The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything about religion is like this, in Denmark we had a little thing going with some cartoons, it resulted in burned down ambasedes in some muslim countries (and a nice tax bill to those citizens when they had to pay up). The "funny" thing is that some imans from denmark travelled to Muslim countries with copies of these forbidden drawnings so they could show them to other Muslims (and cause a riot but hey).

Sony is doing what they have to do, and the Muslim cause is yet again causing self inflicted damage that doesnt help those that really need help in Palestine :(

Muslims really aren't doing anything in this case. One Muslim mentions the lyrics and the fear of a backlash has pushed Sony into making an irrational decision. It's all on Sony at the moment. They are wasting their time.

The track is beautiful, a classic even. My favourite in the game and I don't want it censored. Censoring art by a renowened African musician is insane and insulting...

Just like it might be a sin for a Christian to be in a same sex relationship, it might be that Muslims can't mix the Qur'an and music - but what that has to do with the rest of us, when there is no hate or harm intended or even implied, I have no idea. All religious people should keep their beliefs to themselves and not be offended. It's absolutely ridulous.

I also understand that some Muslims believe modern music shouldn't be performed at all (others of course think that if the message is positive, then its fine.) What about playing videogames?

Just to be clear, do you think there is nothing offensive enough to be censorshipworthy?

Inciting hate against others should be censored. Otherwise, no.

By deciding to delay the game and not just silently release a patch, Sony have brought attention to the "controversy". Dum? Or do they want the publicitiy to hit national news and show how understanding and selfless they are? Free publicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I view this episode with an eye towards creative freedom and user-generated content... rather than religion. If not Qur'an issue, it could be something else.

The press and the consumers should take this opportunity to encourage Sony to set up a formalized framework to enable user-generated content.

Sony's stand to disassociate themselves from questionable material is sound. Now that their stand is clear, I hope they can follow up to strengthen their user-generated content strategy. It's a can of worm but I think it's a manageable risk.

I have just received an email from them citing changes in our User Agreement: http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/15

It has provisions for Sony to sell/redistribute our stuff (in general). It's the first step to protect themselves. I can't wait for them to follow up with truly tradable user-generated stuff.

Some of us have no idea how seriously some muslims face such matters. In some muslim countries religion has literally become a part of their lives. If not their life itself

When you grow up in a society where your life is dictated by religious laws, every single day you have to visit a mosque, and special religion police checks your loyalty, you dont think clearly. Religion becomes a part of you. There is some kind of fake eerie feel that God is watching and that your deeds will be subject of holy judgment. It is hard to explain but since I paid a visit many times to such places I understand very well why the muslim informed Sony about it and why Sony reacted like that

Muslims really aren't doing anything in this case. One Muslim mentions the lyrics and the fear of a backlash has pushed Sony into making an irrational decision. It's all on Sony at the moment. They are wasting their time.
If you see how a small extremist group of people react against things like cartoons, a critical movie, a teddy bear called mohammed or writing a book then at some point i can understand Sony. And that is only a small part of the things I remember that happened here in Europa.

Talking about that book isn't it so that their recently even was an attack on a (dutch ?) employee of a British publisher in London ? Maybe all those events have influenced their decision to recall all the discs instead of just using the patch and to distribute the "forbidden" song. I don't think that extremists are so rational that they will say "it's ok Sony has released a patch".

I realise why but the OT is going on a bit now...can we not have a thread for censorship in games? I'm waiting for updates on the game (which this thread is supposed to be about!).

Okay, this thread is off in the wrong direction. There's nothing more to discuss until LBP release, other than new release dates, which I'll ammend. I was looking to close this thread anyhow as it was too unwieldy for a live game discussion thread. Much of this thread's content is outdated. Thread closed.

Those wanting to discuss the political and religious ramifications need to do so in the right forum. Those wanting to talk about the game, the things they've created and the best content they've found, etc. will need to start a new post-launch thread

Update :

Official release dates (PAL territorians sit down and take a deep breath before reading...)

US : From 27th October
PAL territories : Appearing in store no later than the week commencing 3rd November.
Japan : 30th October (no change)

In the US LittleBigPlanet will begin shipping the week of October 27th and so depending how close your nearest shop is to the trucks you may have your hands on a copy that very day. We would love to hear where/who manages to get it first! Leave a comment!
icon_smile.gif

In the UK, Europe, Middle East, Australia and New Zealand LittleBigPlanet should start to appear in stores no later than the week commencing Monday 3rd November. The UK has confirmed that it should be available on the 5th and no later.
In Japan we understand from SCEI that our release date has not changed, it remains the 30th October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back