Folding@home Beyond3D_Team - Summer 2023 Call for NVidia RTX users

Keep up the good work, folks! We've already pushed into the top 630 teams. Among others, we've pushed aside Romania, the Rochester Institute of Technology, bitGAMER, Texas Christian University, and ActivisionBlizzard!

Apologies for the delayed update (I know you all were very concerned)!

We have breached rank 550 and left the Swiss, Lazy Cats, and Snowmen in our dust. We're building momentum to overtake those Sweaty Bois, the folks over at Fold4Jesus.com, KitGuru, and General Motors!

Even though Folding point inflation is real and worse than power levels in DBZ, we still generated a bunch in August --- over 700 million! In fact, with only 4 to 6 of us regularly folding, we ranked 61st in the world in points produced in August. Maybe when it gets cooler, more people will be inclined to heat up their homes with some hot GPU action. Carry on!

Here we are again, lads, another glorious Friday, and another update brimming with promise. We continue to rout the sorry teams in front of us, scattering them like chaff in the wind. By this time next week, we should be in the Top 500.... IN THE WORRRLLLLDDDDDDDD!

Looking ahead, we are currently gaining on nearly every team between 500 and 250. However, if we want to reach 250 before the rest of my beard turns grey--and I know you do--we need to recruit more soldiers to the cause! Sound the horns, beat the drums, and sally forth!

We made it! We're in the elite Top 500 Folding Teams in the woorrlllllddddddd.... I'd like to thank each of you, your mothers and mine, the almighty Jensen, and TSMC for making this incredible accomplishment a reality.

I remember WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day being a B3D F@H participant; man that's been a long while. Thank you for bumping this thread as I'm now again an active participant. The 5950x and 3080Ti UVOC says it should chew through just over 8.3M PPD now that I'm back in the running :)

Last edited:
Been tinkering with my system off and on while researching my performance being lower than expected. I had forgotten I turned off one of my CCD's so I was "down" to 8c / 16t which seemed to perform incrementally better on a few of my older games. Screw that! 5950x is now back to both CCDs enabled and I'm now running 16c / 32t at 4.45GHz consistently, which put my CPU PPD back where it should be. I also tinkered with my 3080Ti overclock and have decided the points don't change by much while I run the card at my minimal undervolt settings of 1635 GPU / 10500 Mem and 750mv, which lets it cruise along at around 180W. If I turn it loose on stock settings, it'll eventually settle at 1840 / 9750 at 1050mv and chew through about 370W... Oof.

My office is now about 10*F warmer than every other room in the house :D Also updated my signature after, oh I dunno, a decade and a half...

Ok, it's obviously been too long since I've folded; I don't really understand the Extreme Overclockers points scoring computations. Not that it really matters, as I've uprooted @DmitryKo and have stolen his 2nd place spot in the group (come at me bro!! :giggle: ) so obviously something is working.

Regardless, it says my 24 hour points average is something like 2M right now, even though in four days I've cranked out (by EOC's own math) 18M points. Eighteen million points divided by four days is an average of 4.5M per day (granted, I missed about half a day due to a problem I caused, and another 12+ hours of Starfield time sprinkled through) however that's still pretty far from the 24 hour average of 2M it reports. Oh well, onward and upward!

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't check our status for a while, and now we're at #382 with 5.3 billion points! At the current rate, we're just 2 months away from making an additional 1.7 billion points and entering Top 300:

Rank
Project
Team
Name
Gain
Daily
Date
Overtake
300​
Splunk Folding@Home Research Labs
515,770​
6,941,710,925​
-1,627,845,322​
27,342,699​
02.28.24, 11pm / 2 Months​
382​
Beyond3D_Team
27,858,469​
5,313,865,603​
0​
0​
--​

Unfortunately, GamersNexus, Reddit and Ars Technica considerably increased their daily output since last August, so we are no longer overtaking them (albeit slowly), as we used to:

