How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Pretty sure he's saying that 400 for the S won't work, it needs to be at least 100 less than the current X.

I appreciate it might not be available, I'm just interested to understand why he thinks this way...I can understand the question 'is it worth upgrading my XBX for XSS?' and where that cost sits (ie I'd sell my X and only have to pay 100 to upgrade)...but if you walk into a shop and are presented with both options then what makes someone think the new XSS needs to be cheaper than the old XBX?

The closer and closer we get to the launch of these new systems the more murky the choices MS are presenting become. With the loss of Halo as the prime software incentive, the last leak on PS5 pricing (which may or may not be accurate), and the way MS have, almost, said don't bother with the XSX. It seems to me to enjoy everything that this up-coming generation has to offer all you need is to buy a PS5 and a Games Pass and maybe a Switch. The Xbox seems almost irrelevant now :/

if it's 399 and 599 it won't work.
For it to work it has to be at least 100 cheaper than the current XBO-X (after discounts) for it to differentiate.
if you have X1X your upgrade path will be to XSX. You've likely already set yourself up for 4K etc, the XSS is not the right device for a person that has setup the past few years for 4K

if you have X1X your upgrade path will be to XSX. You've likely already set yourself up for 4K etc, the XSS is not the right device for a person that has setup the past few years for 4K

I don't know, I mean - I have the X, but the fast loading speeds and RT are really tempting me...but then I do primarily game on PS so will be getting the PS5 and I'm thinking the XSS will compliment that until the XSX is a bit cheaper (I just can't justify a grand on 2 boxes is all!).

I don't know, I mean - I have the X, but the tempting loading speeds and RT are really tempting me...but then I do primarily game on PS so will be getting the PS5 and I'm thinking the XSS will compliment that until the XSX is a bit cheaper (I just can't justify a grand on 2 boxes is all!).
Yea that I get as well. I would just wait in that case. I guess it really depends on how much you can realistic leverage from the Xbox. The 1st party titles will be crossgen for the foreseeable year at the least. If you're playing all your 1P and 3P titles on PS5, I don't see too much of a point of buying an XSX. XSS would be the financially correct decision.

Having both consoles still cheaper than a new 2080TI sadly.

ahhh you know there are a lot of 3P titles out there that make up the bulk of games that are released each year? Exclusives aren't the only games that people like

But isn't that where Game Pass comes in. You don't need an Xbox for that. Phil even said so himself :) It only seems relevant now if you just want to upgrade from your old console. There's no other reason to do so.

But isn't that where Game Pass comes in. You don't need an Xbox for that. Phil even said so himself :) It only seems relevant now if you just want to upgrade from your old console. There's no other reason to do so.
Yea there's nothing wrong with wanting more performance. The X1S can barely keep up anymore and X1X doesn't provide 60fps.

Just because cyberpunk 2077 works on 1S doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy it on something that has 8x the power and can actually do the game justice.

If you're playing on PC that's fine, but it's expensive I wouldn't give people the wrong impression about it. To compete with XSX and PS5 you're going to need at least a 5700XT/2070 performance level card. Those are not cheap at all.

One S owners -> Series S
One X owners -> Series X

As an owner who has all 3 Xbox One SKUs my upgrade plans are to get my OG XB1 & XB1S(both connected to 1080p TVs) upgraded first. If the Series S is real I will use it to replace my XB1S(the one I play the most on). I will just move the 1S in my room to one of my kids. Then I will move the OG XB1 to another kid's room that doesn't have one. I will most likely leave the XB1X in the living room on the 4K TV & upgrade it to the Series X after the 1st year it's available. If there's no Series S, then I'm probably just getting it for my living room & move the XB1X to my room. Pricing will have a lot to do with when I pull the trigger on either of them.

Tommy McClain

Yea there's nothing wrong with wanting more performance. The X1S can barely keep up anymore and X1X doesn't provide 60fps.

Just because cyberpunk 2077 works on 1S doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy it on something that has 8x the power and can actually do the game justice.

