Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Reviews

Was that 30% performance gain for the RT operations only, or the entire game?

That tweet could mean either, but if you speed up RT performance by 29%, then an overall game speedup of 11% doesn't seem too off the mark.

They quoted performance increases in specific games so it has to be overall performance. 30% would be impressive but 10% isn’t bad either. Would be nice if Nvidia shared how they came up with their numbers but that’s not going to happen.

They quoted performance increases in specific games so it has to be overall performance. 30% would be impressive but 10% isn’t bad either. Would be nice if Nvidia shared how they came up with their numbers but that’s not going to happen.
It's Nvidia so it could easily be just the RT calculations or even a specific, best case frame from the game.

Last edited:
Portal with RTX is pulling almost 600W if I unlock the power limit :ROFLMAO:

You must be running at 4k, right? At 1440p with all the Nvidia Remix settings set to Ultra, DLSS Quality, and Frame Generation on, I only pull around 350-365W with GPU utilization >95% and CPU (Ryzen 5900x) around 15-20%. I can't get the FPS to show either through Afterburner or Nvidia's Performance Overlay (which shows "N/A"). Not sure what the deal is but I've seen others reporting the same issue.

Beat the game again and had forgotten how awesome the ending credits song is. "This was a triumph...."

The 30% performance improvement brought by SER does NOT mean 30% improvement of a single frame rendering performance. Rendering a single frame is consist of tons of complex tasks and not all these tasks could get benefits from SER.

The implementation described above resulted in a 20-30% speed increase in Lumen reflections on the GPU, measured when profiling a typical workload in UE5 City Sample.

You must be running at 4k, right? At 1440p with all the Nvidia Remix settings set to Ultra, DLSS Quality, and Frame Generation on, I only pull around 350-365W with GPU utilization >95% and CPU (Ryzen 5900x) around 15-20%. I can't get the FPS to show either through Afterburner or Nvidia's Performance Overlay (which shows "N/A"). Not sure what the deal is but I've seen others reporting the same issue.

Beat the game again and had forgotten how awesome the ending credits song is. "This was a triumph...."

Finished it on 4K and it's surprisingly smooth, though there were some crashes. Note: do not change the original game's video settings. It breaks things.

You can toggle SER from the dev settings, in this instance it gives about 22% uplift just by itself, it can vary greatly depending on the scene (makes sense)

portalwithrtx-direct3h2fbk.png

portalwithrtx-direct3lif40.png

Enabling it for the GBuffer does nothing here for perf, but introduces some instability in the resolve.

Last edited:
It that surprising?
A bit, if you consider that barely anything else pushes the GPU this much. From further experimentation I did notice enabling SER bumps the power draw by 50-70W, likely because of better GPU utilization.

I still limit it to 360W, unlocking the power draw gains me 7% perf, but at almost twice the power draw so it doesn't make much sense to go beyond that :)

So I just grabbed my card yesterday. My very short experience so far;
  • Very easy to fit the bundled 16pin adapter. I heard very clear clicking noise without applying any excessive force and it fit like a glove. I wiggled it just to confirm but wouldn't come out and gave a final push.
  • The card is slightly longer and thicker than GameRock 3080 but about as same tall. It fits the case (Fractal Design Meshify S2) and can close the side panel without a hastle. I felt kinda bad and wish didn't order the cablemod custom adapter.
  • Tried Valhalla, Cyberpunk, ME:EE, RDR2, GOTG benchmarks, no coil whine whatsoever.
  • Performance uplift compared to my RTX3080 (1860/21000MHz) at 3840*1620 with all the bells and whistles without DLSS is about to 80-110% (2685-2730MHz/21000MHz). CPU bottleneck is apparent on HZD, SOTTR, FC6 benchmark routines at this screen resolution.
  • The card doesn't seem to have much power load on PCIe slot, seen 20W max so far at 450W power limit. On my 3*8pin RTX3080 GameRock OC it was hanging close to 50W at 440W.
  • 16pin adapter voltage drops from 12.20V to 12.00V at 450W, on Seasonic SS-1000XP circa 2012 PSU. No OCP trip, I didn't have any problems with 440W RTX3080 either, the 4000 series cards are supposed to be easier on PSU than 3080/3090.
r/nvidia - Palit RTX 4090 GameRock OC, first impressions

Last edited:
Back