Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I stated that someone on Beyond 3d in one of their posts had done some calculation for what edram would be needed. It was in this thread I think. Couple days/weeks ago.

I wasn't clear on what you were referencing when you said "last I read"...and must have missed your follow up reply. I haven't seen 300MB mentioned on here, at least recently.

Your not an insider...are you?

We keep getting conflicting information from one side and the other, so to definitively say that the GPU will be weak..

Hey, if you've been following this thread you'd know I was all for the 2+ TF GPU rumours but then bkilian poured cold water over that.

So it seems bgassassin's and other rumours were right when they were talking about a 1+TF GPU in the kits.

This might change for final, but 1-1.5 TF customised GPU seems to be the safe bet for now.

How powerful that is in real world terms is yet to be seen, could well be as good as the HD6870 we originally thought were in the kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's this from last year, and some other posts too. There are tons of configs though. :p

I think 80MB would have been a decent sweet spot for various 720p/1080p AA situations with MRT situations, particularly with FP16, but there's always the silicon cost anyway and just how much performance they can actually get out of it.

Thanks! I could never find the exact post I read.

I wasn't clear on what you were referencing when you said "last I read"...and must have missed your follow up reply. I haven't seen 300MB mentioned on here, at least recently.

Its fine and its been brought up in NUMEROUS threads that we all bounce around on. So anythings possible. I just usually source from this forum if I read it here.

Hey, if you've been following this thread you'd know I was all for the 2+ TF GPU rumours but then bkilian poured cold water over that.

So it seems bgassassin's and other rumours were right when they were talking about a 1+TF GPU in the kits.

This might change for final, but 1-1.5 TF customised GPU seems to be the safe bet for now.

How powerful that is in real world terms is yet to be seen, could well be as good as a HD6870 we originally thought were in the kits.

Again?
But yeah,for fun:LOL:

bkilian only stated dont expect a powerhouse. The definition of "powerhouse" could be read to include anything short of crossfire 7970 ghz editions, if you stretch it far enough.

Too me, it's likely a choice between a 7770 ish and a 7850 ish. I'd be thrilled with the latter at this point, but both fit the definition of "not powerhouse" by PC terms.

The point is a 7850 class would be great while fitting the definition of not a powerhouse.

SRAM is much lower density than eDRAM. Around 3-6x lower. I don't see the attraction for this application, except that it's easier/cheaper to manufacture.

As processes shrink, eDRAM is becoming more difficult and costly to combine with a high performance logic process. Do you see any 28nm parts out there using eDRAM? What about 20nm? Sure you can get it on IBM's 22nm node but that is a very expensive process to be used for very expensive products.

Until TSVs and die stacking mature to allow you to combine a logic die and a DRAM die you will see more SRAM in spots where you used to see eDRAM. Even Intel is rumored to be using a separate DRAM die for Haswell rather than including it as eDRAM on a single die.

As processes shrink, eDRAM is becoming more difficult and costly to combine with a high performance logic process. Do you see any 28nm parts out there using eDRAM? What about 20nm? Sure you can get it on IBM's 22nm node but that is a very expensive process to be used for very expensive products.

Could you give me some examples of 28nm products that are succeeding those that had eDRAM? It seems like a pretty niche application to begin with, with consoles doing a good job filling that niche.

Not that I don't believe you, of course. Someone is already saying that Durango isn't being done on IBM's process so that'd already limit possibilities. Do you think it'd have been much of an option with 32nm at IBM?

Until TSVs and die stacking mature to allow you to combine a logic die and a DRAM die you will see more SRAM in spots where you used to see eDRAM. Even Intel is rumored to be using a separate DRAM die for Haswell rather than including it as eDRAM on a single die.

I assume not all applications have growing embedded memory requirements with every shrink, so eventually it'd make more sense to switch to SRAM regardless. Intel may have the added distinction of wanting to offer SKUs with and without the DRAM (but both using GT3), or at least I think this has been claimed so far - not sure if anyone has verified this. That said, has Intel ever used eDRAM in a product they've manufactured?

I have no knowledge, but just an educated guess based on current rumors...

With all of the information thus far I am going to say that the GPU is a AMD 8xxx mobile based APU that has been modified.

The CPU is a heavily modified Jaguar chipset that is at 1.6Ghz with a shorter pipeline.
This will be $299-$349 at launch.

This is what I am expecting to be honest.

The CPU is a heavily modified Jaguar chipset that is at 1.6Ghz with a short pipeline.

You don't go from pretty long pipeline to short pipeline with heavy modifications, all while arriving at nearly the same peak clock. It just doesn't work that way.

bkilian only stated dont expect a powerhouse. The definition of "powerhouse" could be read to include anything short of crossfire 7970 ghz editions, if you stretch it far enough.

Too me, it's likely a choice between a 7770 ish and a 7850 ish. I'd be thrilled with the latter at this point, but both fit the definition of "not powerhouse" by PC terms.

The point is a 7850 class would be great while fitting the definition of not a powerhouse.

Agreed, the comment was vague enough that trying to lock down specific numbers based on it is silly. After nearly a decade, any of these gpus are huge step up.

