Xbox DRM and Physical Media: How does it affect the Series consoles?

Dr. Nick

Veteran
I've thought about this for a while now. It made sense for Smart Delivery to have the Xbox One version of the game on disk at launch, but going forward, the Series version should be the one on the disk, and the one downloaded should be the Xbox One version. I think Microsoft's first and second-party studios should start doing that by this fall. I don't want to say that they should require 3rd parties to do the same, but that should be where things are headed. While I do believe cross-gen is likely to last well into 2025, the Series consoles should be the priority by now.

Last edited:
So if I got this right any( edit: correction, almost every) game you buy on XBOX that is Cross Gen, you are actually buying the One version and the Series patch is downloaded on top by default?
On PS5 at least this is the case only if you buy the PS4 version of a cross gen game which then has PS5 patch available, otherwise a PS5 version is just the PS5 version

Last edited:
Something I am not sure if I got correctly, if your smart delivery game is checked once and gets its Series X patch, it still wants you to be signed in online?

So if I got this right any( edit: correction, almost every) game you buy on XBOX that is Cross Gen, you are actually buying the One version and the Series patch is downloaded on top by default?
On PS5 at least this is the case only if you buy the PS4 version of a cross gen game which then has PS5 patch available, otherwise a PS5 version is just the PS5 version

from the video, it seems its the effect of microsft being too lax in their rules for smart delivery. as baland is a crossgen game, but have XS version on disc (maybe X1 version on internet?)

Something I am not sure if I got correctly, if your smart delivery game is checked once and gets its Series X patch, it still wants you to be signed in online?

the video didnt check that, unfortunately :(

but the disc should act as the license check. and you can use any disc, in the case of multi-disc games.

It's up to the developer and publisher what they put on the disc. I believe the DMC5 disc had everything included on the disc where it could be installed entirely offline and be playable on any Xbox console.

I wonder what MS's ultimate plan is to phase out physical media. The low end is already discless. Do you think the series X replacement (be it mid gen or next gen) will also ditch the bluray drive ? Will MS create a Bluray add on going forward into the future where if you want to play your old disc games you have to purchase that to plug into the xbox ?

I wonder what MS's ultimate plan is to phase out physical media. The low end is already discless. Do you think the series X replacement (be it mid gen or next gen) will also ditch the bluray drive ? Will MS create a Bluray add on going forward into the future where if you want to play your old disc games you have to purchase that to plug into the xbox ?

That would be the wise move but I don't know if the consumers are ready for it. Despite offering an addon for it I'm sure it'll become console-war fodder on the social media sites.

That would be the wise move but I don't know if the consumers are ready for it. Despite offering an addon for it I'm sure it'll become console-war fodder on the social media sites.

I think sony is in the same spot however but maybe a generation behind. Last gen part of the way through MS added a discless xbox one. This generation at the start sony added a discless ps5. I honestly think going forward that Blurray drive is going to become an issue for both of them. It's a lot of dead space in the consoles
1654623452411.png

These drives are already as small as they can be and I think the xbox series console could have been much smaller without that drive. You can see how much room it takes up. The ps5 is a different story. But I think as the micron drops continue to slow down these consoles are going to need to use more power hungry SOC and that drive space could be used for larger coolers.

Patent from a few weeks ago.
A possible path for future devices or we might see it used this generation...kind of like a beta for the next generation.
It's interesting for sure but I can't imagine 3rd parties being super happy if someone can just buy a $2 or $3 copy of their game used some where and send it in for a digital copy. It will be interesting what will happen. I'm guessing microsoft would collect the discs and destroy them?

Conspiracy theory here: What if, all of those years ago when Microsoft talked about doing something similar, they added a unique key to each disc. This would have allowed them to implement something like this later when the time was right. /Conspiracy theory

To be serious, in this patent looks like you might need to keep an extra Xbox one or Xbox series X around to continue accomplishing this. Without a unique key, I don't see how it would not be exploited. I wouldn't say I like this because I put my Xbox One in storage and may give it to charity. The great thing about BC at the level of Xbox One to Xbox Series and PS4 to PS5 is that it makes the old consoles redundant. I hardly have a reason to keep mine around anymore.

Conspiracy theory here: What if, all of those years ago when Microsoft talked about doing something similar, they added a unique key to each disc. This would have allowed them to implement something like this later when the time was right. /Conspiracy theory

To be serious, in this patent looks like you might need to keep an extra Xbox one or Xbox series X around to continue accomplishing this. Without a unique key, I don't see how it would not be exploited. I wouldn't say I like this because I put my Xbox One in storage and may give it to charity. The great thing about BC at the level of Xbox One to Xbox Series and PS4 to PS5 is that it makes the old consoles redundant. I hardly have a reason to keep mine around anymore.
I mean even with a unique key once its registered to an account what happens if that person sells it. Then you have a person with a non working disc ?

I'd think the only way this would work is if you send your game copies to Microsoft who then issue a digital version to your account. Then microsoft melts the disc.

Back