Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird question, but don’t IHV also provide that type of feedback? Or is it only for dx11 ?

I'd imagine that would depend on how much an IHV was involved with the project and whether the developer asks for help with it.

I don't think either AMD or NV sponsored Elden Ring.

Regards,
SB

I'd imagine that would depend on how much an IHV was involved with the project and whether the developer asks for help with it.

I don't think either AMD or NV sponsored Elden Ring.

Regards,
SB
But aren't there typically 'optimized drivers'?

But aren't there typically 'optimized drivers'?

For what they consider "benchmarkable" games. I don't think any site is going to be doing benchmarks in GPU comparisons of newly launched GPUs using Elden Ring so a company like NV has no real incentive to make optimized drivers for it.

That's basically been my experience over the years. There's almost never optimized drivers for the games I usually play because they aren't used to benchmarks games on GPU review sites.

So, I wouldn't hold my breath for optimized drivers for Elden Ring (Dark Souls 3 also didn't get optimized drivers, IIRC). Would be happy to be surprised though.

Regards,
SB

For what they consider "benchmarkable" games. I don't think any site is going to be doing benchmarks in GPU comparisons of newly launched GPUs using Elden Ring so a company like NV has no real incentive to make optimized drivers for it.

That's basically been my experience over the years. There's almost never optimized drivers for the games I usually play because they aren't used to benchmarks games on GPU review sites.

So, I wouldn't hold my breath for optimized drivers for Elden Ring (Dark Souls 3 also didn't get optimized drivers, IIRC). Would be happy to be surprised though.

Regards,
SB

Aren't most "benchmarkable" games just a bunch of popular marquee PC titles? It would make sense that they are heavily optimized for reasons outside of just being commonly used in benchmarks. Poor performance in popular titles have a greater potential to generate more noise and consumer dissatisfaction.

Elden Ring was supported through Nvidia's Game Ready Drivers with Nvidia noting its was Steam's most wish listed game. Intel claimed its supplied Elden Ring with a day-0 driver. Adrenalin 22.2.3 was released on the same day as Elden Ring with noted support.

I doubt any of three will stop that level of driver support because its not a benchmark title when it has sold like gangbusters.

Last edited:
Yes GPU prices continue to come down nicely here in the UK. The 3070Ti is approaching £700 now and the 3060Ti approaching £500.

Still a bit too expensive for my blood, especially with the 4xxx series looming. But it's getting tempting to plug the gap for the next 6 months....
cheaper I've seen is a RTX 3050 at 368€ and a RTX 2060 6GB for a similar price. I got used to the abysmal quality of my GTX 1060 3GB and now I am not in a hurry to get a new GPU.

In the next 6 months you can wait for what Intel has to offer. I'll probably go with nVidia once again, but you never know. Also I can wait another year after all I've gone through -720p, 165fps in many games though-. Ideally I might buy a super thin gaming laptop. My desktop PC has very good hardware, it only needs a new GPU but I am not in a hurry.

In the meantime, you have this video from a couple of days ago featuring how to fine tune your nVidia GPU with secret settings. I followed those tips, thet kinda work:

GPU prices are coming down quite rapidly here in Sweden aswell now. Never thought this would happen lol. I might swap out the 2080Ti for a 3080Ti, aternatively a 3090. On the other hand it might be much better to wait for a 4080, prices should be MSRP by then and offer alot more performance at the same time.

RT shadows, 2 modes, some animation frame rate changes, per object motion blur, and a change to AA and much faster loading are the major highlights.
I would have figured LOD and AF would have been easy wins, but I assume without redoing the whole pipeline perhaps there's no headroom for that.

I was going to be unfair and claim this is a rip off, but it's not fair to ask them to rewrite a pipeline to get the most out of the new consoles.

I think most people will be pleased with the faster loading, but 20 seconds is still too long.

Last edited:
RT shadows, 2 modes, some animation frame rate changes, per object motion blur, and a change to AA and much faster loading are the major highlights.
I would have figured LOD and AF would have been easy wins, but I assume without redoing the whole pipeline perhaps there's no headroom for that.

I was going to be unfair and claim this is a rip off, but it's not fair to ask them to rewrite a pipeline to get the most out of the new consoles.

I think most people will be pleased with the faster loading, but 20 seconds is still too long.

