New PS3 control system?

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/04/13/vr-controller-for-your-ps3

vr-virtual-reality-controller-for-ps3.jpg

Now THATS what I am talking about. Thats what I call motion sensing.

I can imagine COUNTLESS of possibilities with this.

Sony showed similar demonstrations in the past with the PS2 but they werent put into production for comercial use

You could do some fantastic things in games with that. Virtually gripping and turning a steering wheel in racing games, throwing real punches in boxing games, picking up crates or opening doors slightly in stealth games, throwing footballs, etc.

That could be very intriguing as a default control scheme on PS4. Definitely the next step in user interactivity. Now they need to come up with a head band or something like that to track real time head movements. That would enhance the FPS genre significantly imo, if done well. Basically make it free mouse look.

If they ever use it, they should put two loops on it to fix it to user's palm of the hand. That would be more comfortable.

You could do some fantastic things in games with that. Virtually gripping and turning a steering wheel in racing games, throwing real punches in boxing games, picking up crates or opening doors slightly in stealth games, throwing footballs, etc.

That could be very intriguing as a default control scheme on PS4. Definitely the next step in user interactivity. Now they need to come up with a head band or something like that to track real time head movements. That would enhance the FPS genre significantly imo, if done well. Basically make it free mouse look.

That last part sounds like an INCREDIBLE idea! :D

I can only imagine the immersion FPS game will have with this

as a gamer i play games to relax. hopefully they don't force you to work hard when i am supposed to relax ;)

buttons are fine for me :devilish:

Looks very interesting (wonder what the people who didnt like the wiiremote have to say now that sony has something ''better'' ;)). The only thing I wonder how it is to not have any feedback. It can feel awkward to be supposed to typ or hold a gun but you dont actually have something in your hand or feel when you touch something.

Looks very interesting (wonder what the people who didnt like the wiiremote have to say now that sony has something ''better'' ;)). The only thing I wonder how it is to not have any feedback. It can feel awkward to be supposed to typ or hold a gun but you dont actually have something in your hand or feel when you touch something.

Nano-Vibrators threaded throughout the hand device would allow tactile feedback. They're in development, but probably won't be commercially viable for another 10-15 years.

Also think about servo's that are built into the glove device. So if you close your hand around a gun in the game, the servo in the glove won't allow you to close the glove any further, or will give you enough feedback to have the sense that you have actually gripped something.

The tech exists to do these things. It's just whether it's economically feasible anytime soon. ;)

Wouldn't head tracking be difficult, since if you turn your head to look around a corner for instance, you'd then not be looking at the screen? I suppose it if was really sensitive and you you turned your head a couple of degrees it could take that as turning, but then you'd be required to keep your head really still, which it's that easy for long periods.

Wouldn't head tracking be difficult, since if you turn your head to look around a corner for instance, you'd then not be looking at the screen? I suppose it if was really sensitive and you you turned your head a couple of degrees it could take that as turning, but then you'd be required to keep your head really still, which it's that easy for long periods.

Yea that's why I said it'd have to be done well. hehe. I'm thinking a sensitive bounding box. If you turn your head outside of the bounding box, the screen simply won't go any further. I dunno, I'm not the one designing games based on it. :)

Point is, game designers would find ways to use it effectively. Just as they are doing with the Wiimote today. :)

I'm quite certain that most people look at objects on screen by moving their eyes, not their heads.

Eye trackiing, yeah, I'd go for that. Head tracking? No, that would be exteremely counterintuitive.

I'm quite certain that most people look at objects on screen by moving their eyes, not their heads.

Eye trackiing, yeah, I'd go for that. Head tracking? No, that would be exteremely counterintuitive.

Unless you want lasers bounced off your eyeballs to determine where you're looking, I don't see that happening. ;)

as a gamer i play games to relax. hopefully they don't force you to work hard when i am supposed to relax ;)

buttons are fine for me :devilish:

I will second this. Wii is the limits I will go and be honest, that novelty aspect has already began to wear off.

While this controller idea looks pretty damn neat, I don't know about ALL the time.

I like this. Maybe in combination with the Eyetoy HD, this will allow for some really cool implementations.

I will second this. Wii is the limits I will go and be honest, that novelty aspect has already began to wear off.

While this controller idea looks pretty damn neat, I don't know about ALL the time.

Well I think this controller will be very very welcome if it doesnt mean complete replacement of our already beloved pads. It should be an ideal complimentary controller for every console released and I do hope its released on the PS3 and has enough support.

Well I think this controller will be very very welcome if it doesnt mean complete replacement of our already beloved pads. It should be an ideal complimentary controller for every console released and I do hope its released on the PS3 and has enough support.

Any control scheme that isn't the default for a console just will never get support. We've seen it in every peripheral since time immemorial.

Any control scheme that isn't the default for a console just will never get support. We've seen it in every peripheral since time immemorial.

You are right about that. I think the problem was also due to the fact that such peripherals were sold separately.

I think that if the controller is offered with each console for free like the standard controller, developers will start utilizing since they will know every owner of the console will have it

Back