Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't Alan Wake 2 already at over 2GB/S in some places ? On PC at least.
Just because it can use more than 2GB/S doesn't mean it needs it, though. I haven't seen the data, but measuring usage without comparing performance would be meaningless to this conversation. If the game needs to load 2GB in the next 4 seconds, but it does it in 1, that means a ~500 MB/S drive would be within spec to be "fine".

Yeah, but does that actually bring anything much to the game? Seeing the same games run on PC, it suggests again that these were techs to deal with problems that haven't developed.

That's precisely the point. Sony had to plan the hardware for expected workloads. This might be one of those occasions where the hardware got the prediction wrong. cf. XB360's built in MSAA that ended up not terribly useful as engines evolved. The supposition is that Sony made a create design for their predicted workloads, but got the prediction wrong. Final judgement will be reserved for end of the generation, but at this point it's looking probable that the SSD was too much and unnecessary. Notably, ports to PC of Sony's first party titles, maybe not on the table when the PS5 was being spec'd, requires games from everyone to work on a lower baseline.

Would the cost savings have been significant if they launched with a 2 GB/s drive?
On PC things can be done differently. First the CPU is usually twice more powerful so it can decompress things, then you have more ram so you need less just-in-time streming of data (I'd guess they could load all the animations data in memory for SM2 port), then finally for fast travel they can do partial loading of assets like in Spider-man on PC.

In this game when doing a fast travel when all assets are loading in <2 sec on PS5 the PC (or steam deck) will need much longer and up to ~10 sec or more depending of CPU power. NXGamer showed this in one of this analysis. It's subtle as usually you won't see the assets that are not loaded, or you won't notice those are the lower resolution types, but it's there when you know where to look at and compared directly to PS5. It means even the most powerful PC still doesn't perform I/O as fast a PS5 when doing fast travel in Spider-man. It can also be seen in the cutscenes where often the higher resolution textures are not loaded quickly enough on PC. But only people directly comparing with the PS5 version could notice it.

Just because it can use more than 2GB/S doesn't mean it needs it, though. I haven't seen the data, but measuring usage without comparing performance would be meaningless to this conversation. If the game needs to load 2GB in the next 4 seconds, but it does it in 1, that means a ~500 MB/S drive would be within spec to be "fine".

Game seems to average around 240 MB/s or something like that. I'm sure the game runs fine on a lot of standard SSDs. It's not like the alan wake specs required an nvme.

It can also be seen in the cutscenes where often the higher resolution textures are not loaded quickly enough on PC. But only people directly comparing with the PS5 version could notice it.

Those few cutscenes with the texture loading issues on Spiderman 1 on the PC will never have their high res counterparts loaded unless you pause the game from one to a few seconds, and the exact same behavior it seen from a 5400rpm HDD vs a 7gb/sec NVME, or a r5 3600 vs 12900k. The fact those same assets don't load in slowly on other cutscenes, indicates it's not necessarily decompression throughput as the culprit. That, and the fact Mlles Morales exhibits these texture loading issues to a far lesser degree (if at all) indicates this is perhaps more of an implementation issue/bug with the PC version that wasn't, or couldn't be fixed without more significant modifications that had occured with MM. Again, do not take NxGamer's hypothetical conclusions as necessarily the actual underlying technical reason.

I'm aware of that. I'm only looking at the bleeding-edge 5.5 GB/s SSD and suggesting 2 GB/s would have sufficed. And we aren't even approaching half the BW requirements that'll tax the SSD. What do you think is going to change in the next few years such that 3x the BW is going to be required?
Who's be speaking about I/O bandwidth in games? saw Insomniac did a tech interview on Spider-Man 2 with DF but I've not caught it all yet.

Impressive considering the form factor, but that's about it. Still some Capcom jankiness with TAA on every platform other than console for some reason. Ultimately though, it's a no-buy, some serious frame pacing issues and even if you want to avoid the awful touchscreen controls, the controller latency makes controlling this a struggle regardless of the input method.

Just further reiterates why we still need dedicated portable gaming devices. The form factor of phones, even with the most advanced mobile soc on the planet, is just too limiting for AAA games. Ram/storage limitations, the phone becoming very hot (and shutting down important phone functions to compensate), and the resulting accessories needed to get any decent level of control (and thus negating the size advantage) just make them largely unsuitable for this class of gaming.