If this was a small company/game (like Metro) I would see your point but if patches or free DLC were a set percentage of your revenue, Take Two would have enough to give away 2 or 3 full AAA games for free. GTA Online is a gift that keeps on giving. So while Fortnite through selling skins is able to reinvent their map every season, make wholesale changes to their game mechanics, upgrade the game's engine to Unreal 5 and allow you to freely migrate to your platform of choice. No matter how many sharks cards you have bought you are still required to pay for simply moving to new hardware or enjoy a rather tame uplift in graphics.

Its odd that a game that generates as much revenue as GTA, does very little to foster goodwill with its userbase.

If this was a small company/game (like Metro) I would see your point but if patches or free DLC were a set percentage of your revenue, Take Two would have enough to give away 2 or 3 full AAA games for free. GTA Online is a gift that keeps on giving. So while Fortnite through selling skins is able to reinvent their map every season, make wholesale changes to their game mechanics, upgrade the game's engine to Unreal 5 and allow you to freely migrate to your platform of choice. No matter how many sharks cards you have bought you are still required to pay for simply moving to new hardware or enjoy a rather tame uplift in graphics.

Its odd that a game that generates as much revenue as GTA, does very little to foster goodwill with its userbase.
that was good and articulate. You said what I could not put my finger on; This should have been free.

GPU prices are coming down quite rapidly here in Sweden aswell now. Never thought this would happen lol. I might swap out the 2080Ti for a 3080Ti, aternatively a 3090. On the other hand it might be much better to wait for a 4080, prices should be MSRP by then and offer alot more performance at the same time.
hmmmm, you have superb graphics card, no need to jump to RTX 3000 series imho.

Today I fixed my GTX 1080. It wasnt faulty, it's just that the 3 fans started spinning at 100% ALL the time while using the OS for simple tasks, games, or whatever, the noise was crazy.

I fixed it using a similar solution to this one ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 Noctua OC Edition | Graphics Card | ASUS Global (this GPU is huuuuge, it uses external Noctua fans along with the retail fans, and it becomes a brick).

In my case, I just removed the original fans of the GTX 1080 and used ties to attach them to the GPU. It works.

Tbh, I am glad I also have the GTX 1060 3GB, I learnt a lot while being limited :cool: and now I can apply that knowledge to the GTX 1080 . When you are not limited you get everything for granted and when you dont have the means, the mind works differently.

I agree with everything you wrote. I believe what we are seeing here, is Take Two having numbers to suggest that the biggest-spending members of the GTA:O community will also pay for the upgrade. Greedy company being greedy explains why this took this approach. :yep2:

However, when it comes to mods...,
Probably why R* didn't bother. The mod community has already done their work for them, for free. More and more, it seems the best approach to PC is to push out some half-arsed solution and let the PC community fix and improve your game for you. The bonus opportunity of modding seems to have evolved into a necessary crux.

Probably why R* didn't bother. The mod community has already done their work for them, for free. More and more, it seems the best approach to PC is to push out some half-arsed solution and let the PC community fix and improve your game for you. The bonus opportunity of modding seems to have evolved into a necessary crux.

Atleast it will be handled, how are half arsed console solutions taken care off?
Best of all, its free, and usually community driven means its what the community wants.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why they compare it to the best version available on PC. "Maxed-out PC". How many people are owning those kind of PCs? What's the point except trying to make the PS5 version looks bad?

I guess the point is to mostly show what Rockstar has provided in next-generation upgrade. A maxed-out PC would be the proper hardware on providing a meaningful and comparative analysis on establishing higher-end features (i.e., ultra quality settings) that were already available years ago on PC. As such, a maxed-out PC running ultra quality settings makes it easier for DF to present an analysis outlining which areas of the next-generation GTA V edition have either improved, superseded, or failed, in comparison to yesteryears PC ultra quality settings.

That being said, the next-generation console editions look great (even sometimes better) in comparison to their PCs counterpart's ultra quality settings. Plus, the future of the GTA series looks great, especially knowing that RT will be involved. With Rockstar's ungodly abilities towards crafting gorgeous and lifelike open-worlds (more gorgeous and more lifelike than the last), I have no doubt GTA VI on PS5/XBSX will be a visual masterpiece.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back