The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRU deal is suppose to be coming soon, buy 2 games, get third game free. The third game has to be the lowest-priced of the three. But if you buy 2 games at $60 each, the third game could be a $60 one.

But this one-week sale may come just before LBP release.

Spoke with a few forum folks. I think everything LBP on the HDD is wiped. But the published levels are still kept and only accessible via the new version.

Still looking for the source.

I'm sticking with my version. I just booted up LBP beta and saw no changes for now anyway.

I don't mind if everything is gone when the game goes live, as this is a beta after all. Sure it would be nice if some people who put a lot of work into making a level, but if you can make it in a week, you can remake it in a lot less time. ;)

so the core question remains! what will the masses do, if they get tired of fooling around with the editor?
the only thing i see is downloading the really good levels and try to score as many points as possible.
I have two responses to this. 1) Isn't this true of every game out there?! What will the masses do when they tire of shooting people in COD4, or racing tracks in PGR, wiggling the Wiimote in Wii Play? Or get bored of watching LOTR aftetr the 13th viewing? Or get finally tired of listening tp the album they bought and loved and listened to again and again and again? They move on! As long as that doesn't happen 2 days into LBPs lifecycle, it'll have been worth it!

2) LBP isn't going to stop here! They're going to add stuff. When the masses finally get bored of slapping mugshots on walls and building towers of bricks to knock over, and tire of looking for and downloading the levels using all the switches and logic in the game that others have made, there'll be even more levels and designs as the game is extended. This makes LBP less of a film and move of a TV series. LOST or HEROES or Friends or whatever are in essence the same thing every episode, but the difference between episodes and the (extremely dodgy and loose) stories keep it fresh, keep the fans coming back for more. So too with LBP. There'll be new episodes, more stuff to experience, more toys to play with. For longevity I can't see LBP being surpassed by any other title out there, so the 'what if its abandoned' question seems most unapplicable here compared to anywhere else IMO. When will the people who don't make stuff for YouTube tire of visiting YouTube...?

Edit : Case in point ;)
"[It would] be great to make first-person games using similar tools, all from the same universe, or..." he told EGTV last week, before quickly reining himself in and adding: "I don't want to say too much, because we've got some very exciting ideas with that stuff."

Part 2 of the Sackboy "documentary" is finally up. So far, they seem like an excellent way to showcase the games multifaceted nature in an entertaining manner. I was wondering how they were going to do that. What's not clear yet, however, is the medium they plan to use to get these videos to wider audiences. Perhaps movie theatre trailers? They're too long for normal commercials, and, IMO, would lose some of their value if chopped.

Ok good, I'll ignore the "wipe out beta levels" report then. I'll assume all our levels will stay intact upon launch.

EDIT:
h0munkulus, you should watch this episode of 1UP Show: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21812 (19:47)

They discussed LBP level creation briefly. You'll also find some really creative ones (I have not played them yet):
* Patapon
* Shadow of the Colossus (Re-enactment of 1 SotC segment in LBP)
* Pinball (Pinball game -- Not traditional sidescroller)
* Welcome to Pleasantville (Mystery game prototype)

Yeah, the beta seems to have the same effect on the whole 1up team as it has on everyone else. And it seems there are a few people there who agree with me that it should become a standard packin with the PS3 too, for exactly the same reasons ... Cool. Nice episode of 1up too, because the other games aren't bad either. ;) (Resident Evil, WipeOut HD). And their 1up level looks pretty good by the way, I must say.

Also a few hints about the final game which is being playtested by I think Nick Sutner? He mentions that he wonders if people realise how few objects you have in the beta, and how the final game will leave us with a tonne of objects you earn from the single player mode.

Nice stuff. They do the end credits over the Shadow of the Colossus level ... :D

I got in the JP beta test this Friday and played it a bit.

I feel the "play" part of the game feels very lonely if you are doing it solo. It's like being at a theme park all by yourself. It only becomes very fun when you bring in other players. All of this game's best game play mechanics seem to only appear when players > 1.

The "create" part of the game is really overwhelming at first. Even for an experienced gamer. I guess in the full retail game they are not going to throw so many options at you at the same time. There is so much complexity here. It will probably end up like youtube where they are vastly more people watching than creating.

I feel the "play" part of the game feels very lonely if you are doing it solo. It's like being at a theme park all by yourself. It only becomes very fun when you bring in other players. All of this game's best game play mechanics seem to only appear when players > 1.
Yeah, I hope to get some friends in on this one. More the merrier.

Here's a thought... does the game allow a combination offline/online multiplayer? Meaning two people playing on one system (i.e. me and g/f), and two people playing on another?

inefficient said:
It will probably end up like youtube where they are vastly more people watching than creating.
That's still part of the draw, I think. Even without creating your own levels, there's still going to be thousands of user-created maps to choose from, in addition to what's on the disc. And I visit enough gaming forums to find the cream of the crop even without the rating system in the game. Like Quaz's stuff.. hehe.

I have been having so much fun. I've completed the levels, and I have been bouncing around from level to level with random people. Now I am designing my own level. One section done, two more to go.

:) I didn't realize the loneliness until I accidentally joined an MP level. Then I found out what I was missing. You're pretty sensitive to MP dynamics (well, compared to me anyway).

The "create" part of the game is really overwhelming at first. Even for an experienced gamer. I guess in the full retail game they are not going to throw so many options at you at the same time. There is so much complexity here. It will probably end up like youtube where they are vastly more people watching than creating.

Without a doubt, the readers will outnumber the creators. eBay, flickr, YouTube, forums, etc. all has more passive visitors than the "creators". I feel MM should continue to simplify the tools (or even build PC tools if necessary) to encourage different level of participation. Even without authoring levels... the cummulative 5-star ratings is a kind of user-generated content, and it helps everyone to identify the popular levels.

everyone play gravity defiance by Sacul64gc. i only wish it had a race added to it so you could see who can get to the exit fastest.

Ok good, I'll ignore the "wipe out beta levels" report then. I'll assume all our levels will stay intact upon launch.

I don't want to question you, but I would not ass-u-me anything! After all, I'm in the same beta...I understood there was no g'tee these user levels would work with retail.

Playstation board
LittleBigPlanet Beta FAQs

If I create a level or object in the beta will it be available in the full game?
The safe answer to give is no. We will definitely be deleting at least some of the content that has been shared so far if not all. The beta is a test of the online side of the game, so we strongly recommend that you don't invest time building your masterpiece as it will probably be removed before the game is launched. The priority here is for you to test things, try it out, upload plenty, download lots and play multiplayer. There'll be lots of time for you to create the greatest level ever after the game comes out.

PlayStation blog
Please note the following instructions below which will help you install the Public Beta voucher:
1) Public Beta Ends October 11th, 2008
5) This version does not require a DNS redirect and levels created here will be available for consumers at launch of the full title.
Two versions? Or two confused stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back