Rank
Project​
Team
Name​
Gain
Daily​
Date
Overtake​
30​
GamersNexus
108,830,418​
126,745,756,567​
-121,431,890,964​
-80,971,495​
--​
54​
Ars Technica Team Egg Roll
48,153,045​
64,681,878,703​
-59,368,013,100​
-20,294,576​
--​
57​
Reddit
70,871,654​
63,544,409,982​
-58,230,544,379​
-43,013,185​
--​
75​
Redline @ OC3D.net
20,910,420​
39,419,061,935​
-34,105,196,332​
6,948,049​
13.4 Years​
88​
guru3d
1,546,359​
31,821,223,607​
-26,507,358,004​
26,312,110​
2.8 Years​
129​
Bjorn3D.Com
160,827​
21,774,283,587​
-16,460,417,984​
27,697,642​
1.6 Years​
209​
Wccftech
2,321,673​
11,771,382,748​
-6,457,517,145​
25,536,796​
8.4 Months​

So please join Beyond3D_Team and help us increase our daily output to 50 million points - and also heat up your bedroom by at least 10 degrees, which should make you comfortable during these cold winter nights! 🔥

Last edited:
It took me a bit, but I finally overtook @DmitryKo as of today, in terms of absolute points. I'm only generating about 5M PPD on normal days, but the last week the computer has been at home cranking away while I'm visiting family, to the tune of nearly 9M PPD!

Some day soon I'm gonna pick up a 4090 and see if I can start to inch up on @Father_Murphy :)

Not so fast @Albuquerque! I've just got a faster GPU, so I should be making at least twice more points per day! 🏍️

And if that proves not enough to keep me at my hard earned #2, I will install the old GPU in my other desktop, for a total of 3x increase in PPD! 🚀 Mua-ha-ha-ha. 👹

Don't push me @Albuquerque, or I'm going to setup a separate Linux machine just to run the Folding@Home client, and it's going to be MURDER đź‘ą

@Freak'n Big Panda, thanks for joining our effort! You didn't setup your passkey though, so you probably receive 4 times less points from your GPU tasks.

You can check your bonus status at https://apps.foldingathome.org/bonus?user=Freakn_Big_Panda - this page won't show any completed WUs until you have submitted results with a valid passkey - or https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu?q=Freakn_Big_Panda where the "Got bonus" column should be flagged "1".

BTW I tried to send you a private message but you seem to have disabled these in your privacy settings...

Last edited:
I'd probably fold a lot more if I could easily set the folding client to limit GPU usage/power. Yes, I know I can use MSI Afterburner or similar, but that also requires remembering to do it, and remembering to set it back.

Not sure about GeForce Experience or MSI Afterburner, but AMD Software Adrenalin can fine tune Performance settings per each game/application using tuning Profiles. For RDNA cards these include a full set of performance controls such as GPU/VRAM clocks, GPU voltage and power limits, and fan speeds/curves. You can manually add an executable file to the list of auto-detected games.

FYI you will need to explicitly setup each of the different FAH core versions that can be spawned by the Folding@home client; the executable files are typically cached in %ProgramData%\FAHClient\cores\cores.foldingathome.org.

Last edited:
I wish MSI Afterburner had such an option, alas it does not. @Malo owns a 3090 per the recent PSU Advice thread, so I assume he needs a relevant Nvidia compatible application profile switching method.

Honestly I use the same undervolt + overclock profile for nearly everything these days. It performs substantially better than stock with measurably lower power consumption. I do have a profile for stupid clocks at the full 450W capability of my EVGA 3080ti, but there's nothing I really need those clocks for.

Yes, this AMD Adrenalin solution is only available for AMD RDNA cards.

BTW Adrenalin control panel is surprisingly decent in regard to performance tuning - my current graphics card is Radeon RX 7800 XT, before that I had RX 7600 and RX 5700 XT, and tuning controls are essentially the same throughout the entire RDNA 1/2/3 range; even MSI Afterburner shows the exact same controls as in AMD Adrenalin Software.

I've never seen GeForce Experience since it requires you to sign in/register, which I never bothered to complete, but AFAIK it doesn't even have manual performance tuning. And previous versions like Radeon Catalyst and NVidia Control Panel didn't implement advanced features like real-time monitoring, so everybody was using Unwinder's RivaTuner - which was replaced by MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak when MSI and ASUS licensed RivaTuner tweaking libraries...

Last edited:
Back