Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

The stats in this thread will never prove anything. Sony exclusives sell well is statistically irrefutable. Sony exclusives are played far less than 3rd party games is statistically irrefutable. Forming an opinion on whether first party matters looking at either of these (or similar) factors is just choosing a belief and finding evidence to support it.

We need measurable cause-and-effect, or just give up and go with the most common-sense inferences (exclusives help shift consoles to some degree).
The big Sony exclusives sell for their single player experience usually. People finish the game once or twice and there isnt much reason to finish multiple times. Multiplayer games or games with greater emphasis on the multiplayer aspect on the other hand will get more play time. These tend to be multiplatform games. Does this say anything against the significance of exclusives? Nope

Do we have accurate data on sales ? Because Vgchartz is completely innacurate...

A little example with HZD : https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...on-sales-worldwide-ahead-of-its-1st-birthday/

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/69/playstation-4/

So the answer as it always has been, is, it depends.

You can say that to about everything. Does the price matter ? Yes and no... it doesn't really matter to people with high revenues.

The real question is does it matter to most people ? And the awnser is certainly yes.

Last edited:
Certainly matter

Between demographics might be where how much they matter will differ.

I’m willing to bet older males with higher disposable income will look at Sony’s offering as the place for them. While very young audiences with no income will look at F2P titles like Fortnite; and F2P games are all about friends usually.

So the answer as it always has been, is, it depends.

Fotnite on PS4 can be played yithout PS+ like every F2p
did it sell better than Nintendo Labo? Because Labo seems to be a success but nobody mentions that.

Yes it sells better than LABO in UK, Germany and Spain.

Edit: And France

Edit2: And I expect Labo to sell much better this fall, it is a casual and children things.

Last edited:
Yes it sells better than LABO in UK, Germany and Spain.
Don't forget Japan, Labo only sold 30% of their initial shipment
30% is really low, perhaps the lowest I've ever seen. It did not meet Nintnedo's expectations
But who knows maybe word of mouth will help

Yeah it matters until it doesn’t. LOL

You would be hard pressed to convince me that the Wii U was a Zelda launch game away from being a two year old console with 40 million in units sales. Or that the PS3 was just a GOW4 like title away from being able to hold a $600 price for longer than a handful of months.

Yeah it matters until it doesn’t. LOL

You would be hard pressed to convince me that the Wii U was a Zelda launch game away from being a two year old console with 40 million in units sales. Or that the PS3 was just a GOW4 like title away from being able to hold a $600 price for longer than a handful of months.
And who's to say that exclusives didn't matter in your examples? No one is saying that exclusives are the only factor in buying a console, we're just debating the importance.

PS3 basically tied with X360, despite being significantly more expensive, having weaker MP games most of the time, and launching a year later. I think exclusives and its overall library are what kept the PS3 from being a complete failure. Imagine if XB1 launched a year after PS4, was still more expensive today, and there was no XB1X.

Wii U just had too many things going against it: price, power, lack of software support etc.
NSW is also underpowered, and isn't cheap either. But their 1P output has been putting out quality exclusives on a consistent basis, and are some of highest rated and best selling exclusives of this gen. Plus they are getting way better 3P support.

In just over a year, NSW already has more games than Wii U's lifetime on Metacritic. And its exclusives are generally higher rated.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/wii-u?sort=desc&page=0
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/switch/filtered?sort=desc&page=0

So I'd argue that software is what kept the PS3 alive, and is why Nintendo has been able to bounce back from last gen.

Last edited:
And who's to say that exclusives didn't matter in your examples? No one is saying that exclusives are the only factor in buying a console, we're just debating the importance.

PS3 basically tied with X360, despite being significantly more expensive, having weaker MP games most of the time, and launching a year later. I think exclusives and its overall library are what kept the PS3 from being a complete failure. Imagine if XB1 launched a year after PS4, was still more expensive today, and there was no XB1X.

Wii U just had too many things going against it: price, power, lack of software support etc.
NSW is also underpowered, and isn't cheap either. But their 1P output has been putting out quality exclusives on a consistent basis, and are some of highest rated and best selling exclusives of this gen. Plus they are getting way better 3P support.

In just over a year, NSW already has more games than Wii U's lifetime on Metacritic. And its exclusives are generally higher rated.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/wii-u?sort=desc&page=0
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/switch/filtered?sort=desc&page=0

So I'd argue that software is what kept the PS3 alive, and is why Nintendo has been able to bounce back from last gen.

The point I was trying to make is that most gamers don’t solely judge a console based on one aspect.

The XB1 and PS4 are basically the same console outside a few aspects. So the differences like exclusive titles and power stand out making those two aspects major influencers for those that have purchased the PS4.

