Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil always talks like this, it means nothing.

I'm still in the 10TF +/- 20% camp. :LOL:
10TF +20% is 12TF, so you'd be right even if it is 12TF. I'm in mostly the same camp, though. I think 10TF is basically the lowest they could go, but I'm not sure it will be 12. So 10+ up to 20%, but not less.

It will be dead silent once it shuts off due to overheating :D
Playstations never shut off, they simply sleep, and then tell you that you didn't shut them off when you hit the power button.

If the PS5 is going to be 399, with a 10TF instead of 12TF GPU, with the rest of the system comparable, Sony already won that gen, again. Maybe MS wants to do another PS3, just for the sake of it :)
MS doing a PS3 would mean that they release a system that's overly complicated a year late that has trouble performing as well as the competition all while having a price premium. The only console they've ever released that wasn't the best performer is the one they released the same year as a Playstation. And they are about to do it again. That's what I would be worried about.

PS4 had keyb&mouse support from the 2013 launch [was used for launch MMOs], but devs did not care.

PS5 will support keyb&mouse at launch also [ff14 devs confirmed they are working on PS5 version], but again, non-MMO devs will not care.

Which is why I also put.

Looking at all that, I don't think it's bloody likely, but one can dream. At least WRT KB/M it does seem like Microsoft are interested in increasing support on Xbox for it, but I don't think it'll be something they force, unfortunately.

:) When I said increasing support, I meant in first party titles and trying to get 3rd parties to support it as well. I can't remember what game it was, but I think it was a game that was due out next year where the developers were demoing it on an Xbox console with KB/M because it felt better that way.

Both XBO and PS4 had KB/M support at launch, IIRC. As you noted FFXIV was a notable example of it being supported in a game by developers. But notably missing was that at the time neither MS nor Sony supported it in any of their first party titles.

But it's still bloody unlikely. Some developers might, but most wouldn't bother as they wouldn't see the potential benefits. Only the platform holders could see that and it's unlikely either would mandate universal KB/M support in games.

As well, it's highly unlikely we'll see adjustable graphics settings like we get on PC. The most likely one of my wish list items is the 60 FPS support in games. But again, it's unlikely that either console manufacturer will mandate it.

So...bloody unlikely. :)

It's a list of things that I would absolutely require before I bought a home console again, not what I expect either console maker to deliver.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
499 was a good spot when the other guy was 599.

Which is essentially what I said...and I can't imagine any universe where PS5 is 599!

The last time 399 was possible was when the HDD was $37 on the BOM, now we have a confirmed nvme drive for both.

Is nvme confirmed for both? Are they straight up retail or a cheap stripped down version? I just personally think (unless both launch at 499 then) 499 is a risky number...regardless of what it's packing. We live in an age when technology get's cheaper and that is the expectation from consumers.

That doesn't mean a 499 console won't sell, just that (like XBO) the sales will dry up once people like us have bought it and there's a cheaper alternative that's 'near enough' the same.

Which is essentially what I said...and I can't imagine any universe where PS5 is 599!

Is nvme confirmed for both? Are they straight up retail or a cheap stripped down version? I just personally think (unless both launch at 499 then) 499 is a risky number...regardless of what it's packing. We live in an age when technology get's cheaper and that is the expectation from consumers.

That doesn't mean a 499 console won't sell, just that (like XBO) the sales will dry up once people like us have bought it and there's a cheaper alternative that's 'near enough' the same.

While there are millions of idiots that pay +1000€/$ for an iphone, every year.

Gamers(partly) are different kind of idiots.

499€ or more for a console = cry
Yet so many pay 69.95€ for games, even stupid ass fifa/nhl copy&paste games.

+100€ is basically under 2 extra games so it should not be a big deal

It is just silly that way too expensive games are completely fine, but console should be half free.

I would rather pay 699€ for Epic performance than 299€ for some Nintendo level low perf dissapointment.

I dislike the idea of 2 systems on launch, but maybe 399€ and 599€ versions would be better than one system for cheap ass gamers.

