Xbox One Slim

Adding 4K bluray is not a big cost:
- Drive is physically the same, new firmware for 3-layer focusing, and new digital processing code for i-MLSE (33GB/layer)
- Licencing to the bluray group for UHD playback (was $9 for normal bluray, this should be only a few dollars more)

I think the decision it´s clear, redesign the box to be more gaming friendly (smaller, sleeker, psu integrated) and with the new media capabilities make it more desirable. the other reason it´s to cheap the BOM.

Yes the new pricing it´s a bit odd, I hoped for a cheaper price of entry, but they have to clear inventory of the old model. I expect around Black friday and Holidays discounts, with bundles, etc.

If it´s a 14nm soc, they have some room there.

About upspeccing the OneS, Why?? That is what Scorpio´s all about.
Let´s be clear here, when P.Spencer talked about he wasn´t fond of incremental updates, it wasn´t for the sake of it.
They know that the One its really underpowered, and a minor update just to be on par with PS4, soon to be the Neo, was not going to cut it. Too much work for little benefit.

I see the exact opposite. Virtually no work and massive benefit to have 1080P for all games. That makes the S a viable low-end option for the next 4-5 years.

- Licencing to the bluray group for UHD playback (was $9 for normal bluray, this should be only a few dollars more)

Is the bluray group charging more for UHD playback on blurays?
One would think they should avoid demanding more money from what it seems to be an ever decreasing market.

Is the bluray group charging more for UHD playback on blurays?

Unless JCT-VC, the organisation responsible for HEVC, the underlying codec for Blu-ray 4K and 8K are giving their shit away for free (yeah, right!), then they have too.

Adding 4K bluray is not a big cost:
- Drive is physically the same, new firmware for 3-layer focusing, and new digital processing code for i-MLSE (33GB/layer)
The licensing won't be paid unless the user installs the bluray app, if its handled how the original xbox one dealt with it.

I know that a node shrink is not something a company talks about to consumers. But if the One S was manufactured on 20 nm or 14 nm, wouldnt MS atleast mention that it runs cooler or draws less power? If its not a node shrink then they must have overenginereed the hell out of the first Xbox One to now making it 40% smaller while using the same chip and parts

I know that a node shrink is not something a company talks about to consumers. But if the One S was manufactured on 20 nm or 14 nm, wouldnt MS atleast mention that it runs cooler or draws less power? If its not a node shrink then they must have overenginereed the hell out of the first Xbox One to now making it 40% smaller while using the same chip and parts
Or node shrink crammed into a 40% less volumn of space and internal powersupply equals not able to run cooler but able to run at same temp and noise ranges.

The interesting thing is that One S is about the size of the PS4 (right?) so MS could still fit a 28nm component into that box without a shrink. They could have used a newer and improved 28nm process (like HPC+) to gain some power reduction (they were lower than PS4 already).

Hugely wasted opportunity to not have beefed up the S to around PS4 level if the chips are 14nm Finfet.

Overclock CPU to 2.1 ghz.
Overclock GPU to 1266 mhz.
DDR4 with 80 GB /S.

Hugely wasted opportunity to not have beefed up the S to around PS4 level if the chips are 14nm Finfet.

DDR4 with 80 GB /S.
Those are insane clocks. Is it even possible to reach this with sufficient yield for 299? It's a custom SoC. They have to throw away any part that don't pass. The heat management would also be much more expensive for power density alone, and the power supply bigger.

Why do you think the xb1 overclock was only a few percent? Why is the PS4 at such a low 800?

Look at the underside of the XB1 SoC, there is a huge array of caps, it looks like it already had some unknown power stability issues.

Those are insane clocks. Is it even possible to reach this with sufficient yield for 299? It's a custom SoC. They have to throw away any part that don't pass. The heat management would also be much more expensive for power density alone, and the power supply bigger.

Why do you think the xb1 overclock was only a few percent? Why is the PS4 at such a low 800?

Doesn't finfet allow for higher clocks? In addition, Polaris has 14 - 16 CU at similar clock rates. TDP under 50w.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that One S is about the size of the PS4 (right?) so MS could still fit a 28nm component into that box without a shrink. They could have used a newer and improved 28nm process (like HPC+) to gain some power reduction (they were lower than PS4 already).

Actually i just remembered forum member mosen found a linkedin profile a few years back of an AMD engineers resume on linkedin

"Successfully planned and executed the first APU for Microsoft’s XBOX One game console in 28nm technology and a cost-reduced derivative in 20nm technology"

DDR4 with 80 GB /S.

Their goal is to get the rpice low to get you in their eco system. Keeping it the same as it was will allow them to use even more of the dies made and decrease the price further. Scorpio wont be more than $500 . So the xbox one s has to be at least half that if not less. $200-$250 by next fall is my guess

We have no idea how much more powerful it is over an Xbox one, it may be very marginal to ensure even worse case is equal or it may be more.

They have form in magically discovering performance, ESRAM bandwidth more than doubled after the upclock and discovery of concurrent read / write.

We have no idea how much more powerful it is over an Xbox one, it may be very marginal to ensure even worse case is equal or it may be more.

They have form in magically discovering performance, ESRAM bandwidth more than doubled after the upclock and discovery of concurrent read / write.
The bigger question, I think, is whether it's still 2nd gen GCN (1.1) based, or is it 4th gen GCN / Polaris all the way. At least display controller and UVD should be from Polaris
If it's Polaris, it would be faster even at identical clocks [in many cases]

Back