Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Now that's it is confirmed exclusive, are any Playstation owners considering buying an Xbox or at least getting Game Pass to play it?

Tommy McClain

No.

As It was said before, PC. And it's is my plate form of choice for rpg games.

And right now I don't trust Bethesda anyway. Fallout 76 was really a disaster....

Now that's it is confirmed exclusive, are any Playstation owners considering buying an Xbox or at least getting Game Pass to play it?

Tommy McClain

The game is still a long way from releasing, but if by November 2022 I'm still unable to purchase decent PC hardware at decent prices then definitely yes.

To be honest, despite being a PC gamer first and foremost my whole life, I've never been as close to forever giving up on PC gaming as I am right now.
I'll be doing renovations in my house next year, and I had planned to pass a USB-C + optical HDMI 2.1 cable between the office and the living room TV to play PC games in it. At the moment I might cancel those plans.

Sounds like Privateer. Wonder if you can just explore the galaxy & go find uninhabited earth-like planets? Does No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous work like that?

Both let you explore their galaxies. NMS doesn't really feature Earth-like world's. Each planet is essentially single environment / theme. It's not very realistic, more like 70s sci-fi book covers, but that's doesn't mean they're not interesting.

Elite does have a procedurally generated version of our galaxy. It's derived a model of how the galaxy/star systems form. You can't land on Earth-like world though, only those with zero or tenuous atmospheres. It might happen one day but it's at least decade away I think.

Guess we have a bunch PC players here that don't play on console but love to talk console instead. o_O

Tommy McClain

Why, because some of us don't see the interest in a xbox ? To each their own... I have a gaming pc since the 3dfx days. And consoles since the nes. Right now I play on PC and PS5. It's all about the games. My taste lead me to more games available on the Sony side. It's the same thing for people having a xbox and not a ps. And it's fine.

It's MS strategy too to release everything on PC at the same time, blame them if you don't like to see PC talks when talking about xbox games ? Xbox is more a brand than a console now imo.

It's all about having fun and escaping the burdens of "real life" imo, xbox hardware, PS, switch, pc, retro stuffs, doesn't really matter :)

Sorry for the OT.

Why, because some of us don't see the interest in a xbox ?

My original question was for Playstation owners who buy Playstation games, if you're already buying games on PC it wasn't for you.

The reason being that some Playstation owners were upset that Bethesda would take their games exclusive & leave them with nothing. Now that we know that's it's truly exclusive & what their direction is aiming for, I thought it would be an interesting to see if that exclusivity had any chance of bringing in any new users to the console side. Guess the needs to be asked elsewhere since it looks like majority of users here only really care about PC games.

Tommy McClain

Starfield is a Xbox 'console exclusive', most console gamers usually arent intrested in pc gaming (and probably never have been even if they say so). I highly doubt the majority of PS console users are going to invest in a pc to play this one (or any MS exclusive).
For MS it doesnt matter if PS users switch to PC or Xbox since 'xbox' (MS) is both platforms.

Anyway, Starfield seems to be a heavy hitter, a game that isnt coming in early but later in the generation, i think its going to push graphics alot more than alot of current games do now.

Edit: Sony seems to slowly follow the same route with putting things on pc. I'd say its a great middle-land where you can receive from both sides, aswell as alot of indie stuff (which is really great these days).

My original question was for Playstation owners who buy Playstation games, if you're already buying games on PC it wasn't for you.
I am a PlayStation owner, buying PlayStation games and also a gaming PC owner, buying PC games.
One doesn't contradict the other!
:p
I'll shut up now :D

In earnest though, I would never play a Bethesda title on a console, simply because of the mods and the freedom to make the game your own.
The difference in that regard is extraordinary, even taking into account the limited support consoles have for mods.
Skyrim can honestly look "almost modern" and that, for a ten year old game, is an achievement on it's own.

It was always destined to be a PC, so that has no bearing on its console exclusivity & not the question I asked.

Your answer is either to not answer or say "no". Simple. ;-)

Tommy McClain

To be honest, despite being a PC gamer first and foremost my whole life, I've never been as close to forever giving up on PC gaming as I am right now.
I'll be doing renovations in my house next year, and I had planned to pass a USB-C + optical HDMI 2.1 cable between the office and the living room TV to play PC games in it. At the moment I might cancel those plans.