Maybe it depends how many games people usually buy per gen, I usually get something between 60-150 titles, so I wait for sales for most of the time. If someone buys fifa/year and nothing else, then full price is not that bad I guess.

Games arent for kids anymore so imo they could make consoles bit more expensive. 499€ would be sweet spot, 599€ maybe highest after "real gamers" will hesitate to buy it

It is just silly that way too expensive games are completely fine, but console should be half free.

I would rather pay 699€ for Epic performance than 299€ for some Nintendo level low perf dissapointment.

I dislike the idea of 2 systems on launch, but maybe 399€ and 599€ versions would be better than one system for cheap ass gamers.

Maybe it depends how many games people usually buy per gen, I usually get something between 60-150 titles, so I wait for sales for most of the time. If someone buys fifa/year and nothing else, then full price is not that bad I guess.

Games arent for kids anymore so imo they could make consoles bit more expensive. 499€ would be sweet spot, 599€ maybe highest after "real gamers" will hesitate to buy it

lol, I know exactly what you mean - I never understood it myself either. I guess we shall see, my money is on 449.

Let's say the Windows Central specs for Anaconda are correct. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how well that hardware would work as an Azure node across various cloud workloads? Kinda wanted to revisit the dual-purpose potential that has been called out by Phil Spencer and how well that might actually work if this turns out to be the actual hardware.

The high end expensive gaming system market is already dominated by PC. No point in making consoles super expensive just to try to be the best, people who want the ultimate performance already has the PC option. Although, I do agree 599 should be ok but anything more, it pushes into you might as well buy a PC territory.

Interesting thing with your examples, people mostly buy their $1000 iphones on multi year plans. They buy the phone for like $300 and then pay $80 a month for years to actually pay it off. People just don't like to calculate the total cost, they just want a low bar to entry.

As well, it's highly unlikely we'll see adjustable graphics settings like we get on PC. The most likely one of my wish list items is the 60 FPS support in games. But again, it's unlikely that either console manufacturer will mandate it.

KB/M on consoles go hand in hand with framerates, try to play anything 30fps with a mouse these days. Also, KB/m isn't the only reason pc gamers play there they do. Btw, your text is extremely hard to read, once market it's possible though :p

While i myself never bought any phone for over 250 dollars, i wouldn't call those people that do idiots. A phone these days does everything, most use them all time their awake. A games console is just that, a games console.

The high end expensive gaming system market is already dominated by PC. No point in making consoles super expensive just to try to be the best, people who want the ultimate performance already has the PC option. Although, I do agree 599 should be ok but anything more, it pushes into you might as well buy a PC territory.

Ye... i wrote something like that in the other topic too, xbox=pc regarding games, people that are hardcore might get a pc by themselfs instead for the xsx which is basically a pc now with that size, and go for 16TF+ navi with some 12+ core threadripper 4ghz cpu, or something, late 2020/2021.

It's really not that big. A typical shoe box Silverstone case has almost twice the volume.

It is big for a traditional console, atleast most think so. If sony opts to go for a more practical solution that gets my vote. My PS4 fits nicely in from of the TV, the xsx isn't going to do that.

It is big for a traditional console, atleast most think so. If sony opts to go for a more practical solution that gets my vote. My PS4 fits nicely in from of the TV, the xsx isn't going to do that.

The launch XBone actually had a higher volume than XBX. My guess the ps5 will be about that size with funky airflows, just not quite as funky as the V devkit.

3 inches high is the most that would allow me to swap it with my Pro.

If they go as bold as MS in terms of size, they might as well make it an 8" cube. ;)

Some people had issues with the depth of the Pro though. Maybe they should stay below 10" like MS did, so it fits in 12" depth when including cable relief and rear vents minimum clearance.

I'd be perfectly happy with a nice 4U design, 19" x 7" x 17.8". Or even slighter smaller AVR sizes around 17.1" x 5.9" x 13.3".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back