The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about x86 -- apparently Intel will get access to some of the ATi's graphics-related patents. A fresh juice for LRB R&D cycle. ;)
A pretty big briefcase!

According to here a full briefcase would probably be a little over a million in $100 notes....a billion is roughly 10 standard pallets worth so the settlement fee of $1.25b would roughly half fill a shipping container if amd wanted it in $100 notes.
Very notable observation, sir! :D

Globalfoundries is organized as joint venture company (AMD owns 1 voting share and ATIC owns another) so AMD isn't going to relinquish control over GF anytime soon.

It would have a very hard time maintaining parity with ATIC after it bough Chartered with the intent of merging it with GF.
AMD would have contributed almost nothing to a massive investment in the foundry, which by virtue of bringing in Chartered's clients would have diluted AMD's importance as a customer as well.

Abu Dhabi would have been exceedingly generous to basically gift AMD with 50% control over Chartered's operations with nothing expected in return, and AMD has spoken of a means of gradual dilution of its share in GF over time if it failed to meet capital calls for GF.

XBitlabs doing an AMD Press Release:
Over 800 Thousand of DirectX 11 Graphics Chips Shipped – ATI.
The company said that so far it has shipped over 500 thousand ATI Radeon HD 5700-series graphics processing units code-named Juniper and over 300 thousand graphics chips known as Cypress that power ATI Radeon HD 5800-/5900-series graphics adapters. Thanks to partly resolved supply issues with 40nm chips, AMD’s graphics business unit seems to have high chances of shipping around a million of DirectX 11-supporting graphics processors this year.

Posted the above in order to celebrate after reading the 1000th post on the subject "There are noooo 58xx's Anywhere".

Looking at above i have a feeling nvidia is going to report good sales as well this quarter, the demand seems quite huge at the moment. Thinking both (along with alot of other companies) underestimated the pickup in demand that would occur this quarter and failed to place the required number of orders earlier in the year. Will be interesting to see how sustainable they think this will be in the following quarters.

Last edited by a moderator:
rjc said:
"There are noooo 58xx's Anywhere".

Well .... I managed to find one 5970 at EBuyer & Scan (second linkie) have 5850s, 5870s & 5970s.
I'm not suggesting supply isn't constrained but apart from roughly a one week period I've always managed to eventually find some.
Don't know why I look to be honest. Wife won't let me buy one anyway. :cry:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179717

Sapphire HD 5970 OC 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI PCI-E Graphics Card
1 in stock for next day delivery.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/GPU-ATI/670/671/684

Last edited by a moderator:
Well .... I managed to find one 5970 at EBuyer & Scan (second linkie) have 5850s, 5870s & 5970s.
I'm not suggesting supply isn't constrained but apart from roughly a one week period I've always managed to eventually find some.
Don't know why I look to be honest. Wife won't let me buy one anyway. :cry:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179717

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/GPU-ATI/670/671/684

A friend of mine has a solution!
Before COD:MW2 was launched he split with his long term girlfriend (which hates when he play on XBOX), got new game and played non-stop for 2 weeks with friends. Then both of them got together again and now they are happy! (no COD though :LOL:)

Sounds like a good plan except my Wife is so mean she won't even let me have the money so I can divorce her. I've been begging her for 30+ years. ;) :runaway:

Returning to the 5000 series; Scan.co.uk only has the 5850s available just now, however, Aria.co.uk has 5850s, 5870s & 5970s.
I wouldn't like to guess when stock might be described as abundant. (that's a hint for anybody with info on the current situation regarding ATi & TSMC to ..... drop a hint)

I wouldn't like to guess when stock might be described as abundant. (that's a hint for anybody with info on the current situation regarding ATi & TSMC to ..... drop a hint)

Stock should be getting "plenty" this week. As Dave said that the issues were resolved and December would see output pick up, that's exactly what's happening now.

As Dave said that the issues were resolved and December would see output pick up, that's exactly what's happening now.
Actually, I didn't say that. Reporters wrote that based on what I said, which was that we would be seeing the results of increased 40nm capacity that TSMC in the latter half of November.

Actually, I didn't say that. Reporters wrote that based on what I said, which was that we would be seeing the results of increased 40nm capacity that TSMC in the latter half of November.

So, is that opinion of yours from back then still valid? In the (r)etail channel (at least here in germany) it's still quite tough to get a 5800 card. I'm just glad, i bought mine back in september. :)

Its wasn't really an opinion. When I talk about capacity, this is stuff that we ordered some time back, but it obviously takes some time for that to come out of the pipe.

I also said that, even with the increase in capacity, I doubt that will satify the demand yet.

Stock should be getting "plenty" this week. As Dave said that the issues were resolved and December would see output pick up, that's exactly what's happening now.

I had been saying Dec 1 +/- a week, and then I got word it was delayed a bit, Dec 15 +/- a bit. We started seeing increased availibility near the end of the first week of December, around the 8th-10th.

Other than the ~2 week delay, it has been about where ATI said it would be for end user cards. That said, they can't wave a puppy around to save their stock price. :)

-Charlie

:LOL:

I meant they were still in short supply. I thought from the Press reports and what neliz has been saying it would be raining products by Dec 1st. That you would have a wide variety of choices of AIB and retailers to choose from. As it is there is availability now though, but there wasn't when I was doing my holiday shopping and purchasing. Hence they waited too long for me :) (and hence the IMO) That is not a problem though, their job isn't to make me happy (well I guess technically that kind of is their job if they desire people to purchase their hardware, not me per se though, just a group of people who I may or may not be a part of).

It must be hard to be the most popular semi-conductor developer in the world. :( (Among we geeks and nerds anyway)

I think the implication this whole time was that availability would be better in Dec. but that it would still be supply contrained with demand continuing to outstrip any increase in supply.

Regards,
SB

Looks like availability on the 5800 series is good. 5900 OTOH...

I personally will not be buying an ATi card until a proper FAH client comes out which makes use of all the math power available on 4xxx and 5xxx series Radeons. It's sad that's the only thing holding me back from ditching my numerous G92/G94/GT200b cards. I even had to tell a customer of mine today to stick with his G92 because the only app he runs (flight sim) runs so much better on NV cards.

Not that anyone cares, my useage model is so niche I wouldn't expect any major company to even acknowledge my existance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back