Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I'm not a fan of the Wii or Switch controllers (we have two Switches at home and a WiiU). I can't comment on the Oculus ones. I have PSVR and the Move controllers and I've been disappointed with VR so far and I was really excited to use it. :(

Agreed regarding testing, too early to tell atm.

Loading times are going to require third party software that make use of the systems' full IO functionality. Might take second gen games and even there we may get efforts to make them consistent because of cross platform online play. We'll have to wait and see how it works out...

...Miles Morales does load insanely quickly...
Yea but they are revolutionary though :) lol and they brought massive advancements to how we see controllers well before what we have today.

I’m not taking anything away from dual sense; I just want to give a nod to the work Nintendo has done with motion controllers, HD rumbles, pointing devices as well as haptic feedback.

active tension is pretty cool though; I suspect it is magnetic tension right ? Easiest way to waveform imo. And should provide great results

Most games that are non-VR have essentially dropped motion controls. On the Switch, I can only think of one game that uses them and we didn't play it for much longer than a few hours. I even bought Kinect which I actually enjoyed for longer than most... thing is, these control schemes have essentially been dropped since their 1st/2nd versions.

Analogue really *was* revolutionary since all controllers since then have them present. Same for rumble. I suspect the tension of triggers will be another that becomes a common feature in future controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are always outliers in absolutely every opinion, I agree. If both manufacturers were to release 2 controllers; one with a battery pack built in and one without (with essentially the same price) I imagine the former will sell significantly better than the latter. That's not to say that there aren't people that prefer using AA batteries. *shrugs*

My point is that we get people that reiterate concern and unjustified FUD. Then we end up talking about it for a few pages.

Sure, I'm not alone where I live in buying up multiple MS Elite V1 controllers instead of the Elite V2 controllers because the batteries are replaceable. While I'd love to have an Elite V2, I'm definitely not buying one until all of my Elite V1s die since the battery in the V2 isn't easily replaceable.

Much cheaper to buy extra Eneloops than it is to replace the controller.

Hell, I just replaced my Oral-B electric toothbrush which had a dead built in battery. I opted for a cheaper model with replaceable batteries rather than get another one with a built in battery. Shrug.

If my old Logitech Harmony remote allowed replacement batteries, I'd still be using it. It was great. Up until the battery couldn't hold a charge for any meaningful period of time. At least with my iPhone 6s it was expensive enough that I paid someone to replace the battery in it...twice. I hate the thought that if it was a cheap phone that I would have ended up throwing it away instead.

I hate throwing away perfectly good electronic items just because the internal battery can no longer hold a meaningful charge.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Just so im clear on how bc works...

If the game is running in ps4 mode(never had a pro patch) then the ps5 is running at base ps4 clocks?

And if the game has a pro mode it runs at ps4 pro clocks?

And the game can access full ps5 clocks if the devs go back and patch?(like ghost of tsushima and days gone)

And im also assuming all these are different from native remasters like spiderman remastered which is essentially a ps5 game able to fully utilize the systems architecture and ssd?

Just so im clear on how bc works...

If the game is running in ps4 mode(never had a pro patch) then the ps5 is running at base ps4 clocks?

And if the game has a pro mode it runs at ps4 pro clocks?

I think DigitalFoundry said they found nearly all the titles they tested ran in Boosted BC mode. Otherwise the games would have the same 30fps if the CPU was running at original clocks and not hitting the 60 fps when the engine originally ran with unlocked framerates.

How is it working in BC Boosted mode? Is it still running original clocks for the GPU but the CPU is boosting it? Or is it both running full?

why nobody talking about the BRAND NEW PLAYSTATION STORE website?

Its friggin amazing! I can add "free" PS Plus games to my library with 1 click. No need to add a bunch of them then checkout. Simply open the all-in-one free ps plus games page https://store.playstation.com/en-id/subscriptions then open all free games in new tab, and click add, switch tab, click add, switch tab, click add. BAM!

New why nobody talking about the BRAND NEW PLAYSTATION STORE

There was talk about it earlier and it seemed they hated it because it was nonfunctional for some aspects.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2171394/

OMF! The new Playstation Store is horrendous. I can't get to the store now to buy anything and even the PS Plus page is bloddy useless and overbloated now.

I then tried to log a complaint and all I get is hints at issues that doesn't help my problem.

FFS Sony! Get your shit together.

Anyone have a clue as to how I can log a complaint?

There was talk about it earlier and it seemed they hated it because it was nonfunctional for some aspects.

Haven't actually looked at the web store but just had a gander at the store on the new app on my cellphone and it is a massive improvement.

Haven't actually looked at the web store but just had a gander at the store on the new app on my cellphone and it is a massive improvement.
did they also improved the mobile app speed? it was really slow for me, faster to use chrome to open the mobile store page hahaha.

have not tried the app since the redesign tho.

I don't know, I find the whole article a bit weak. Not trying to argue one is better than the other but the only thing I get from that article is that the controller is better because of the haptic feedback which is fair enough. The only other (positive) differentiator they mention is the UI because... its new. I don't own any of the previous consoles so I can't say one is better than the other but as long as you can easily launch you games, does it really matter? I love the Switch's bare bones UI because it allows me to just play the game.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2171394/
@orangpelupa

Still broken. I still can't purchase any PS4 games at this point in time.

ZA is my region.

https://www.playstation.com/en-za/ps-plus/this-month-on-ps-plus/

The above is fine and I see the new games for the month. Middle-Earth and Hollow Knight. I go to Download now button/tab and ...

https://store.playstation.com/en-za...his-month-on-ps-plus:buttonblock-download-now

upload_2020-11-9_8-4-2.png
Then I click on the "Go to PS Store" link. I get the same output as above.

https://store.playstation.com/en-za/undefined

Ok, It's a browser issue. I used Firefox above.

I now tried with Chrome and it worked. Weird. I can't say if it was broken on Chrome because I never tested on Chrome earlier but FF is still broken.

The thing is even the Mobile browser(I have a S20) didn't work before. Just had a look and it's working now. It seems to use the Samsung browser.

Last edited:
I think DigitalFoundry said they found nearly all the titles they tested ran in Boosted BC mode. Otherwise the games would have the same 30fps if the CPU was running at original clocks and not hitting the 60 fps when the engine originally ran with unlocked framerates.

Nx gamer seems to have different impression which is why i asked

why nobody talking about the BRAND NEW PLAYSTATION STORE website?

Its friggin amazing! I can add "free" PS Plus games to my library with 1 click. No need to add a bunch of them then checkout. Simply open the all-in-one free ps plus games page https://store.playstation.com/en-id/subscriptions then open all free games in new tab, and click add, switch tab, click add, switch tab, click add. BAM!

If you are on PS plus using the site or the app on phone you can add PS5 games like Bugsnax.

Back