Horizon: Zero Dawn - Graphics de-Gushing

Nighttime is just the best.
horizonzerodawn_20170w3ygx.jpg

horizonzerodawn_2017025l2n.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170lsxmk.jpg

Also, I can confirm that what I posted above isn't true for every area, moved to a different area and no more yellowish tones during daytime

horizonzerodawn_20170lcj3o.jpg

Nice SSR on reflective materials, slightly spoilerish

horizonzerodawn_201701xkj1.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170gljyw.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170dykxe.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170jlk7r.jpg

Took advantage of it for this shot :p
horizonzerodawn_20170mljjv.png

Last edited:
The game looks very good and it is graphically definitely one of the most impressive open world games. On the consoles there is in my opinion currently no competition which can keep pace with this. Especially on the standard PlayStation 4.

But there also things which are not well implemented:
-water often does not fit next to the environment and in generel it has a moderate quality
-SSRs could also be better.
-high grass in which the player can hide looks great and are able to move if one goes through. Unfortunately this is not the case for other things like normal grass, flowers, bushes etc.
-indirect lighting varies too little and appears flat.
-in places where people live the NPCs often look the same. Partially there are people on a bench next to each other where two of them look the same.

Other open world games also have some of these problems. All of the best open world games have their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Water looks good in screens, but the movement and "physics" are pretty basic, and no interaction with the character.
Someone on neogaf posted comparison pictures between performance mode and resolution mode, i think i saw better reflections in performance mode, i should check myself to verify.
foliage interaction is a letdown, again in uncharted 4 it reacts to main character and allies AI, but not ennemies. They could have done that at least for Alloy. Maybe in a future update, or there is no more room for improvement.

We're not really quite there yet regarding some details on the face like eyebrows and eyelashes. The eye looks more convincing on Aki's model and have better reflection. Getting really close though, next-gen we should see spirits within level of character fidelity. The hair might be impossible still

cgcomparison1qsd5.png

you can still see polygon edges on alloy whereas Aki's perfectly round. Maybe polycount is not higher on Aki but they may use NURBS ?
Where is Laa-Yosh when we need him ? lol

Some ultrawide goodness, this is def the best looking open world game that I've played so far
horizonzerodawn_20170dakgw.jpg

Volumetrig fog always looks nice
horizonzerodawn_20170q0k7u.jpg

The game is also correctly using specular occlusion (aka most things that shouldn't be shiny, aren't):
horizonzerodawn_20170qgj4r.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170kckvy.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170t3jtb.jpg

horizonzerodawn_20170vcjla.jpg

Of course the caveat here is that there must be a shadow for this to work properly and not everything casts a shadow. But it improves the overall look of the game significantly.

So many awesome visuals in this game. About 30 a second by my reckoning.

The game is really getting Jurassic Park like, had some intense battle with a trio of Belloback which reminded me of the Suchomimus. It showed me what it feels like to be hunted by those giant theropod dinosaurs for the first time and boy I haven't even met Thunderjaw yet. Really love the design of those machines it's right up in my ally.

Back