As someone who has been through this multiple times, do it anyway. The cost is likely a drop in the bucket compared to any renovation you are doing and you would always have the option. If you can, use some cable conduit so you can add additional/ different cables in the future. Put in a tube or 2 and don't run you wires through them until you need to later. No reason to spend the space unless you are worried about interference and need shielding. I have gone through this 8 or 9 times counting rebuilds and building them for family and friends. Only once did I ever regret putting in extra cabling and that was a special circumstance.

Starfield is a Xbox 'console exclusive', most console gamers usually arent intrested in pc gaming (and probably never have been even if they say so). I highly doubt the majority of PS console users are going to invest in a pc to play this one (or any MS exclusive).
For MS it doesnt matter if PS users switch to PC or Xbox since 'xbox' (MS) is both platforms.

Anyway, Starfield seems to be a heavy hitter, a game that isnt coming in early but later in the generation, i think its going to push graphics alot more than alot of current games do now.

Edit: Sony seems to slowly follow the same route with putting things on pc. I'd say its a great middle-land where you can receive from both sides, aswell as alot of indie stuff (which is really great these days).

Guess I am odd then. RTS, TBS, any form of management game - I much prefer on the PC. My shooters and 3rd person action games I go to the console. As a generation wears on, I tend to see if there is a nice price drop on a GPU that is substantially more powerful than my console and then I tend to move some of the shooters/ 3rd person games in the PC direction. (Flight sim, racing and the like are a bit different. I don't have any modern comparisons to include them in either category at this point.)

The only gamers I know in real life, they all game on a variety of devices. Anecdotal to be sure, but there it is.

Assuming I didn't have a Series X and a PC, no. They've not shown any gameplay. I struggle to understanding people blindly pre-ordering games let alone buying a piece of hardware for a game that is 18 months off and they've not seen.

That's utter nuts. :runaway:

I'm really liking the snippets of info they're dropping though! :yes:

So the gist of what I'm seeing here is that people here are not upset or care that Bethesda games are going to be exclusive & they have *NO plans to change their platform of choice. So all the belly aching the past year or so has just been posturing for defending their platform.

Tommy McClain

EDIT: missing word

Last edited:
So the gist of what I'm seeing here is that people here are not upset or care that Bethesda games are going to be exclusive & they have plans to change their platform of choice. So all the belly aching the past year or so has just been posturing for defending their platform.

Tommy McClain

Personally, I do care. I'd rather be able to play Starfield on my PS5. It's also not enough to make me buy e.g. an XBox Series console.

A streaming stick solution (I don't have a PC) is what I'm likely to go with when I decide I really want to play this. Paying for GamePass for a couple of months is likely to be a reasonable enough way to play Starfield if it's cut from the same cloth as The Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

So the gist of what I'm seeing here is that people here are not upset or care that Bethesda games are going to be exclusive & they have plans to change their platform of choice. So all the belly aching the past year or so has just been posturing for defending their platform.

I think the principle reason there are fairly muted responses is nobody has seen Starfield - we've only seen a CGI trailers. Maybe once the game has been shown you will get different answers but this is like asking asking kids if they have considered life insurance.

I think Cyberpunk shook a the blind hopeful hype out of a lot of people.

Personally, I do care. I'd rather be able to play Starfield on my PS5. It's also not enough to make me buy e.g. an XBox Series console.

A streaming stick solution (I don't have a PC) is what I'm likely to go with when I decide I really want to play this. Paying for GamePass for a couple of months is likely to be a reasonable enough way to play Starfield if it's cut from the same cloth as The Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

One incredible soul decided to say "yes". :)

A streaming stick would be a great way to dip your toes into Xbox with minimal investment. What about your phone or tablet?

You did say you wouldn't buy a Series console. Is it the upfront cost that's the issue? Would you consider Xbox All Access to get a Series S & Game Pass Ultimate for $25/mo?

The muted response doesn't really jive with not seeing it & not knowing what it is. The belly aching was directly tied to the emotional attachment people have with Bethesda & their games. People that love Bethesda games know what they're getting. I still think that Microsoft made the right decision to make it exclusive. Todd Howard explained it best when talking to The Telegraph...

Todd Howard said:
Pick a side' meaning… PlayStation? Is that what you mean? Well.. a little bit. You don’t ever want to leave people out, right? But at the end of the day, your ability to focus and say, this is the game I want to make, these are the platforms I want to make it on, and being able to really lean in on those is going to make for a better product.

