Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS5 seems to have slightly higer resolution VS XsX in FPS mode in some spots
some shadows are better on XsX though.
Framerate seems indentical, with drops happening when maybe the game is loading the next part of the level.

What's the reason for Series S running a resolution cap of 2688x1512?
It would seem to be completely pointless.

Might be the resolution where the Series S will readily run at a steady 30 fps. Running at 2688x1512 vs. running at 144op at 33 fps (what that's, every 10 frames you get a frame at 16.6?)

Last edited:
PS5 seems to have slightly higer resolution VS XsX in FPS mode in some spots
some shadows are better on XsX though.
Framerate seems indentical, with drops happening when maybe the game is loading the next part of the level.
In some areas framerate is better on PS5. The last sequence of the video is locked on PS5 while it can occasionnaly drop on Xbox S and X, notably this drop at 54fps. I believe those drops are caused by data streaming, so maybe CPU related or better optimization on PS5 (well PS4).

rykf4gT.png

0VEamxj.png

In some areas framerate is better on PS5. The last sequence of the video is locked on PS5 while it can occasionnaly drop on Xbox S and X, notably this drop at 54fps. I believe those drops are caused by data streaming, so maybe CPU related or better optimization on PS5 (well PS4).

rykf4gT.png

0VEamxj.png

Alternatively it's dropping more on XBS-X because it's pushing a significantly higher resolution with DRS and DRS is occasionally not predicting the load correctly to keep the framerate locked at 60.

If it was rendered at 1200p like the PS5, I have no doubts it would be locked at 60 as well.

Regards,
SB

Alternatively it's dropping more on XBS-X because it's pushing a significantly higher resolution with DRS and DRS is occasionally not predicting the load correctly to keep the framerate locked at 60.

If it was rendered at 1200p like the PS5, I have no doubts it would be locked at 60 as well.

Regards,
SB

I find it quite odd they didn't lock the XBSX version to 1200p/60fps (like the PS5), since the lowest DSR resolution bound is 1080p. Which obviously means there are occasions where the XBSX version performance mode is dropping to 1080p.

I find it quite odd they didn't lock the XBSX version to 1200p/60fps (like the PS5), since the lowest DSR resolution bound is 1080p. Which obviously means there are occasions where the XBSX version performance mode is dropping to 1080p.

Why? The devs are basing the solution off a culmination of QC/QA data collected during development. Just because someone can find a few scenes where one platform has framerate drops while the other doesn't, it doesn't mean the solution isn't the best choice for that platform.

rykf4gT.png

0VEamxj.png

i wondered about that scene, in the ps5 video, he waited a bit before continuing, i wonder if the game loaded during his wait, so the framerate was not affected.

Why? The devs are basing the solution off a culmination of QC/QA data collected during development. Just because someone can find a few scenes where one platform has framerate drops while the other doesn't, it doesn't mean the solution isn't the best choice for that platform.

Let me state it another way, the XBSX DSR lower resolution bound shouldn’t be less than 1200p. If EA can lock the PS5 version natively at 1200p/60fps… then they should be able to lock the XBSX lower resolution bound to 1200p (thus, DSR scaling would be 1200p-1440p @60fps). As such, the XBSX performance mode must be hitting lower performance points in certain areas, which could be the likely reason for EA not locking the lower resolution bound to 1200p.

Nothing wrong with it, I just found it quite odd that XBSX has a lower resolution bound than PS5 on maintaining 60fps.

Typically dynamic resolution is ideal over fixed provide the range isn't too vast. If you are able to achieve the upper end of the resolution for 95% of the time and drop below 2% of the time, most statisticians will inform you that the majority of your experience is 1440p in this case. And you'd have to be very good at catching resolution drops that occur before it bounces back to 1440p.
Depending on perspective, and unfortunately without data here, we don't have a histogram of where the resolution will generally sit at. So I can't validate this comment, but I can't see a situation where having a range of 1080p to 1440p would be a worse off experience than running a locked 1200p even in the worst case scenario if the game is 95% 1080p, and in those moments of luxury it spikes to 1440p 5% of the time. Either way it's using the hardware to it's full potential.

Let me state it another way, the XBSX DSR lower resolution bound shouldn’t be less than 1200p. If EA can lock the PS5 version natively at 1200p/60fps… then they should be able to lock the XBSX lower resolution bound to 1200p (thus, DSR scaling would be 1200p-1440p @60fps). As such, the XBSX performance mode must be hitting lower performance points in certain areas, which could be the likely reason for EA not locking the lower resolution bound to 1200p.

Nothing wrong with it, I just found it quite odd that XBSX has a lower resolution bound than PS5 on maintaining 60fps.
Seems like 2 sides of the same coin. The opposing question would be why they didn't allow PS5 dynamic resolution to 1440p.
Without knowing why
a) XSX drops to 1080p or when it does for dynamic resolution ( or how often )
b) PS5 is locked to 1200p and not allowed to go up to 1440p.

I think there's not really much point in asking that question. The versions and how they are rendered may be vastly different. PS5 may have had a dynamic resolution option, but we don't know how it fared and they opted to lock res at 1200p because they felt it was a better experience.
Both of these are still running backwards compatibility as I understand it, it's still GCN instructions.

