Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

...what an amateurish attempt of asserting AMD would have powerful compute only in future generations :p

I absolutely think that AMD with their 22+TF's of raw compute power and the infinity cache, full rdna2 featureset has quite capable GPUs already now. Things will only get better from now, improved RT and reconstruction.

I absolutely think that AMD with their 22+TF's of raw compute power and the infinity cache, full rdna2 featureset has quite capable GPUs already now. Things will only get better from now, improved RT and reconstruction.
Yeah, but in my experience it's more than capable since GCN (don't know earlier architectures).
Notice TF became an even worse method to relate NV and AMD, because NV has doubled FP units but not SMs. And even if it would be fine, RDNA averaged 16/32fp TF is similar to Ampere TF (According to techpowerup site, Ampere has no double 16fp rate, which confuses me a bit.)

Just saying. I have never seen an Ampere or RDNA GPU, and i don't believe they actually exist for real. Like bitcoin money, or man on Mars. But speculations about virtual tech is still fun.

No way dude. Sure players don't say: "wow, that's a lot of geometry!" unless it's fed to them by marketing
I didn't need marketing to tell me Demon's Souls brought geometry detail I hadn't seen before.

Unlike most of the raytraced vs. screen space reflection comparisons for example.

My argument is that we prioritize the areas I mentioned first, crank up geometry to 11 on characters, cars, heroes, and main objects as much as you want, these are things that occupy the screen 100% of the time and are always noticeable.

But please don't go increasing the environmental geometry details while leaving main objects the same, or while degrading the quality of the lighting with baked static GI.
Your 'argument' seems to rest on the idea that geometry is already ahead of the game and totally fine and it's everything else that needs work.

But again, my point is that it's impossible to see UE5's demos and not realize how much of a false perception this is. My standards have already changed. It may take longer for you, but you will eventually look back on this and realize you've been silly doubting the importance of geometry. I promise this will happen in due time. Via Nanite or mesh shaders or whatever, geometry will indeed be a focus of this upcoming generation. And again, I'd also agree that we need many other techniques to improve along with it, so we get a good balance.

Yeah, but it's not really an API issue there, because there is just one GPU architecture. Also there is no such motivation to support PC and future console gen as well, like there is on XBox.
So i guess they can do anything, from figuring out AMDs BVH specs and generating themselves, up to replacing AMDs traversal code.
That's why i always expected Sony exclusives showing most interesting use of RT..
On both PS and Xbox devs can write or use their own traversal as well as use a different Bvh Form. The effectiveness of doing this though of course depends entirely on the content and what type of RT the dev is going for anyway. Default traversers (and there are more than 1 default ones) could in some case be perfectly fine (as is the case for at least 2 titles I have talked to devs about).

Using a million Turok models as the benchmark?
lol na just the provided demo - for that at least we know the fps and resolution targets of this demo on next gen consoles
Lumen's secondary focus is on clean indoor lighting at 30 fps on next-generation consoles. The engine's Epic scalability level produces around 8 milliseconds (ms) on next-generation consoles for global illumination and reflections at 1080p internal resolution, relying on Temporal Super Resolution to output at quality approaching native 4k.

Lumen defaults for the Epic scalability level are set for a 30 fps budget (8ms Global Illumination and Reflections) at 1080p on next-generation consoles. Lumen relies heavily on Unreal Engine 4's Temporal Upsampling with the new UE5 Temporal Super Resolution algorithm for 4k output. Under the High engine scalability level, Lumen uses defaults targeting 60 fps. Lumen is disabled under Low and Medium scalability levels.
So I was just running through the demo on different GPUs at 1080p internal upsampled to 4K at the epic scalability setting. Though running through it, I am a bit curious whether the demo runs at a flat 30 fps on console hardware at 1080p. The demo is rather unbalanced load-wise in terms of scenes and what is happening. The particle effects for example when they happen close to the camera (which have nothing to do with Lumen or Nanite of course) are really heavy. If the particles happen further from the camera then they barely affect the framerate in comparison.

lol na just the provided demo - for that at least we know the fps and resolution targets of this demo on next gen consoles

So I was just running through the demo on different GPUs at 1080p internal upsampled to 4K at the epic scalability setting. Though running through it, I am a bit curious whether the demo runs at a flat 30 fps on console hardware at 1080p. The demo is rather unbalanced load-wise in terms of scenes and what is happening. The particle effects for example when they happen close to the camera (which have nothing to do with Lumen or Nanite of course) are really heavy. If the particles happen further from the camera then they barely affect the framerate in comparison.

Maybe using DRS the resolution goes under 1080p when the load is too heavy.

Maybe using DRS the resolution goes under 1080p when the load is too heavy.
That is what I would think -
by the way, for you all here: High scalability settings (which they recommend for 60 fps targets) vs. Epic Scalability settings (30 fps targets) - both are using TSR to bring 1080p up to 4K output.
highvepic6sjd4.png

highz7kpg.png

epic8rkg7.png

I recommend opening them up in a tab and flicking between them.

That is what I would think -
by the way, for you all here: High scalability settings (which they recommend for 60 fps targets) vs. Epic Scalability settings (30 fps targets) - both are using TSR to bring 1080p up to 4K output.
highvepic6sjd4.png

highz7kpg.png

epic8rkg7.png

I recommend opening them up in a tab and flicking between them.

The shadows are less impressive in high, no Dof too.

EDIT: I think probably no Ao

Last edited:
Back