Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Reviews

So it's 50 total connectors that have melted worldwide, and the recommended fix is to make sure the connector is actually plugged in all of the way and plugged in evenly. Recommended to plug the adapter into the card to make sure it's inserted correctly before you plug the gpu into the motherboard.

There are also rumors on PCI-SIG working on modified plugs which won't allow the cards to power on unless fully seated:
What a concept. I wish more things were setup that way. Of course with indicator of it being at fault.

What a concept. I wish more things were setup that way. Of course with indicator of it being at fault.

I'd guess that in their tolerance testing they just didn't catch that the sense pins were too long. I'd guess the change will be in micrometers. Like half a millimeter or something.

It's still impressively bad that the card can even boot and run that way. You'd expect this would've been caught very early on.

From that video is also an estimation based on responses from 4 different vendors that about 125,000 4090's have been sold so far.
Sounded like they were repeating the same numbers, so they got a briefing/memo from Nvidia about it.
Numbers are most likely directly from Nvidia.

PCI standards group deflects, assigns blame for melting GPU power connectors​

"Members are responsible for safety testing of their products."​

"Members are reminded that PCI-SIG specifications provide necessary technical information for interoperability and do not attempt to address proper design, manufacturing methods, materials, safety testing, safety tolerances, or workmanship," the statement reads. "When implementing a PCI-SIG specification, Members are responsible for the design, manufacturing, and testing, including safety testing, of their products."

That sounds like as large a slapping as the PCI-SIG can shell out to one of their own members.

Honestly if the failure is user error it largely has to do with the connector design. I haven’t tried one so I don’t know how difficult it is to plug in. Essentially people aren’t plugging the connector all of the way. Nvidia should have caught the fact that it could power up when not fully inserted. Lots of blame to go around

The locking mechanism has tactile feedback, it snaps into position, so to speak. I've debated this with some colleagues, some of which not used to building their own PCs, and in this small sample group, we were split evenly between failsafe and not failsafe. FWIW.

IMHLO the large required clearance before you're allowed to bend the cable is more problematic. Especially since the cards are so large and (almost?) all of the connectors stand off in a 90-degree angle making the required case width even larger. Many if not most cases are arguably to thin to accomodate the large card +35 mm of headroom for the connector.

Last edited:
The locking mechanism has tactile feedback, it snaps into position, so to speak. I've debated this with some colleagues, some of which not used to building their own PCs, and in this smal sample group, we were split evenly between failsafe and not failsafe. FWIW.

IMHLO the large required clearance befor you're allowed to bend the cable is more problematic. Especially since the cards are so large and (almost?) all of the connectors stand off in a 90-degree angle making the required case width even larger. Many if not most cases are arguably to thin to accomodate the large card +35 mm of headroom for the connector.

Yah, I'm not sure when they wouldn't ship with right-angle connectors since the majority of people are mounting normally and not using risers or anything like that.

So 30% performance was promised, 11% is actually being delivered. SER seems like a marketing gimmick now.

Back