itself?

And either way, that does not directly lead to a superior PS3 version unless Codemasters began development with the PS3 as a lead console, which, as has been seen by the already released 360 version, and the delayed PS3 version, is very much not the case.

Just to be sure though, Sony didn't develop the engine, or co-develop the engine, they simply helped to tool some of the cross platform elements of the engine in order to help it function across both platforms, correct?

Sounds like they exposed the PS3 dev API within Codemaster's engine. Does any of this include help programming the game or optimizing?

http://s130058792.websitehome.co.uk/conferencecont-tracks.html

PSSG is a high level, game oriented, cross platform graphics engine and tool set, optimised for PlayStation 3. This talk shows how a simple game was developed for PlayStation 3 using PSSG's extensive library of APIs and tools. Although the game was developed in a short timeframe by a tiny team, PSSG enabled optimal use of PlayStation3 hardware resources.

The game uses the high level interface exposed by PSSG to leverage the SPUs and ensure competitive performance for scene graph, animation and rendering. Meanwhile the tool set provides a simple and automated path for importing and processing art assets.

The audience will take away an understanding one of the higher level components of the PlayStation 3 SDK and how they simplify PlayStation3 (and other platforms) development while maintaining excellent performance. They will also gain some insight on optimising and refactoring for SPUs.
The image 22psi linked too was particularly comparable, but the difference in rear view mirror is very apparent.

The image 22psi linked too was particularly comparable, but the difference in rear view mirror is very apparent.
It's interesting then that the image 22psi posted was from March, whereas IGN for example have some captures they took from when they reviewed the game:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/786/786197/dirt-20070507044812045.jpg

The rear view mirror differences are pretty negligible there. It may just be a problem with the selection of shots that jeux france have. The lighting seems overcast or subdued in most of their cockpit shots, and none are similar to the one 22psi posted. ;)

I'd say the lighting looks pretty flat though, it's not nearly as contrasty as that 360 shot. I'll remember to blame you for my untimely demise!

Are the pictures taken under the same lighting condition (time of day, weather) ? The color seems off for that particular shot.

The rear mirror does lack the foliage though.

EDIT: Ok.. good point about when the screen was shot. Someone.... let's see the game in motion.

Back