Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

From what I saw, it's move to X location on a grid, hit QTE button in time with the music (too soon or too late and you don't get credit), move to next location on the grid, hit different QTE button in time with the music. Higher difficulty opponents decrease the time window to get to the location and hit the correct button. It's basically a QTE with movement involved with longer paths taken to get to the next button press increasing your score.

The difficulty is moving to the next location (to which there are many many paths) with as long path as possible in the given time. That is as far from a QTE as you can get.

I can understand someone expressing what he expects to like or not like from a game based on youtube videos but using youtube videos as an absolute understanding of a game's fan factor/mechanics as if it is equal to experience it is not the same :p

Xbox's dark cloud over them is how bad their 1st-party lineup looks compared to Playstation's.

This is probably greatly overrated by the media/forums.

UK 2017 top 20 best selling, GT Sport is #9 (top Sony exclusive) and Forza Horizon is #12 (top MS exclusive) (despite the latter releasing in 2016). This is about right given quite a few more PS4's have sold in the UK.

Other Sony/Xbox exclusives UK 2017 best sellers, Horizon ZD is #10, Forza 7 is #19, (and that is all for 1st party) ironically the best selling Sony exclusive is a much less hyped 3rd party one, Crash Bandicoot at #7. That's it. No Sony exclusive also made the 2017 NPD top 10 (several Nintendo exclusives did). For all the hype around god of war, it well may not make the top ten NPD in 2018 either (it's trended below Horizon in the UK, though word is the franchise is bigger in the US).

So, summarizing Sony/MS 1st party exclusives UK sales all of 2017 including digital:

#9 GT Sport
#10 Horizon Zero Dawn
#12 Forza Horizon 3
#19 Forza 7

The last hardware figures from Zhuge EX were around ~5 million PS4's vs ~3.8 million Xbox Ones IIRC in UK, that was a recent update..

The disparity doesn't seem undue. BTW I'm simply focusing in UK numbers cause they were given out!

I could see both Spiderman and gow making the the top ten NPD 2018 around 7-10, but that may just be forums biasing me.

Being on forums you will think gow will be the #1 seller by ten times over anything else (it's forum threads are attended as much) but...it wont be.

UK 2017 top 20 best selling, GT Sport is #9 (top Sony exclusive) and Forza Horizon is #12 (top MS exclusive) (despite the latter releasing in 2016). This is about right given quite a few more PS4's have sold in the UK.

Other Sony/Xbox exclusives UK 2017 best sellers, Horizon ZD is #10, Forza 7 is #19, (and that is all for 1st party) ironically the best selling Sony exclusive is a much less hyped 3rd party one, Crash Bandicoot at #7. That's it. No Sony exclusive also made the 2017 NPD top 10 (several Nintendo exclusives did). For all the hype around god of war, it well may not make the top ten NPD in 2018 either (it's trended below Horizon in the UK, though word is the franchise is bigger in the US).

So, summarizing Sony/MS 1st party exclusives UK sales all of 2017 including digital:

#9 GT Sport
#10 Horizon Zero Dawn
#12 Forza Horizon 3
#19 Forza 7

The last hardware figures from Zhuge EX were around ~5 million PS4's vs ~3.8 million Xbox Ones IIRC in UK, that was a recent update..

The disparity doesn't seem undue. BTW I'm simply focusing in UK numbers cause they were given out!

I could see both Spiderman and gow making the the top ten NPD 2018 around 7-10, but that may just be forums biasing me.

Being on forums you will think gow will be the #1 seller by ten times over anything else (it's forum threads are attended as much) but...it wont be.

Again UK and US are not all the number, the most interesting things is comparing worwilde exclusives sales with 3rd party PS4 version of a game. I am sure there is not so many 3rd party title beating HZD or better UC4(probably 10+ millions sold now...)

Nope, often times exclusives are underappreciated in forums, but rightfully praised in the media. Here and at other various forums, I've seen quite a few people say '3P make up for most of the games on both platforms, therefore 1P doesn't really matter'. When IMO exclusives are a big driver in selling your platform when you look at the big picture... they are what separate you from the competition.. they are reasons to buy your platform over the other. Because ultimately, GAMES are the main reason why people buy GAMING consoles... who would've thought.

