AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majority of modern games utilizes more than 3 SPs from R6xx's 5 SPs/processor (I'd say slightly under 4 SPs at the average). Why to change that?

Majority of modern games utilizes more than 3 SPs from R6xx's 5 SPs/processor (I'd say slightly under 4 SPs at the average). Why to change that?

If TMU's is the main bottleneck preventing Radeon 3870 surpassing GF9600GT - then I would I agree with you, and if so - I wonder if 32TMU's would be enough for RV770.

Well I'd say that internal ring bus they've had in R600 and carried onto RV670 and like R7xx family has to serve *some* purpose unless ATI likes to waste resources. As to how it will actually function though, I guess we have to wait and see.
What if it does serve a purpose all along and you just haven't noticed it? Besides, how many extra transistors might it take up, compared to a crossbar? Any ideas?
I'm still amazed this card is supposedly 3 weeks away and we haven't even had a leaked die picture that's legitimate - while Nvidia has had pretty much everything leaked already. Very uncharacteristic.
Well, either it's the new R300 or on June 18, AMD will announce that they actually don't have any new chip because they're broke and that they've been feeding the media tidbits about the new generation to keep the buyers from panicking. Then they'll announce bankruptcy.

A delay? To when? As somebody said, the launch is supposed to be weeks away, yet we don't have any serious info about the cards, not mentioning the lack of any photos. This doesn't smell good at all.

Obviously because they came from 3+1 (in the pixel shader) and now thought, it might be a good idea to go back there. *doh* [/sarcasm]

But otoh if they keep the same approach like with RV670, that re-organization would definitely help their FP64-Performance.

Blocked by my proxy at work :) What does it say?

Its just a summary of all the specs that we know as of right now for the cards.

I'm still amazed that the TDP for the GTX280 is going to be 236W considering even the legendary power usage of the R600 was 215ish of the top of my head.... looks like I might finally have to get into water cooling for these suckers.

Too bad Nvidia SLI boards are so terrible right now or else I would really consider going for two of them..

Blocked by my proxy at work :) What does it say?

12117698854f592cb84bqo6.jpg

From the toms link, looks like they're definitely advertising the ability to process physics, ray tracing, etc.

What's the TeraScale engine?

A delay? To when? As somebody said, the launch is supposed to be weeks away, yet we don't have any serious info about the cards, not mentioning the lack of any photos. This doesn't smell good at all.

It is a exact repeat of the R600 launch. Did anyone forget about that 1 year ago (roughly)? :p. :arrow: But oddly enough it was a complete opposite of the 3870 launch only a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back