Seems like 2 sides of the same coin. The opposing question would be why they didn't allow PS5 dynamic resolution to 1440p.
Without knowing why
a) XSX drops to 1080p
b) PS5 is locked to 1200p and not allowed to go up to 1440p.

I think there's not really much point in asking that question. The versions and how they are rendered may be vastly different.
Both of these are still running backwards compatibility as I understand it, it's still GCN instructions.

The PS4 Pro code (DSR solution) was locked to 1200p at the upper bounds.
As you can see in the video, the changes are mainly in the resolution and framerate. PS5 now renders at the maximum resolution that PS4 Pro reached (1200p) at a pretty solid 60fps. There are no more noticeable changes.

The PS4 Pro code (DSR solution) was locked to 1200p at the upper bounds.
Right, so if we provide PS5 that allowance we need to provide XSX that same allowance as well.
DSR is not a perfect resolution scaler, it attempts based upon perceived load what it can handle. And if it believes it can't it will drop the resolution. This is entirely based on the boundaries that the developer sets for its operation.

the game is still designed for hardware around X1X, so the lower bounds in which the DSR was designed for on X1X may be affecting XSX in the same manner even if technically it didn't need to drop the resolution.

Right, so if we provide PS5 that allowance we need to provide XSX that same allowance as well.
DSR is not a perfect resolution scaler, it attempts based upon perceived load what it can handle. And if it believes it can't it will drop the resolution. This is entirely based on the boundaries that the developer sets for its operation.

the game is still designed for hardware around X1X, so the lower bounds in which the DSR was designed for on X1X may be affecting XSX in the same manner even if technically it didn't need to drop the resolution.

Sure. I guess how EA worded it was quite strange.
  • Dynamic resolution added in the range of 1080p to 1440p

Sure. I guess how EA worded it was quite strange.
I think the only thing that I can see is that they apparently moved frame rate up to 60 from 45, though when playing it I was under the assumption it was 60 the whole time.
The other thing is a resolution increase, which more or less falls in line with when gen9aware does, so they may have made a setting change to allow that framerate mode to run higher.

Looking at it honestly, both are still vastly underperforming compared to their respective PC counterparts here. So my general leanings is towards some issue with the way the game is suboptimal for these consoles in BC mode despite a next gen patch. More like a settings change rather. I would very much doubt there is anything here that is performance related; at least not all encompassing of the hardware.

XSX would still be bound to 12GB of memory here and PS5 to 8GB. Less so when concerning the reservation the game puts aside. I don't think the next gen patches allow them to access more memory than 4Pro and X1X respectively.

Speaking of Dynamic Resolution, wasn't there details about Gears VRS (Variable Rate Shading) Tier 2 usage allowing to not have to use DRS (Dynamic Resolution Scaling) most to all the time?

I think the only thing that I can see is that they apparently moved frame rate up to 60 from 45, though when playing it I was under the assumption it was 60 the whole time.
The other thing is a resolution increase, which more or less falls in line with when gen9aware does, so they may have made a setting change to allow that framerate mode to run higher.

Looking at it honestly, both are still vastly underperforming compared to their respective PC counterparts here. So my general leanings is towards some issue with the way the game is suboptimal for these consoles in BC mode despite a next gen patch. More like a settings change rather. I would very much doubt there is anything here that is performance related; at least not all encompassing of the hardware.

XSX would still be bound to 12GB of memory here, and PS5 to 8GB

Very much true. And yes, there is a lot of BC baggage holding both ports back.

Very much true. And yes, there is a lot of BC baggage holding both ports back.
I like to imagine that games approaching the end of last generation (like this one) were pushing the consoles so hard that to make everything work they had all sorts of weird things going to shuffle, or change, or offload and unload etc, just to make things work for 4Pro and X1X --- that while it was optimal to get it working within the hardware constraints of those devices, completely suboptimal for devices with much more memory, clockspeed, fillrate, bandwidth etc.

So much of the games were designed around jaguar as well, ie Cyberpunk really taking the crown for taking a tablet CPU to valhalla. I've no idea what kind of weird code went in there to make it work.

Speaking of Dynamic Resolution, wasn't there details about Gears VRS (Variable Rate Shading) Tier 2 usage allowing to not have to use DRS (Dynamic Resolution Scaling) most to all the time?
Right in the VRS Tier 2 article in rendering. That's a pretty advance load management system honestly. Couldn't have been simple to integrate those 2 together and still produce a nearly optimal image every given frame for a given piece of hardware.

The lack of DRS doesn't mean that there are no drops below 60 fps on the PS5. All we know is the PS5 version of the game won't trade resolution for frames. The DRS solution may have disabled because it was less work to set it at a fixed 1200p and let gamers deal with the times it does experience a framerate drop (because it doesn't drop fps too much or in too many areas). DRS may have been kept on the Xbox because it worked well enough with little to no tweaking.

Just because the review site didn't readily find areas where PS5 readily drops below 60 fps, doesn't mean there are none. A robust properly working DRS solution on the PS5 may readily need to be set to drop down to 1080p to manage framerates during those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back