Most visually impressive Open World game [WARNING: Massive Inlined Image Dumps]

Infamous Second Son should be up there as well

Not nearly as many NPCs or vehicles as GTA5, however average building detail surpasses GTA5.
Infamous-Second-Son-First-Light-PS4-Pro-4K-6.png

ZOO138Hc

infamous-first-light-screenshot-7-1920x1080.jpg

GDDYuCd.jpg

Last edited:
Watch Dogs 2 has a beautiful city and surrounding area but compared to GTA V, it's deserted. GTA looks and feels 'busy' and traffic works, i.e. vehicles navigate the city well. I've noticed traffic gets stuck for no apparent reason in Watch Dogs 2 a lot.

Second Son was graphically the best open world game on all plattforms for a while. Until the PC version of AC: Unity arrived (my opinion).
Yeah, at close range most buildings in inFamous Second Son are more detailed than in GTA V. On the consoles Second Son is graphically much superior to GTA V but compared to the maxed out PC version, I see GTA V still ahead. Personally, I would classify Witcher III (PC) graphically below Second Son.

According to my knowledge the limitation of the cars in Watchdogs 2 is the same as in Watchdogs 1 with 32 cars. The traffic in GTA V is more lively but I would not call it bad in Watch Dogs 2. Yes, there are some bugs too.

Last edited:
According to my knowledge the limitation of the cars in Watchdogs 2 is the same as in Watchdogs 1 with 32 cars. The traffic in GTA V is more lively but I would not call it bad in Watch Dogs 2. Yes, there are some bugs too.
The vehicle AI in WD2 is bad. Hang around at any intersection and after a few minutes traffic will grind to a halt for no reason. Even on a single straight roads, you'll end up with traffic jammed for no reason. GTA V's vehicle AI not only works, it works around problems created by the player/environment. For me, this and the density issue are why I give the nod to GTA V.

I had so far only a few problems with the vehicle AI. The pursuers are also good.
On the other hand the pedestrian AI in Watch Dogs 2 is massively superior to GTA V. What the passersby can do and how versatile they are. I have not seen anything like that in an open world game yet. That feels much more lively. Alone when I call the police to arrest a passers they react differently and dynamically. If I briefly stun the policeman with a disturbing noise pedestrian looks at the stuned policeman and sometimes run away. Then the policeman runs after him again.

There is almost non interaction with the AI in GTA V which can only walk. When I get closer to them they run like zombies away. They will never do anything else but run. In a group everyone runs in any direction just when I approach them. In Watchdogs 2 the group holds together more frequently. They also make something together after the player created disturbance. While in GTA V everyone goes in any direction.

Here is a video with AI in action: http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_watch_dogs_2_ps4_pro_messing_with_the_ai-38682_en.html

In GTA V you will not find such a complex intercation. NEVER. The civilians are just as dumb as in The Division.

Path finding is also good. If I let enemies attack by the police the police find them even in more hidden places.

Last edited:
Its too bad that the gaming industry is limited by the technological limitations of cpu manufacturers. I'd imagine if amd/intel were able to offer year on year cpu performance improvements seen in the heady days of the 90s, we'd see developers take full advantage of that and we'd see better AI and simulations in games like GTA5.

I think it's more about the target platform performance limiting their capabilities. If everyone had 8-core i7's or equivalent across PC and console, then developers would be able to achieve more. Watch_Dogs 2 was next-gen only and followed several years after GTAV so likely had a bigger AI CPU budget.

I think it's more about the target platform performance limiting their capabilities. If everyone had 8-core i7's or equivalent across PC and console, then developers would be able to achieve more. Watch_Dogs 2 was next-gen only and followed several years after GTAV so likely had a bigger AI CPU budget.
That is what I mean. Its the hurles that intel and amd have encountered in the past 13 years or so bumping up against the limitations of silicon that have prevented a box with $400 MSRP from having a better cpu than what MS/Sony were able to get. And thus have limited what devs can do.

The 9 year gulf between the 1996 - 2005 (N64 to X360) saw a monumentally greater jump in cpu performance than from 2005 - 2013 (X360 to X1/PS4).