Impressive considering the form factor, but that's about it. Still some Capcom jankiness with TAA on every platform other than console for some reason. Ultimately though, it's a no-buy, some serious frame pacing issues and even if you want to avoid the awful touchscreen controls, the controller latency makes controlling this a struggle regardless of the input method.

Just further reiterates why we still need dedicated portable gaming devices. The form factor of phones, even with the most advanced mobile soc on the planet, is just too limiting for AAA games. Ram/storage limitations, the phone becoming very hot (and shutting down important phone functions to compensate), and the resulting accessories needed to get any decent level of control (and thus negating the size advantage) just make them largely unsuitable for this class of gaming.
Exactly. I also have very little desire to play a game like this on my cell phone. Nice tech demo though.

The results mostly subscribe to the theory that deferred renderers with multiple renderpasses per fullscreen pass aren't a great fit for mobile devices. Their memory system can't keep up with the demands of the G-buffer and compute shaders are hobbled by the constraints of tile memory ...

This is a bizarrely aggressive response to someone who has chosen to evaluate the merits of the product vs the cost being asked, and simply chosen to opt-out as he doesn't feel the content is worth the asking price. He didn't write a screed against monetization as a whole or direct people to a list of ad blockers to 'steal' content, he simply stated the ads are too much, and as such now no longer consumes the content. This is how selling products works, you do not have a moral compulsion to support any companies business model, especially one that relies heavily on misinformation as a revenue generator.
They literally said the 'cost' factor of what it would take to run such a service wasn't a factor for them at all, and 'wasn't their problem'.

There was no evaluation made here, it's just, "I am used to getting such an incredibly rich online service for free, and so am very sensitive to any degree of increase in ad saturation".

It's just people being spoiled by having access to one of the wonders of the internet for free and largely without compromise, but now people are being asked to maybe watch some longer ads, and because people have been super spoiled and entitled, this is just NOT ACCEPTABLE anymore to where they're arguing it's some huge deal and an outrage.

It's just people being entitled.

I pre-ordered the original SteamDeck but cancelled it once reviews of the screen came out and really wished they had launched an OLED version.. seventeen months ago. Now it's that old Zen2 core so I'll wait for the inevitable Zen4 update, like the chip that's in the ROG Ally.

You are likely to be waiting another 2+ years then. Valve has stated they aren't going to even start looking at making a Deck 2 until there's a clear generational leap in hardware and they currently aren't seeing that in anything rumored to be releasing in the next year.

There's an interview linked in the Steam Deck forum thread.

Regards,
SB

You are likely to be waiting another 2+ years then. Valve has stated they aren't going to even start looking at making a Deck 2 until there's a clear generational leap in hardware and they currently aren't seeing that in anything rumored to be releasing in the next year.
It feels like Valve may be repeating their Steam Machine missteps, where they also didn't update them and demand dropped off a cliff.

With a portable gaming device, you are already making all sorts of compromises on the hardware but that Zen2 tech is four years old this month and is not getting more capable over time. I would like to see Steam make their portable OS installable on other hardware because that is really what they're bringing to the party. The Decks' interface is great, and this device exists to sell more games on Steam. They really should be leveraging that because the ROG Ally hardware is good, but the UI is nowhere near as good as the Deck.

Even a month on from its release, the 2023 reboot of Lords of the Fallen still has clear issues on console and PC. The use of Unreal Engine 5 allows for lumen and nanite technologies here, and this is a true current-gen PS5, Xbox Series X and S game. However this technology isn't optimised well for its 60fps performance mode on console - with extreme hang-ups dragging play down to single digit frame-rates.
Note: the game was tested for this video on patch 1.1.293, but all issues persist on today's patch 1.1.310 (or 1.16 in the system menus) - as shown in this Series S re-test below:

00:00 Introduction
02:24 Xbox Series S Performance
06:08 Xbox Series X Performance
08:44 PlayStation 5 Performance + Three-Way Perf Comparison
10:14 30fps Quality Mode
11:19 Mode Comparison
14:29 Verdict

Fallout 4 had a similar problem on PS4/XB1 at launch I believe. At some point, you're just taxing the memory system too much and it buckles. It's not just that those sections are so CPU/GPU demanding that the framerate tanks so hard.

It's also probably somewhat telling that the problem seems to mainly exist on Xbox consoles. Seems like they probably optimized more around PS5's I/O capabilities, or at the least, the PS5's I/O is simply above the bar to where this issue is experienced. I imagine it's something that will get fixed eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back