If you're playing on PC that's fine, but it's expensive I wouldn't give people the wrong impression about it. To compete with XSX and PS5 you're going to need at least a 5700XT/2070 performance level card. Those are not cheap at all.

And that cost of entry is falling day by day. I just don't think MS are making this easy for themselves. There has been no absolute concrete reason given as to why you should get an XSX, in fact it's been the exact opposite so far. If the Lockhart isn't much cheaper than the PS5 digital then MS are going to find themselves in a marketing blackhole of their own making. No help required. Especially since Halo has bit the dust.

And that cost of entry is falling day by day. I just don't think MS are making this easy for themselves. There has been no absolute concrete reason given as to why you should get an XSX, in fact it's been the exact opposite so far. If the Lockhart isn't much cheaper than the PS5 digital then MS are going to find themselves in a marketing blackhole of their own making. No help required. Especially since Halo has bit the dust.
A 2070S alone today will still be more than PS5 and likely XSX at launch. Then you're still missing out on CPU, memory, and SSD and PSU to power it all. A from scratch gaming PC at 2070S level will cost the same as the 2 consoles combined or close to.

This whole concept of sticking it to MS because they have their games on PC is non-sensical. The largest driver for purchasing behaviour will come down to whether the product will provide you what you want at the lowest price point you can achieve.

Just because the games are now on PC or gamepass, or whatever doesn't make the money factor suddenly irrelevant. It's still one of the most relevant pieces of the puzzle. PS5 sales aren't going to sky rocket at a price point that is outside of mainstream pricing.

If you want the best possible Xbox Game Pass experience at the cheapest price point possible, you won't get better than XSX.

Last edited:
If we are comparing it to the series x . The $100 diffrence doesn't make much sense. For $100 you get a much more powerful system and if you have a 4k tv or are planning on a 4k tv near the time of your purchase it would be an odd choice.
Don't underestimate $100. That is a lot of money to a lot of people. And again, in every console selling scenario where a more powerful option was presented for more money, it sold less than the cheaper option. The number of people prioritising performance over cost are in a very small minority. :yep2:

Don't underestimate $100. That is a lot of money to a lot of people. And again, in every console selling scenario where a more powerful option was presented for more money, it sold less than the cheaper option. The number of people prioritising performance over cost are in a very small minority. :yep2:

I don't fully disagree with you. I think for many the 4k marketing will link the higher end device with the new tv they are buying.

That it is not always the case however.

But having the cheaper option will help sell a lot of units

I don't fully disagree with you. I think for many the 4k marketing will link the higher end device with the new tv they are buying.

That it is not always the case however.

But having the cheaper option will help sell a lot of units
well that still depends on how many people have a 4K tv. Some people are more than happy with their 1080p monitor. And many will play games using such a device instead.

You worry too much. Not as dire as you make it to be.

Tommy McClain

It will be the best console to play 3rd party games and best console to play xbox exclusive games on. The only platform more powerful is the pc. I didn't buy a xbox 360 launch day to play perfect dark. I got it to play the games that would come in the future. That is what the majority of people buying at launch will do.

Looking at the MS event they showed a lot of games that I would be excited to pick up. I will just be picking them up on the xbox pc app instead of the xbox hardware. But I know plenty of people who can't afford a gaming pc or don't want to spend the time messing with one who will be playing these games on a series x .

well that still depends on how many people have a 4K tv. Some people are more than happy with their 1080p monitor. And many will play games using such a device instead.
Yup. And even those who buy a 4K TV/monitor because, let's be frank - 1080p options are pretty thin except in smaller sizes, many will accept that the difference between 1080p and 4K from their viewing distance from their TV isn't noticeable.

Yup. And even those who buy a 4K TV/monitor because, let's be frank - 1080p options are pretty thin except in smaller sizes, many will accept that the difference between 1080p and 4K from their viewing distance from their TV isn't noticeable.
Unfortunately it does take a proper setup to really see the difference between the two.

Don't forget to throw in the cost of a new AVR if you have that part of your existing setup in order to make the most of your 4K experience.

True, but the difference between SDR and HDR will be quite noticeable even to Jane Consumer.

Back