Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

How about sixty seconds?

You can get that controller with a console called an Xbox :cool:

Or you can disable various options in the PS5 settings to set the resistance and vibration to low or off, turn of the lights etc and still have a controller with more functionality than any other competing system that shall not be named in this PS5 thread. ;)

Or you can disable various options in the PS5 settings to set the resistance and vibration to low or off, turn of the lights etc

Will that get you upto mid 30s to 40 hours of play time?

Who said 2 hours? Tests suggest that the controller is empty after about 4,x hours of astrobot (where all the new features are used).
This means you must always load the controller after using it, which has a negative effect on batteries if they get loaded every day.
Is this 2-4 h battery life coming from those tests where the rumble motors (and adaptive triggers) were constantly engaged at strong feedback, by playing a small part of Astrobot where maximum number of DS features are being used simultaneously.
With the motors, trigger feedback and speaker at max volume active all the time, 2-4 hours might be possible, but you know that's really not indicative of real life usage and DS battery life.

I think you are the only one but for my usage battery is not a real problem.

Definitely. :yes:

tenor.gif

You're using that as evidence of "real" tests? All I've seen are two subjective views of battery life.

And by the way, I've used pads from Xbox and PlayStation consoles and the convenience of having a battery built into the pad and never needing to change the battery (literally the entire PS4 generation required 0 battery changes) is simply a much better solution. Arguements to the contrary are very difficult to take seriously and reek of fake concern.

That's a pretty dismissive line to take. People with different preferences to you do exist out there - I'm obviously one!

I prefer a few seconds changing batteries to a few seconds connecting connecting a cable, then remaining tethered for potentially hours. Ten seconds (if that) to change batteries then I'm back to ~ 30 hours continuing on wirelessly. Interruption time is about the same, but I get to continue without wires. That suits me perfectly, particularly at a desk where wires down to the tower get in the way, and get trapped against the desk by my burgeoning gut. I do the same with my wireless mouse - rechargeable AAs all the way!

Am I the only one who still prefers to connect their controllers directly to the system? Rarely do I use wireless... just an extended USB cord. :runaway:

Didn't used to be a problem for me as a kid with those short, phat controller cables, but when I'm at a desk or crossing my legs using the Comfy Couch Gaming Position I find them a bit annoying. I do get a nostalgia hit unwinding those retro controllers though. With a 14" TV a short controller length didn't seem to be that much of an issue. Modern problems ...:cry:

Is this 2-4 h battery life coming from those tests where the rumble motors (and adaptive triggers) were constantly engaged at strong feedback, by playing a small part of Astrobot where maximum number of DS features are being used simultaneously.

Maybe this came from somebody who is really rubbish at Astrobot and got stuck in such a section?

I feel like if this was a widespread problem, it would definitely have been mentioned by a lot of people by now, especially given how much attention the controller is getting. Maybe the guy just has a defective controller?

Maybe this came from somebody who is really rubbish at Astrobot and got stuck in such a section?

I feel like if this was a widespread problem, it would definitely have been mentioned by a lot of people by now, especially given how much attention the controller is getting. Maybe the guy just has a defective controller?
Pretty sure DF mentioned the battery life was around the same even playing Astro

That's a pretty dismissive line to take. People with different preferences to you do exist out there - I'm obviously one!

I prefer a few seconds changing batteries to a few seconds connecting connecting a cable, then remaining tethered for potentially hours. Ten seconds (if that) to change batteries then I'm back to ~ 30 hours continuing on wirelessly. Interruption time is about the same, but I get to continue without wires. That suits me perfectly, particularly at a desk where wires down to the tower get in the way, and get trapped against the desk by my burgeoning gut. I do the same with my wireless mouse - rechargeable AAs all the way!

Didn't used to be a problem for me as a kid with those short, phat controller cables, but when I'm at a desk or crossing my legs using the Comfy Couch Gaming Position I find them a bit annoying. I do get a nostalgia hit unwinding those retro controllers though. With a 14" TV a short controller length didn't seem to be that much of an issue. Modern problems ...:cry:

There are always outliers in absolutely every opinion, I agree. If both manufacturers were to release 2 controllers; one with a battery pack built in and one without (with essentially the same price) I imagine the former will sell significantly better than the latter. That's not to say that there aren't people that prefer using AA batteries. *shrugs*

My point is that we get people that reiterate concern and unjustified FUD. Then we end up talking about it for a few pages.

For many it all depends. Is this a cheap controller? Is this a premium $150-$170 controller? What is the decay capacity rate of the battery? Is the internal battery user servicable?

What is the point of this question? Really, think about it.

The conversation started talking about controllers with longer battery life so I asked if your suggestion would meet their needs.

For many it all depends. Is this a cheap controller? Is this a premium $150-$170 controller? What is the decay capacity rate of the battery? Is the internal battery user servicable?

They're apparently built to last 3-5 years before degradation.

We're seeing the most significant generational change in a controller since the analogue stick in the N64 pad and against all odds, people are complaining about it.

I have no concerns with the pad except wondering about the quality of the thumbsticks (which I have had problems with) and if the triggers will last the generation.

I'm genuinely very excited to see what all the fuss is about when they arrive.

They're apparently built to last 3-5 years before degradation.

We're seeing the most significant generational change in a controller since the analogue stick in the N64 pad and against all odds, people are complaining about it.

I have no concerns with the pad except wondering about the quality of the thumbsticks (which I have had problems with) and if the triggers will last the generation.

I'm genuinely very excited to see what all the fuss is about when they arrive.
I was going to go with Wii, then switch... then the oculus and VR controllers ...

but in regards to pro style controllers i see this as a nice evolutionary jump over what Xbox did last generation. And an improvement of what switch did.

As for the commentary around testing; as a analyst/therapist inconsistent numbers are fairly normal. Take 30 samples before anything is statically valid. Terms like mean, median and move, variance and std deviation give us an idea of what to really expect; unfortunately in a non-embargo race to get clicks people don’t give a shit about proper testing.

with respect to Loading times; very interesting especially if times are inconsistent. Would love to figure out the settings to make times consistent. Code doesn’t change, so something is causing times to go off.

I will try the loading things when I get my ps5! I don’t have the patience to run the charging test lol. 30x recharging that controller may be a whole year of playing. And you need to come up with a consistent way of measuring unless you alway go from 100% to full discharge in a single session. No one plays like that for more than a day in a full moon.

I was going to go with Wii, then switch... then the oculus and VR controllers ...

but in regards to pro style controllers i see this as a nice evolutionary jump over what Xbox did last generation. And an improvement of what switch did.

As for the commentary around testing; as a analyst/therapist inconsistent numbers are fairly normal. Take 30 samples before anything is statically valid. Terms like mean, median and move, variance and std deviation give us an idea of what to really expect; unfortunately in a non-embargo race to get clicks people don’t give a shit about proper testing.

with respect to Loading times; very interesting especially if times are inconsistent. Would love to figure out the settings to make times consistent. Code doesn’t change, so something is causing times to go off.

I'm not a fan of the Wii or Switch controllers (we have two Switches at home and a WiiU). I can't comment on the Oculus ones. I have PSVR and the Move controllers and I've been disappointed with VR so far and I was really excited to use it. :(

Agreed regarding testing, too early to tell atm.

Loading times are going to require third party software that make use of the systems' full IO functionality. Might take second gen games and even there we may get efforts to make them consistent because of cross platform online play. We'll have to wait and see how it works out...

...Miles Morales does load insanely quickly...

Back