Valve's future console plans

tuna

Veteran

So I was sitting in an aircraft with nothing to do, and I started thinking about the future of console gaming and I think Valve has the opportunity to achieve what MS have wanted since the launch of Xbox.

Steamdeck has been a success and devs and publishers seem to make sure that games work well on that device and the SteamOS+Proton combo. It is also an extension of the Steam eco-system and a future competitor to portable game consoles like Switch.

So Valve is most probably currently planning to enter the stationary console space with Steambox 2.0. They would have to do very little work to get the UX to feel good as a console and it would probably be a market equal market to the portable console market.

But the best thing (from Valve's perspective) is that moving forward, Valve does not have to be involved in hardware production and distribution. Instead Valve can just certify any manufacturers devices (which just require that drivers are available in mainline Linux) and then allow manufacturers to install SteamOS and slap on a sticker saying "Certified for Steam!".

It does not matter (from Valve's perspective) that you can use the devices for a lot of other stuff than Steam because >90 % of all usage will probably be Steam gaming and almost every use will buy games from Steam.

I think this will be a pretty big success and a big competitor to MS (and to a smaller extent Sony). It will also solidify Valve's standing in the PC gaming space even more. If only I could buy some Valve stock....

"Certified for Steam!".
What would this even mean?
That you can install steam launcher on it, or linux?
Basically like any pc out there.
I true fully can't see much benefit for valve or users in them doing any of this to be honest.

A custom made Linux distro would make more sense to me though.

OK, why not?
The entire thing is too much work for a complete lack of return on investment. They don't need to do anything at all to still get their cut of third party games sales. If they try to push their own OS harder then they have to step-up a lot more to direct the foundational things like new GPU API expansions on Vulkan etc. They can't be a follower they need to be a leader in those area.

SteamOS is the platform. Whatever form factors that takes will depend on where the markets are.

Right now Valve has their console/portable device with the Steam Deck. In the future, when SteamOS gains broader support for desktop PCs, we could see all types of form factors.

Whether or not Valve decide to make a console style form factor device wont change the fact that it's basically just a PC though lol

Valve were rumoured to be releasing a Steambox 2 of sorts alongside the Index. A mystery SFF case does appear in the background during The Final Hours of Half Life Alyx.

Valve obviously didn't do that with the Index, and Steambox 2 morphed into the Steamdeck. Their next HMD is due soonish. Maybe that's the time to release a box that can function as a console and a VR base station.

It does need a Value to open the orderbook on a gaming APU. The off the shelf stuff doesn't cut the mustard on CU counts.

So I was sitting in an aircraft with nothing to do, and I started thinking about the future of console gaming and I think Valve has the opportunity to achieve what MS have wanted since the launch of Xbox.

Steamdeck has been a success and devs and publishers seem to make sure that games work well on that device and the SteamOS+Proton combo. It is also an extension of the Steam eco-system and a future competitor to portable game consoles like Switch.

So Valve is most probably currently planning to enter the stationary console space with Steambox 2.0. They would have to do very little work to get the UX to feel good as a console and it would probably be a market equal market to the portable console market.

But the best thing (from Valve's perspective) is that moving forward, Valve does not have to be involved in hardware production and distribution. Instead Valve can just certify any manufacturers devices (which just require that drivers are available in mainline Linux) and then allow manufacturers to install SteamOS and slap on a sticker saying "Certified for Steam!".

It does not matter (from Valve's perspective) that you can use the devices for a lot of other stuff than Steam because >90 % of all usage will probably be Steam gaming and almost every use will buy games from Steam.

I think this will be a pretty big success and a big competitor to MS (and to a smaller extent Sony). It will also solidify Valve's standing in the PC gaming space even more. If only I could buy some Valve stock....
Why would Steam want to reinvent the wheel? They get a cut off every sale from their store which dominates the PC market. There are 10s of millions of PC which are virtually Steam consoles.

SteamOS/Proton is needed and works for Steam Deck because it removes Microsoft from the equation. It’s a portable handheld meant for gaming so having none of the non-gaming functionality that Windows offers doesn’t matter.

Compatibility certification doesn’t offer hardware subsidization in return for software licensing that makes consoles price attractive. So who wants to pay hundreds to thousands for a desktop that only plays games when they can pay the same for a desktop that plays the same games but offers all the utility that a window device offers?

Last edited:
The entire thing is too much work for a complete lack of return on investment. They don't need to do anything at all to still get their cut of third party games sales.

