Xbox One Slim

The bigger question, I think, is whether it's still 2nd gen GCN (1.1) based, or is it 4th gen GCN / Polaris all the way. At least display controller and UVD should be from Polaris
If it's Polaris, it would be faster even at identical clocks [in many cases]

Memory compression.
Primitive discard accelerator.

Should offer perf at the same clock.

Memory compression.
Primitive discard accelerator.

Should offer perf at the same clock.
That's what I meant with "faster at identical clocks [in most scenarios]", and the other improvements obviously. But it could still be just 2nd gen GCN + UVD/VCE and display controller from Polaris, they are separate blocks after all

Looking at the fan on the XBoneS, it seems like it might be 12cm, same as the XBone.

With a voltage drop from 3 years of maturity, and a little more fan noise in game mode, could XBoneS still be on 28nm ....?

Didn't 20nm get scrubbed for anything other than mobile? AMD abandoned it for Jaguar and their low end APUs, so I've been assuming the 20nm console shrink got canned too.
It's still more likely that they did it for the console(s) at 20nm, that they'd do it on 16 or 14nm

It's still more likely that they did it for the console(s) at 20nm, that they'd do it on 16 or 14nm

Why? Cost per transistor on 20 nm is higher than for 28 nm, while not offering the power advantages that 14 nm does. AMD have skipped 20 nm entirely, for everything, in every market segment.

I don't think anyone has delivered a high performance part (such as the console APUs) on 20 nm. If 14 nm isn't cost effective then I suspect they'd rather stay on 28.

Just noticed that Amazon is now listing an Aug 31 release date as is the MS store.

1TB and 500GB are listed as "December 2016".

What a bummer, we are not talking about a new soc for those skus, it´s a frigging change in HDD.
No wonder that Ms is pounded hard this gen, they don´t even want to compete

What a bummer, we are not talking about a new soc for those skus, it´s a frigging change in HDD.
No wonder that Ms is pounded hard this gen, they don´t even want to compete

Don't see the problem , they are ramping up production on new hardware , of course they will want to sell the premium sku instead of the cheaper ones.

Don't see the problem , they are ramping up production on new hardware , of course they will want to sell the premium sku instead of the cheaper ones.

My feeling as well, if you are dying to get the XB1S, pay the premium and get the bigger HDD. I doubt they will sell out of the 2B version, they'll just be swapping out the drives.

f 14 nm isn't cost effective then I suspect they'd rather stay on 28.

Seems rather un-PR-like for them to not mention anything about power consumption or chip process if it really was a new node. As many individuals have noted, Xbox One is rather gigantic, the PCB is not well optimized for area & the whole box already consumes less active power than the other console.

Maybe Xbox One S is more like an onion. shrek.png

Last edited:
Seems rather un-PR-like for them to not mention anything about power consumption or chip process if it really was a new node. As many individuals have noted, Xbox One is rather gigantic, the PCB is not well optimized for area & the whole box already consumes less active power than the other console.

Maybe Xbox One S is more like an onion.

smelly and makes you cry ?>

My feeling as well, if you are dying to get the XB1S, pay the premium and get the bigger HDD. I doubt they will sell out of the 2B version, they'll just be swapping out the drives.

Personally I don't use the internal drive outside a few games that I've been playing lately. I rather store everything on an external drive that way if the xbox goes down my games won't go down with it. And I won't be forced to redownload everything.

If its not a new SOC then why is HDR10 support limited to the Slim and Scorpio?

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant.
The difference between XBO Slim skus it´s just the Hard drive, why artificially limit the offer to the premium sku??

Ms needed a refresh, as cheap as possible.
a 299$ UHD 4k player was seen as a bargain, at 400€ it´s not.

Well, there should be loads of Ones into the channel...

Back