Actually, he did more than that, he called into question my belief that the box would have a GPU around 2TF.

This and bgassassin's original statement (which was only ever contradicted by the leaked devkit pics, so it makes sense to reinstate him now that speculation was incorrect) that Durango was 1+ TF means I'm more inclined to go with a HD7770.

The 7850 at 1.76 TF is too close to the PS4 1.8TF GPU, and so would give no reason for lherre and bgassassin sources to say Durango had more RAM, cores etc but weaker GPU.

And now aegies has said that the AMD China guy is inaccurate we can ignore that info as well.

I'm still waiting on someone to do a compilation of all the info leaked by sweetvar as he seemed legit.

Wii U's bloody ridiculous.

For OS footprint, look at everything XB360 can do in 32 MBs. It can already do pretty much everything you could really want, so why would you need anything above 10x as much RAM to achieve the same ends? .

Does 360's OS use 32 MB of RAM all the time? Or is that just the system overhead when in game and when in the main dash it uses more?

Actually, he did more than that, he called into question my belief that the box would have a GPU around 2TF.

This and bgassassin's original statement (which was only ever contradicted by the leaked devkit pics, so it makes sense to reinstate him now that speculation was incorrect) that Durango was 1+ TF means I'm more inclined to go with a HD7770.

The 7850 at 1.76 TF is too close to the PS4 1.8TF GPU, and so would give no reason for lherre and bgassassin sources to say Durango had more RAM, cores etc but weaker GPU.

And now aegies has said that the AMD China guy is inaccurate we can ignore that info as well.

I'm still waiting on someone to do a compilation of all the info leaked by sweetvar as he seemed legit.

I guess what he said is Durango devkits don't have the hardware leaked by chinese guy. But the devkits are not the same than final hardware.

Listen to whoever was on the 8 core 8 gig specs way back, early codename leaks, and confirmed devs/ex-devs. Everyone else is just throwing shit at the walls to see what sticks or fufills fanboy dreams.

Sweetvar info is compiled somewhere in this thread already. Mostly just codenames and spec is probably out of date by now.

Again bkilian did not talked about tflops.
I think you need to read that neogaf thread(it's over 28pages with 1350+ replies now),he clearly said it's not dev kit,and some other person in neogaf thread did not counting these rumors out,even aegies didn't.

And no one in that thread talked about "weaker GPU" anymore,it's old.

If the kits have a 1-1.5 TF GPU in them, it's unlikely that the final product will be shipping with high end GPUs with 3TF+ as the 8800 series are. While the final GPU may very well be of similar architecture to the 8800, I highly doubt it will match them in pure flops, given what we know. Did the AMD China guy specify a FLOPS number? Are you sure he doesn't just mean to say its a HD8000 series/Sea Islands GPU?

As otherwise, this AMD China rumour contradicts everything we've heard from bgassassin,lherre and bkilian on here

Bkilian also said your BC claim was bogus, so maybe these sources you are pushing shouldn't be trusted
And about BC
Right now MS tested 200+ 360 games run on Durango,about 80% can play on Durango,others need patch or they will give up .

First line is my guess based on AMD china guy source.
Second line is my source,i know a MS guy but he never told me any important part.

Might need to get your source checked, that's bogus info.

If the kits have a 1-1.5 TF GPU in them, it's unlikely that the final product will be shipping with high end GPUs with 3TF+ as the 8800 series are.

This AMD China rumour contradicts everything we've heard from bgassassin,lherre and bkilian on here

Why good evidence do we have that he is to be trusted anyway?
First,why you think the kit only have 1-1.5tf GPU?

Because that thread make many person(like aegies,iherre,karak etc) inside,and no one said it's must be fake...but that's not main point,the main point is,that thread made them get in and leak some new rumors,what chinese guy said doesn't matter anymore.

And none of them talk about "weak" in that thread btw.

If the kits have a 1-1.5 TF GPU in them, it's unlikely that the final product will be shipping with high end GPUs with 3TF+ as the 8800 series are.

This AMD China rumour contradicts everything we've heard from bgassassin,lherre and bkilian on here

Why good evidence do we have that he is to be trusted anyway?

Bkilian also said your BC claim was bogus:

No his not quoting my BC talk,his quoting my Kinect talk
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1690385#post1690385
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1690386#post1690386
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1690469#post1690469

Karak guy also said BC is happening.

First,why you think the kit only have 1-1.5tf GPU?

Karak guy also said BC is happening.

I want to be clear. Whomever has told me about this last couple weeks announcements(E3 Twitter) and that some devs were going to leak and so forth has been right on times and dates. BUT, and this is a big but, I have pointed out ENDLESSLY in the Neogaf thread that they are 1 to 2 steps removed from particular elements. They did say BC was in. But others here, who know more about specs and system ability and ALL that jazz, seem to think it may not be. One thing I will always question is information, even if the person has been proven right on one thing means he may have old data on that. Or crossed wires. Or something.

That should not negate others and what they have said on either side of the fence. I am just saying that mine...isn't the normal tech person. Thus what I usually post about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back