Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

I got the compiled demo at max settings running on my RTX 2060 laptop at a rock solid 30 FPS at 1440p (actually 67% of that via TSA) in every scenario. I've added CAS Sharpening and it looks gorgeous:

ancientgame2021-06-06ajkeo.png

ancientgame2021-06-06r8kx5.png

ancientgame2021-06-06n0jur.png

ancientgame2021-06-06fpjnm.png

ancientgame2021-06-066jjoz.png

It's really blowing my mind how much picture quality I can extract from this little thing. TSA does wonders too. Motion Blur ruined two of these shots but it still looks great!

I got the compiled demo at max settings running on my RTX 2060 laptop at a rock solid 30 FPS at 1440p (actually 67% of that via TSA) in every scenario. I've added CAS Sharpening and it looks gorgeous:

ancientgame2021-06-06ajkeo.png

ancientgame2021-06-06r8kx5.png

ancientgame2021-06-06n0jur.png

ancientgame2021-06-06fpjnm.png

ancientgame2021-06-066jjoz.png

It's really blowing my mind how much picture quality I can extract from this little thing. TSA does wonders too. Motion Blur ruined two of these shots but it still looks great!

Yes its amazing we can get last years demo visuals and roam about in them.

New I got the compiled demo at max settings running on my RTX 2060 laptop at a rock solid 30 FPS at 1440p (actually 67% of that via TSA) in every scenario. I've added CAS Sharpening and it looks gorgeous:
What's TSA? You mean the demo was running 960p on your 2060 laptop?

You mean covering for his employee rather than pushing them to get fired for messing up a marketing deal? Doing spin/damage control is regular ceo work.

Indeed, and it worked. A lot of people bought this spin. Reading back over some of the older comments on this topic within this thread is quite amusing with hindsight.

This again..

Where is last year's demo called "Lumen in the land of Nanite" running on a laptop with a 2080 max-q?
Perhaps you're mistaking two very different demos.

the cost scales with resolution dude thats the whole thing they've been showing off. the content (as long as it's made out of solid, coherent pieces and doesn't have excessive overdraw) doesn't matter. That's the entire reason everyone is excited about it! $50 says that demo would run better on most machines -- the overdraw visualization looks like shit in the new demo.

"I think there's been a little bit of confusion in the community that it... only runs on ps5... that's not true, it runs great"

Last edited:
the cost scales with resolution dude thats the whole thing they've been showing off. the content (as long as it's made out of solid, coherent pieces and doesn't have excessive overdraw) doesn't matter. That's the entire reason everyone is excited about it! $50 says that demo would run better on most machines -- the overdraw visualization looks like shit in the new demo.

"I think there's been a little bit of confusion in the community that it... only runs on ps5... that's not true, it runs great"

Depends on what you're doing though, right? Assuming you're travelling around a lot from area to area, then you'd need either a lot of substitute RAM, or have a fast SSD.

Travel speed may need to be determined by how fast the SSD is, or you get a degradation in the mesh/texture.

Travel speed may need to be determined by how fast the SSD is, or you get a degradation in the mesh/texture.

Maybe, sure, just like virtual textures. But a key part of nanite (that also makes it fast to render) is that it's a tree based data structure where you can only pull what you need. We've had virtual textures since the 360/ps3 days, which is a very similar problem.

The first time you see a new object you fetch the lower res clusters, which are fine, because it's far away anyway.

In a frame or two you've streamed in the children in time for it to be larger on the screen.

I don't think a scene like the one in the reveal would have to worry about whether or not you have an ssd as fast as the ps5s. Here's another timestamp talking about streaming:

I mean, the ps5 ssd is a lot faster than the competitors, maybe you could stream a scene this complex with traditional rendering tech on it, which would be impossible on our regular ssds. But the idea of 'virtual geometry' is all about making it easy to stream.

Maybe we'll also see it on loads, or in games where you teleport to new areas, or cuts in cutscenes, or something? Maybe on xbox and pc scenes will pop in with low res for a frame or too, then snap up to the same res, whereas on ps5 it'll be fine from the first frame? Just speculating cause we see artifacts like that in virtual texturing schemes on slower hard drives, but during regular gameplay it's identical.

Last edited:
Of course it doesn't run on the PS5 only. Epic said from day one that UE5 was planned for all platforms, even mobile.
I don’t remember reading a single comment/post suggesting UE5 is only possible on PS5. Perhaps on era or gaf someone said that, but it wouldn't make any sense obviously.

Tim Sweeney's comment referred to the belief that a laptop with a 2080 Max-Q (which BTW performs on par with a desktop GTX1080 due to massive throttling) was running the 2020 PS5 demo at the same resolution, settings and framerate.
There's actually one user in this forum that has repeated that exact statement dozens of times, and it's obviously wrong.

Tim Sweeney's comment referred to the belief that a laptop with a 2080 Max-Q (which BTW performs on par with a desktop GTX1080 due to massive throttling) was running the 2020 PS5 demo at the same resolution, settings and framerate.

Yeah I mean I agree the weaker machine could only run at a lower resolution, but I don't think an overall similar experience is out of the question. (Especially for the nanite part, lumen is the bigger issue.) Many posters here and elsewhere implied the demo couldn't work at all on anything but a ps5.

Yeah I mean I agree the weaker machine could only run at a lower resolution, but I don't think an overall similar experience is out of the question. (Especially for the nanite part, lumen is the bigger issue.) Many posters here and elsewhere implied the demo couldn't work at all on anything but a ps5.

The chinese Epic engineer implie it can work on PC for the last sequence on a much lower speed SSD without any lose of details if you make the data linear on the storage. Problem it means data duplication on an open world for example.

Of course it doesn't run on the PS5 only. Epic said from day one that UE5 was planned for all platforms, even mobile.
I don’t remember reading a single comment/post suggesting UE5 is only possible on PS5. Perhaps on era or gaf someone said that, but it wouldn't make any sense obviously.

There's actually one user in this forum that has repeated that exact statement dozens of times, and it's obviously wrong.

To be fair, posts like this, this and this were clearly suggesting that the demo couldn't run on PC's in general due to the lack of a PS5 level IO. It was an Epic engineer that made the claim about it running on the laptop and at the time he was essentially accused of making it up or at the very best, being mistranslated. Now that we've had absolute confirmation that the demo can and does run on regular PC's without Direct Storage it's probably time to just admit that the original Epic China livestream was right all along.

The chinese Epic engineer implie it can work on PC for the last sequence on a much lower speed SSD without any lose of details if you make the data linear on the storage. Problem it means data duplication on an open world for example.

Or just run the whole demo from memory. You can't run a whole game from memory of course (at least not an average sized AAA), but you can run very significant chunks of it at any given time which should reduce the in game streaming requirements.

It could be a laptop with e.g. 64GB RAM, but even then having a 6.4TFLOPs Turing GPU showing that same demo @ ISO settings would mean the PS5 demo wasn't properly optimized for the hardware. Which doesn't make sense if you're trying to show off what the engine can do on Epic's side, and what the PS5 can do on Sony's side.

Back