Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Ah that was refreshing...

Relevance, Cyberpunk 2077 developer calling out the people comparing Starfield to Cyberpunk 2077 (and saying Starfield is worse) as the same kind of people that were comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to GTA VI/V/other game (and saying Cyberpunk 2077 was worse). And him saying that all these fake outrage videos are harmful to the industry.

Regards,
SB

Relevance, Cyberpunk 2077 developer calling out the people comparing Starfield to Cyberpunk 2077 (and saying Starfield is worse) as the same kind of people that were comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to GTA VI/V/other game (and saying Cyberpunk 2077 was worse). And him saying that all these fake outrage videos are harmful to the industry.

Regards,
SB

Well, it seems the bar is getting lower with each big title. Future games will be less polished than StarField now.

Well, it seems the bar is getting lower with each big title. Future games will be less polished than StarField now.
I am not sure how starfield has anything to do with this. This is a good game that launched in pretty good shape. We have seen disastrous launches this year. This is not one of those.

I am not sure how starfield has anything to do with this. This is good game that launched in pretty good shape. We have seen disastrous launches this year. This is not one of those.

Regards,
SB
While I agree this specific video is ”fake criticism” as it’s more outrage generator than good faith comparison (the video poster’s username gives you a good clue about his Twitter posts), not all of it is unfair comparison. Water interaction seems a bit pointless in a space sim, but the crowd reactions are somewhat legit. Do NPCs not react to gunplay for player convenience (to foster more chill exploration or counter accidental discharge) or to save the CPU cycles?

The real question is why does the dev highlight this video? Is he fighting Twitter algos or human nature? Have “times changed” (no) or have the tables turned? Are we really talking about “fake criticism” or unfair expectations? I’m probably overthinking a spur-of-the-moment pushback against general internet ugliness pettiness.

The real question is why does the dev highlight this video? Is he fighting Twitter algos or human nature? Have “times changed” (no) or have the tables turned? Are we really talking about “fake criticism” or unfair expectations? I’m probably overthinking a spur-of-the-moment pushback against general internet ugliness pettiness.
He may be sympathetic to it since he went through it with Cyberpunk and now sees other people dunking on Starfield in a way that is unfair.
Cyberpunk actually was stop sold on Sony’s store due to performance implications they no longer wanted to process refunds, Starfield is a really well running title by comparison.
We shouldn’t be dunking on games that don’t have these features otherwise we are just going to ask devs to load up on things that don’t matter to making the experience fun.

I sort of get why you may want to speak out about it.

Some more testing to piggyback my previous testing, here: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...09-01-early-access.60789/page-51#post-2314539

Just fyi @Dictator as well since this was more ecores based testing.

13600k: 56x P, 45x E, 50ring
Mem = 15/4000 tightly tuned 2x16 bdie
GPU = stock 4090 FE
No games mods

Cpu bound scenario. 6 Pcores and 0 Ecores:

image.png

Cpu bound scenario. 6 Pcores and 8 Ecores:

image.png

GPU bound scenario. 6 Pcores and 0 Ecores:

image.png

GPU bound scenario. 6 Pcores and 8 Ecores:

image.png

If you're on W11 and RPL, leave ecores on as the game jumps between cpu and gpu bound scenarios frequently. Either way, disable HT though. Not only will you get lower avg fps but more frametime fluctuations. The real crime here is under utilization of the 4090. 277w and shows 99%.....

Side note: reducing shadows from Ultra to high which is sometimes being passed off as a holy grail on nvidia yields 5fps additional in this scene. YMMV ofcourse scene to scene

Last edited:
One last test for today as I wanted to test rebar enforced via nvprofileinspector.

An interesting finding. When leaving shadows on Ultra, the FPS gain is 1-2fps at best. So not worth it but what happens when we force rebar AND lower shadows to high?

15%+ gains with the combination of Rebar + High Shadows:

image.png

Just as important, now look at the power draw compared to the screens. We went up by 15w in power draw and gained 15% in performance. Still about 80w short of what an actual GPU bound scenario would be. Overall, technically, it's an impressive PoS but "something...something, potatoes I suppose.

While I agree this specific video is ”fake criticism” as it’s more outrage generator than good faith comparison (the video poster’s username gives you a good clue about his Twitter posts), not all of it is unfair comparison. Water interaction seems a bit pointless in a space sim, but the crowd reactions are somewhat legit. Do NPCs not react to gunplay for player convenience (to foster more chill exploration or counter accidental discharge) or to save the CPU cycles?

To be fair, he's talking about that video and, importantly, videos like that. Basically videos created purely to generate views and bad reactions. IE - playing to the audience that is already convinced that X game isn't doing anything special by comparing the worst of X game to the best of Y game and just ignoring anytime that X game does anything better than Y game. And then that has the unfortunate fallout of convincing people who don't know any better than X game really is shite compared to Y game.

Even worse, as it mostly focuses on visuals and completely ignores gameplay. IE - the other side of the coin of hyper aggressive focus on graphics and presentation while ignoring gameplay which leads to, IMO, the increasingly worse gameplay in AAA games over the past couple of console hardware generations. Basically people are being conditioned, either inadvertently or purposefully, to think that graphics are the only thing that matters in games.

What he isn't saying is that valid criticism isn't valid or good.

Regards,
SB

Almost 30hrs in, would have been way more if the FG mod didn't crash every now and then. The start was quite humdrum compared to Fallout4, but the rest of it has been way better. Can't really rate the story right now, since I've barely completed any story missions and there are already 20 something side-missions/activities waiting while exploring the different planets/moons.

Now almost 60hrs in, back to doing side-missions after I tried to quickly go through story missions since I posted the above.

It's hard to gauge the scale of this game compared to FO4, since I have almost 60 side-missions/activities on my plate, and they all seem to have a decent backdrop to them and not just 'General go save this guy/settlement, I'll mark it on your map' radiant quest structure. And I rushed through the story on Akila/Neon where I might have picked up dozens of side quests too.

I have a hundreds of hours in FO4 over the years, and they might just be enough for a single playthrough of Starfield.

Back