They already have to do all the work for SteamDeck/SteamOS. This is about expanding the market so that less technically competent people can buy into (or expand their use of) the Steam platform. Basically, get people like me to buy their games on Steam instead of PSN/Xbox.

Why would Steam want to reinvent the wheel? They get a cut off every sale from their store which dominates the PC market. There are 10s of millions of PC which are virtually Steam consoles.

Valve has already reinvented the wheel with SteamDeck/SteamOS. This is about expanding the market (there are 100s of million game consoles).

SteamOS/Proton is needed and works for Steam Deck because it removes Microsoft from the equation. It’s a portable handheld meant for gaming so having none of the non-gaming functionality that Windows offers doesn’t matter.

Yes, this gives Valve a platform they control for a very cheap price. It also makes Steam more attractive for PC gamers as you can run the games you buy there on more devices/places (compared to EGS etc).

Also, for a console you don't need (or even want) Windows functionality. Of course, these future consoles should be as open as current Steam deck so you can run whatever SW you want on them.

Compatibility certification doesn’t offer hardware subsidization in return for software licensing that makes consoles price attractive. So who wants to pay hundreds to thousands for a desktop that only plays games when they can pay the same for a desktop that plays the same games but offers all the utility that a window device offers?

For the same reason people use consoles, it is a different user experience.

What would this even mean?
That you can install steam launcher on it, or linux?
Basically like any pc out there.

A "Steam box" (from any manufacturer) would of course be pre-loaded with SteamOS. Most people are not competent enough to install their own OS on any device (and even if you are most don't like the hassle).

I love the idea and steam deck's success could be a trojan horse for something new that could be console like in it's form. They have the os and they have to work on it already, but they would have to be "very agressive" with the price/performance ratio of the hardware, like Gabe said about steam deck.

It is happening as we speak - steam deck is everything they needed. Same platform, different form factors and concurent prices I hope. Any modern small form factor pc (something like mac studio would be perfect) could be Valves console, or just a pc with interface that is actually usable on tvs.

Yes, big picture exists, but it's lacking and complete hassle of connecting a pc to tv if they aren't close to each other is good enough reason for valve console to exist. And again, they have to do very little on their own.

Valve has already reinvented the wheel with SteamDeck/SteamOS. This is about expanding the market (there are 100s of million game consoles).

No they created a viable portable handheld for PC gaming.

They don’t need to create PC consoles because they already have the space. You basically espousing they recreate what they already have in the PC space with console trappings. For what?

They have millions of users without the cost of investment and maintenance in hardware, apis, quality control/assurance, patent licenses and a whole host of other costs that console manufacturers deal with. All while getting console like software cuts from the sale of titles on their platform.

Steamdeck gives them hardware profits but they are competing in a market (portable handhelds for PC gaming) filled with bit players outside of themselves. Steamdeck was a pivot from just SteamOS, which was hardly a success. Instead of “Play your PC games on a console like device!”, it became “Play your PC games on a portable handheld device!”

Console warring is another thing all together. And you never know how MS may respond to such competition. Consoles is a competitive space with a number of players so it would hard to argue that an approach by MS to actively and aggressively break compatibility on the DX side with Proton as anti-competitive.

Last edited:
No they created a viable portable handheld for PC gaming.

They don’t need to create PC consoles because they already have the space. You basically espousing they recreate what they already have in the PC space with console trappings. For what?

They have millions of users without the cost of investment and maintenance in hardware, apis, quality control/assurance, patent licenses and a whole host of other costs that console manufacturers deal with. All while getting console like software cuts from the sale of titles on their platform.

As long as they support the Steam Deck they will have to do all of the above. A lot of people don't like the PC form factor. If Valve could get them to buy games on Steam instead of PSN or XBox they will make a lot more money and make Steam an even bigger platform.

Console warring is another thing all together. And you never know how MS may respond to such competition. Consoles is a competitive space with a number of players so it would hard to argue that an approach by MS to actively and aggressively break compatibility on the DX side with Proton as anti-competitive.

If I was Phil Spencer I would really think about how I would avoid being Nokiad. Microsoft is kind of boxed in inside their platform while Valve has a unique opportunity to expand theirs.

I think it's easy to forget that the hardware side of PC gaming is an increasingly expensive hobby. As a problem Valve's customers (and potential customers) have, it seems to me like a worthwhile problem to solve with a Steambox.

Or MS to solve by allowing a Windows option on the Series consoles. 🙂

Back