But if the PS4 had been a $800 console that looked like a cardboard shoe box and had a $50 a month PSN service fee, the strength of the PS4’s first party library and its extra performance power might not have provided the competitive edge enjoyed by the PS4 now.

Whether one aspect of a platform is important is dependent on other aspects of the platform which are compared and contrasted against the execution of those aspects on the competitors platform.

An advantage of one aspect of a console can be nullified if other aspects are seen as a deficit in comparison to what a competitor offers.

Well the PS4 sold more than twice as much as the Xbox so it proves the significance of having exclusives.

It it the best PS4 April and the first time a console sold more than 300k in April since 2010 and the 11th April all consoles included handheld...

1. DS 2009: 1042K (DSi launch......DS was monster)
2. Wii 2008: 714K
3. DS 2007: 471K
4. DS 2010: 441K
5. GBA 2003: 431K
6. DS 2008: 415K
7. Wii 2007: 360K
8. PSP 2005: 351K (launch was in march)
9. Wii 2009: 340K
10. PS2 2005: 332K
11. PS4 2018: 326K

Well the PS4 sold more than twice as much as the Xbox so it proves the significance of having exclusives.

Or PS4 doesn't have any games. :mrgreen::love:

Seriously, what hardware numbers can we expect from Spidey bundles!? Something between 420-450k units?

Best April for PS4, 11th best April for a console including handheld, +58% YoY in its 5th year, with only a $100 price reduction since launch. But it's just coincidence. :D

I'm going to predict 1.5M sales for GoW in April's NPD report.

So far in 2018, XB1's YoY increase for each respective month has been 48%, 44%, 24%, 20%. XB1X's boost seems to be wearing off as I expected. YoY gains might start to go up again in June, since that's when XB1X was announced, which I think negatively affected XB1 sales.

Last edited:
Bet it does not end the discussion on the value of exclusives ;)

Considering they got a 120k bump YoY for maybe the most hyped game ever that scored straight tens...yeah :p 120k is not much to a holiday month of 1-2 million.

Dont get me wrong, I'm almost surprised it did provide such a noticeable bump as most software does not.

People overreact to 300k in April. Or the ordinal placement (who was #1, even if all consoles were close enough it's really irrelevant, etc). It's a tad silly, even though I do it as much as the next guy.

That Xbox number is bad, hidden by the +20% YoY. 132k?!

Still, the streak of up YoY continues.

Last edited:
It's very rare for a single software title to move HW in a noticeable way these days, especially in a sales report over the course of a whole month, and especially when you're already the market leader in your 5th year without a price drop in close to 2 years.

In Japan you see more noticeable HW bumps because they report on a weekly basis. The fact that GoW provided a significant bump for all of April (+58% YoY) is pretty big. GoW single handily helped PS4 outsell both of its competition combined. Having a well reviewed software title that has global recognition that everyone is talking about only available on your platform is invaluable. As is releasing desirable, well reviewed exclusive content on a consistent basis... it greatly helps you stay on top. It reminds gamers and gives them reason to buy your system.

Eventually the PS4 will reach a saturation point at its current price and it will need a price drop. But for now, there's no reason to... games like GoW are extending the life of the PS4 at its current price.

Considering they got a 120k bump YoY for maybe the most hyped game ever that scored straight tens...yeah :p 120k is not much to a holiday month of 1-2 million.

Dont get me wrong, I'm almost surprised it did provide such a noticeable bump as most software does not.

People overreact to 300k in April. Or the ordinal placement (who was #1, even if all consoles were close enough it's really irrelevant, etc). It's a tad silly, even though I do it as much as the next guy.

That Xbox number is bad, hidden by the +20% YoY. 132k?!

Still, the streak of up YoY continues.

It's very rare for a single software title to move HW in a noticeable way these days, especially in a sales report over the course of a whole month, and especially when you're already the market leader in your 5th year without a price drop in close to 2 years.

In Japan you see more noticeable HW bumps because they report on a weekly basis. The fact that GoW provided a significant bump for all of April (+58% YoY) is pretty big. GoW single handily helped PS4 outsell both of its competition combined. Having a well reviewed software title that has global recognition that everyone is talking about only available on your platform is invaluable. As is releasing desirable, well reviewed exclusive content on a consistent basis... it greatly helps you stay on top. It reminds gamers and gives them reason to buy your system.

Eventually the PS4 will reach a saturation point at its current price and it will need a price drop. But for now, there's no reason to... games like GoW are extending the life of the PS4 at its current price.

And from one of sales insider in resetera God of War software sales are great in May too.

Last edited:

True, but few exclusives are so highly acclaimed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arguing that exclusives don’t matter belongs to the realm of trolling, at this point. There is literally nothing to argue about, the facts are too clear to see.

Back