By focusing on those platforms, you really get to lean in a lot on making it the best it can be for those systems. [...] And we’re big believers in all of the avenues that Xbox and Microsoft are doing to get games to more people. Whether that’s the integration with the PC, which is huge for us, the cloud streaming and all those things. So I think it’s about taking a long term view. And our belief that those things are really fundamentally good. So we see it actually opening up more and more and more so that people’s ability to play our games - via GamePass and other things - their ability to play our games doesn’t go down. It goes up dramatically.

And I can say I’m proud to be part of Xbox. I think it’s great for the community of gamers.

Linking Wccftech.com as The Telegraph article is behind a paywall...
https://wccftech.com/bethesda-todd-...ing-able-to-focus-will-make-for-better-games/

It will make it a better product & it will eventually give PS only users a reason to invest some way into Xbox in order to play it, whether it's Game Pass only, All Access or buying a console upfront.

Tommy McClain

The muted response doesn't really jive with not seeing it & not knowing what it is.

Did you really expect a lot of people to answer yes, I am considering buying an Xbox to play this game that comes in 18 months that has not been seen and for which only the most high-level mechanics are have been described and the game not seen?

The belly aching was directly tied to the emotional attachment people have with Bethesda & their games. People that love Bethesda games know what they're getting. I still think that Microsoft made the right decision to make it exclusive. Todd Howard explained it best when talking to The Telegraph...

And people don't know what they've getting here, this is new IP. Is this going to be a franchise where Bethesda toss out many of their established Bethesda RPG mechanics and try something genuinely new? This is a much lower-risk compared to flipping Elder Scrolls or Skyrim on it's head gameplay-wise.

Will Starfield with the change they're hinting at still appeal to people who like Elder Scrolls and Fallout games? If not, will it appeal to people who have not liked the Bethesda's direction with recent Elder Scrolls and Fallout? It's also a new genre, not fantasy or retro-modern but pure sci-fi. The more Bethesda talk (check out today's video interview with IGN) the more it sounds like Starfield could be a significant departure mechanics-wise. And I assume it will because if you give people a ship and hundreds of planets the expectation is you'll be travelling around a lot more than retreading locations as you often do in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Or maybe it'll be more familiar than the differences suggest, like how Skyrim would going to be super immersive with Radiant AI dynamic quest system being able to react to the player's actions, but which really wasn't massively different from Oblivion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think if the next Bethesda game coming out was Elder Scrolls VI and that was only coming to Xbox, a lot more people would have answered yes because that is a known quantity and just look how crazy Skyrim has sold.

I think its important to consider the pricing structure of what Microsoft is doing.

Traditionally you have

Last gen consoles - low price point but limited support once the new gen is established and then zero support (in terms of new games) $200-$300
The current gen consoles - medium price point $400- $500
PC high to ultra high price point $1k +

Now if your looking at a first party game good luck on seeing it on anything but their platforms and sometimes support for the old one gets dropped fast.

Microsoft has greatly expanded this .

Xcloud $15 a month on game pass ultimate can be run on a bunch of your existing devices like phone , computer , tablet and soon tvs.

Xcloud stick $50-$100 a dedicated piece of hardware for streaming for tvs or devices with hdmi included. Requires the xcloud ultimate sub

Last gen console $300 - games coming out in 2021 are still mostly hitting this console

New dedicated console family split into

1080p-1440p resolution users who want dedicated hardware with a last gen price point $300

1440p-4k resolution users who want one of the most powerful console hardware out there. $500

Then PC

The thing is you can mix and match what you want .

Have a phone but don't want to invest in a cosnole or pc well go ahead and stream the game you want. Have a phone , laptop and an xbox series x. Play the games anywhere and so on so forth.

Entry into the xbox ecco system is getting cheaper every day. I have even heard some die hard steam friends of mine considering game pass ultimate at the end of the year intead of buying halo out right

Dsoup you're over thinking it. The lack of response is because most people here rather play on their PC than change their platform of choice. Which is at odds with all the people that belly ached about losing something from their platform of choice. They complained knowing full well that it wouldn't change their plans to play it on PC or not at all. This whole forum is full of people set in their ways. Myself being one them mind you. ;)

BTW, it may be new IP, but it's still a RPG from Bethesda. This isn't like Playground Games doing Fable, where Playground has done nothing but racing games.

Tommy McClain

Back