PlayStation Showcase 2023

Miles Morales runs at 80fps while looking better than this (which was running at 30fps BTW). This is directly caused by cross-gen development. Could even be cross-gen with PS4 and PC.

The first time I saw the cutscene without knowing it was Spider-man 2 I immediatly thought it was a PS4 / PS5 game. And where were those beautiful RT reflections? Is it developed by a new Team B at Insomniac?
Miles Morales didn't look better than this as a whole. There's still plenty of aspects here that are an evolutionary improvement.

Lack of RT reflections are noticeable, but not at all the defining aspect of the presentation makeup.

Dont expect much difference. Some resolution, draw distance, etc improvements, but it's all gonna have the same basic tech makeup. This is why doing 30fps as the target makes such a difference. You can do a lot more without having to worry about any kind of scalability.
People want 60fps though. That's just how it is. People are either going to have to deal with the graphics as they are and hope devs rework their engines to better take advantage of the resources they have on offer and get more creative, or prepare to be disappointed for the gen

Other games are irrelevant. This is what Insomniac are capable of with their technology and a 16ms requirement. They'd be capable of a lot more with a 33ms target instead.
Why are they irrelevant? Forbidden West has a 60fps and a 40fps mode, while looking significantly better with far more complex environments and water tech.
Also it looks like the previous cross gen Spiderman games, which demonstrates that there was room for improvement.
Your argument at best supports that it is a technology/engine issue and not a framerate issue.

Surprisingly middling showing. There were a lot of third party games I am interested in, but I already knew about all of them. There were a lot of cgi trailers which I can't really guess about and a lot of your typical games as a service titles which I feel like was too much. there has to be some there but I don't think they were what people came to see. And most importantly, there was only one first party studio on show. Where are all the other studios after 2 years?

il_fullxfull.4491910084_r438.jpg

🤷‍♂️

If it's an issue with the engine insomniac are using, then they probably need to either upgrade their engine or move to a new one. I get the feasibility of that is difficult due to the scheduling of having to be working on a new project constantly rather than underlying tech, but still it's worth looking into

I think Unreal 5 engine has spoiled us somewhat, and the possibilities of what it can achieve graphically. :yep2:

People want 60fps though. That's just how it is. People are either going to have to deal with the graphics as they are and hope devs rework their engines to better take advantage of the resources they have on offer and get more creative, or prepare to be disappointed for the gen
People think they want 60fps.

People were also perfectly happy playing games at 30fps last gen. Almost every major PS4 blockbuster title that got mountains of praise and love were 30fps titles. 99% of these '60fps or die' folks would have little issue going back to 30fps if they had no other option.

But yea, I've been saying for a while now that if this '60fps or die' mentality starts manifesting within development studios, this generation will be disappointing from a technical standpoint, as devs will not be pushing the hardware like it could be. It's basically like halving the entire generation leap, from a processor horsepower standpoint.

Miles Morales didn't look better than this as a whole. There's still plenty of aspects here that are an evolutionary improvement.

Lack of RT reflections are noticeable, but not at all the defining aspect of the presentation makeup.
In Spider-man 1 and Miles Morales most buildings had big and obvious reflecting windows. Here I could mostly notice opaque curtains on those windows on many buildings (without reflections). For me this screams "PS4 game done by team B up-resed at native 4K and running on PS5".

And the obvious polygons, low quality textures and unconvincing lighting on the first cutscene are shocking.

The only thing PS5-esque here is the speed of Spider-man traversing the city. Kraken is doing its job alright but the rest screams PS4. Maybe this started as a PS4 game and they decided to ditch that version along the way.

Why are they irrelevant? Forbidden West has a 60fps and a 40fps mode, while looking significantly better with far more complex environments and water tech.
Also it looks like the previous cross gen Spiderman games, which demonstrates that there was room for improvement.
Your argument at best supports that it is a technology/engine issue and not a framerate issue.
Because those studios have different technologies and priorities.

You cant just separate the technology and the framerate aspect as two different things. They are very much interlinked. If the goal was to build a more technically impressive game with a 30fps target, they'd have put more development effort into this area in order to really push the hardware.

Because those studios have different technologies and priorities.

You cant just separate the technology and the framerate aspect as two different things. They are very much interlinked. If the goal was to build a more technically impressive game with a 30fps target, they'd have put more development effort into this area in order to really push the hardware.
What does different technologies and priorities even mean? When you know that it is feasible to push more while still having a 30fps and a 60fps mode, because you have examples, then it boils down to three things.
Technology (aka engine), time and effort.

People think they want 60fps.

People were also perfectly happy playing games at 30fps last gen. Almost every major PS4 blockbuster title that got mountains of praise and love were 30fps titles.
Because they had to be. To even run the games themselves. This generation you can get away with not doing that and having reduced graphical fidelity. Which will also be mitigated somewhat with optional 30fps modes. The most important thing is creativity of the devs more than forcing games to 30fps nowadays.

I am rewatching it again, and the footage is still 30fps while other games running at 60fps look significantly smoother. I think we were looking at the 30fps mode.

Possibly, I wasn't really paying attention to the combat speed (fps), the subpar leap in graphics was throwing me off considering Insomniac's past achievements in this area.

What does different technologies and priorities even mean? When you know that it is feasible to push more while still having a 30fps and a 60fps mode, because you have examples, then it boils down to three things.
Technology (aka engine), time and effort.
It means that by aiming for 60fps, they had less ambition in terms of upgrading their technology and presentation values. They knew this would result in limitations and so put less effort and priority into this area than they otherwise would have.

Back