Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dictator did CDPR mention how many GI bounces they're doing for each RESTIR sample? It would be good to see how Psycho and Overdrive differ in this scene for example.
Psycho only supports a first RT bounce from the sky then subsequent bounces are done through probes. So one RT bounce + a second raster bounce (in total 2).

As for ReSTIR, in Portl RTX, it only supported a max of 4 bounces, later it got updated to support 8. I am guessing for Cyberpunk it supports 4, at the very least.

But on Ada it seemingly appears to impact performance by just around 20%.
Keep in mind DLAA is used in this shot (meaning the game runs even higher than native 4K), I am guessing this will also favor Ada with its huge Compute and ML resources.

Last edited:
The lighting is next gen now, but the rest isn't. Although it gets fairly close with HD Reworked textures. But still, asset quality, particles and draw distance is lacking compared to Nanite stuff and TLOU.

I wouldn't call that a next gen experience just yet.

Every "next gen" game (I'm not sure what we really mean by that now) is going to have it's own set of compromises and weaknesses that someone can point to and say "I've seen better" or "that aspect is last gen" but as an overall package I don't see how there can be any doubt that this version of the game is right up there with anything that's been released to date.

The lighting is next gen now, but the rest isn't. Although it gets fairly close with HD Reworked textures. But still, asset quality, particles and draw distance is lacking compared to Nanite stuff and TLOU.

I wouldn't call that a next gen experience just yet.
Draw distance in TLOU? Are we talking about the same game?

I am just glad that PC hardware can finally stretch it's legs with next gen visuals of it's own, independent of the reliance on console ports and the likes. It really remins me of the good old Crysis and Far Cry days. I miss those days, and I miss the enjoyment I get from interacting with state of the art graphics.
Pfffft. Thats because PS5 is holding its secret sauce for the right time.

If the final version holds close to 60 fps on 4070 Ti in upscaled 1440p using DLSS3 I reckon I'll finally dust off my copy and play. I think it looks absolutely amazing.

Too bad that math doesn't translate to games lol
It does. There are games that run at a higher resolution on PS5 than Series X. And early example would be Assassins Creed Valhalla. Another would be The Tourist. Immortals Fenyx Rising is a third. Gotham Knights would be a forth. Call of the sea would be a fifth. There are games that run at the same resolution but with smoother performance as well.

It does. There are games that run at a higher resolution on PS5 than Series X. And early example would be Assassins Creed Valhalla. Another would be The Tourist. Immortals Fenyx Rising is a third. Gotham Knights would be a forth. Call of the sea would be a fifth. There are games that run at the same resolution but with smoother performance as well.
Majority of games series x runs 60fps at higher res than the ps5 90%

As for ReSTIR, in Portl RTX, it only supported a max of 4 bounces, later it got updated to support 8. I am guessing for Cyberpunk it supports 4, at the very least.

In the original RESTIR GI paper only 25% of pixels get multiple bounces of indirect light each frame. The rest get just one bounce. It works out ok because of all the spatial and temporal reuse of neighboring samples. It would be interesting to know what was done for the CP 2077 implementation.

In practice, sampling long paths in every pixel of every frame may cause a significant performance impact. As a result, we only follow multi-bounce paths in 25% of the pixels; doing so gives good results with a much lower performance cost. Randomly choosing pixel for these paths can hurt performance because of low thread coherency. Therefore, we divide the screen into tiles of 64 × 32 pixels and apply Russian roulette at the tile level. Tiles that fail the Russian roulette test are rendered using single-bounce indirect paths, just computing direct illumination at the sample point.

Boys we have “can it run crysis” of our time. This is simply stunning!!

Btw is this Nvidia exclusive ? Or can I run it on any card?

Runs surprisingly well on a 4090. I thought it'd be basically unplayable but it's really not. With DLSS Quality you can achieve close to 60fps on a 4090 at 3440x1440 and Ultra settings with Psycho RT. I could probably easily do 60fps locked with some tweaks (dropping Psycho RT for one but not sure if it makes a difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back