Last edited:
Its too bad that the gaming industry is limited by the technological limitations of cpu manufacturers. I'd imagine if amd/intel were able to offer year on year cpu performance improvements seen in the heady days of the 90s, we'd see developers take full advantage of that and we'd see better AI and simulations in games like GTA5.

The theoretical realistic CPU capacity if things had been different is of course unknown for me. But if there had been one GPU like progress videogames would be quite different today. ^^

I hope we will se a major CPU advance in the next Xbox compared to the current one. More progress would be realized somewhat faster.

As far as I know Kingdom Come Deliverance has a bigger AI budget than most games.

There is almost non interaction with the AI in GTA V which can only walk. When I get closer to them they run like zombies away. They will never do anything else but run. In a group everyone runs in any direction just when I approach them.

WD2 ped AI is more dynamic but you have tools intended to interact directly with the peds but GTA peds react differently, they don't all just run away.

Some will stop and stare, some will call the cops and others will attack - depending on what you're doing, where you are and who the ped is. Random pedestrians, cops, gang members, scripted enemies, ousted drivers all have different behaviours too.

Last edited by a moderator:
A more expensive effect (Watch Dogs 2)

(Marcus Holloway can also be seen at the left of this screen)
WD2_FOG (1) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr
The bridge in the distance looks beautiful in the middle of the fog.
WD2_FOG (2) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG (3) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG (4) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG (5) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG (6) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG_ (7) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG_ (8) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG_ (9) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

WD2_FOG_(10) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

I also have uncompressed the pictures. But I did not want to kill this side. ^^

The effect deserves this attention. I have not seen anything in like that in this resolution, intensity and scale. This volumetric fog can cost quite a lot of rendering capacity. One Batman video game uses something similar on a much smaller scale. But there it is a NVidia exclusive effect.

I think that it will take several years until we see something like this on consoles. I am not speaking of volumetric clouds.

EDIT:

Mass Effect Andromeda and Ghost Recon Wildlands will also be released next year. Mass Effect may not be an open world game.

I wonder if that game will ever be released.

Why not. ^ ^ This time, all versions should be released simultaneously. The PC version has always been moved abit. What makes the quality better as it is not finished yet.

WD2 ped AI is more dynamic but you have tools intended to interact directly with the peds but GTA peds react differently, they don't all just run away.

Some will stop and stare, some will call the cops and others will attack - depending on what you're doing, where you are and who the ped is. Random pedestrians, cops, gang members, scripted enemies, ousted drivers all have different behaviours too.

It is probably worse inside the online mode. I usually play this. In Watchdogs 2 I could not find any differences in multiplayer.

Last edited:
Ghost Recon Wildands - some UHD nearly maxed out screenshots

In the maximum graphic settings Battlefield 1 looks bad in sections with a lot of vegetation compared to Wildlands, Wildlands acts like a next generation game in the maximum graphics. I could imagine that it runs on the standard PlayStation 4 in 720p. On the Pro I would recommend 1080 and 30fps.
It has God Rays and volumetric fog which are using some next generation ray marching tech which costs a lot. Indirect lighting (cloudy weather or night) looks much better than in The Division or Watchdogs 2. It uses Tesselation and POM in a massive scale.

So far I have not seen such a realistic looking video game. In motion it is very lively.

Wildlands BETA (1) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (10) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (13) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (18) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (22) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (23) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (27) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (34) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (38) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Wildlands BETA (41) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Last edited:
Ahah, so much buzz about those big AAA games while a simple hunting game takes the throne : :LOL:

32791207932_bb94af5206_o.jpg

(The Hunter : Call of the Wild)

The game is basically a walking simulator according to some players but these graphics...

Also, too bad that Battlefront can't compete in this category :

32203093690_46e1066418_o.jpg

Not sure if it's the vanilla version though and the resolution seems to be much higher than 4K.

Credit to Neogaf for the screenshots (PC thread).

Dang, that's impressive! Next version of the engine used for Just Cause series, apparently the first to use this new iteration 'Apex' engine.

Back