Looking at top X sales in one specific year in one specific region is nice and all, but it doesn't tell the whole story... far from it. The large majority of Sony's exclusives have sold multiple millions of copies and they cover a wide range of genres. How many people bought a PS4 specifically for those titles. If both platforms have the same 3P games, those 1P/exclusives on the other platform will sway a lot of people's purchasing decisions, as those experiences are unique to one platform. And there are vastly more unique experiences on PS4 than XB1, that's a simple fact. They may be relatively niche titles, but most of them have a decent sized audience judging by their individual sales

GoW and Spider-Man will both easily make the top 5 on PlayStation in 2018. The only games that I think will even challenge either of those, are CoD, RDR2 or MHW. If you mean top 10 all platforms then of course not... that's just silly to even think about.

Last edited:

#9 GT Sport
#10 Horizon Zero Dawn
#12 Forza Horizon 3
#19 Forza 7

You're comparing numbers #9 and #10 for Sony to #12 and #19 for Microsoft, in a country where the Xbox is clearly selling way better than the rest of the world (1:1.32 UK vs. 1:2 worldwide).
A similar comparison for 2016 shows Uncharted 4 in #6 and Gear of War 4 in #20. Again: in a country where the Xbox is selling a lot better than the rest of the world (it's probably US and UK alike).

The stats in this thread will never prove anything. Sony exclusives sell well is statistically irrefutable. Sony exclusives are played far less than 3rd party games is statistically irrefutable. Forming an opinion on whether first party matters looking at either of these (or similar) factors is just choosing a belief and finding evidence to support it.

We need measurable cause-and-effect, or just give up and go with the most common-sense inferences (exclusives help shift consoles to some degree).

That's how you end ambiguity of sales, release numbers.
It’s not necessarily a benefit to release numbers. As a leader of the industry it is the natural position to take. As a competitor trying to catch up it’s not ideal to release numbers.

There are reasons we do not see game pass or EA access numbers. Or how many players there are on 1P exclusives on game pass.

Just a thought.

It’s not necessarily a benefit to release numbers. As a leader of the industry it is the natural position to take. As a competitor trying to catch up it’s not ideal to release numbers.

Then the number probably disappoints. If you have a week of sales on two platforms and have to hide behind rate of sales relative to a specific developer's games then something is amiss. There was so much confusing across the boards (still is), but I'm sure that was the intent.

The stats in this thread will never prove anything. Sony exclusives sell well is statistically irrefutable. Sony exclusives are played far less than 3rd party games is statistically irrefutable. Forming an opinion on whether first party matters looking at either of these (or similar) factors is just choosing a belief and finding evidence to support it.

We need measurable cause-and-effect, or just give up and go with the most common-sense inferences (exclusives help shift consoles to some degree).

Surly the numbers the consoles sell means exclusives matter. Last gen 360 did really well, It had lots of quality exclusives. Obviously there were other reasons too but it would be foolish to think highly rated big selling exclusives don't have an impact but that's just my opinion.
If for some reason I can only buy one console next gen I would have to get a PlayStation and that would be because of the exclusives. So yes you are exactly right. I do think if exclusives move 5 million plus units they must be having an impact.

Surly the numbers the consoles sell means exclusives matter.
Or the price, or the controller, or the feature set, or people wanting the same console of their friends.

Fundamentally, except on an individual level where people are willing to share, nobody (incl. Sony) has any idea exactly why tens of millions of people buy a product. :nope: Exclusives sure do matter to some but not to others. What are the numbers of those people? Nobody knows.

Surly the numbers the consoles sell means exclusives matter
Certainly matter

Between demographics might be where how much they matter will differ.

I’m willing to bet older males with higher disposable income will look at Sony’s offering as the place for them. While very young audiences with no income will look at F2P titles like Fortnite; and F2P games are all about friends usually.

So the answer as it always has been, is, it depends.

Surly the numbers the consoles sell means exclusives matter. Last gen 360 did really well, It had lots of quality exclusives. Obviously there were other reasons too but it would be foolish to think highly rated big selling exclusives don't have an impact but that's just my opinion.
If for some reason I can only buy one console next gen I would have to get a PlayStation and that would be because of the exclusives. So yes you are exactly right. I do think if exclusives move 5 million plus units they must be having an impact.
Yeah, I think the fact that Nintendo and Sony sell well globally, and that the majority of their exclusives sell multiple millions of copies, tells us that exclusives matter quite a bit. Where would NSW even be without Mario, Zelda, Splatoon etc.?

Yeah it's a different story with XB1 and PS4 because they have better 3P support, but Sony has the same 3P as XB1 (if not better), as well as strong 1P support.

And yeah, X360 was MS' best selling console they've made, and it had their largest and most diverse library of exclusives, many of which sold really well. Their exclusives were also full exclusives, too; ie not on PC.

Back