Xbox One Slim

Decoding with cpu is super heavy. With how slow xbox cpu is, they probably use gpu.
And yet libavcodec is said to be faster than current OpenCL and CUDA decoders (obviously assuming no quality loss, some OpenCL/CUDA decoders sacrifice quality for speed)

I'm not sure why people seem hellbent on it being identical with Xbox One SoC, when there's clear signs it's not.

And yet libavcodec is said to be faster than current OpenCL and CUDA decoders (obviously assuming no quality loss, some OpenCL/CUDA decoders sacrifice quality for speed)

I'm not sure why people seem hellbent on it being identical with Xbox One SoC, when there's clear signs it's not.

hmm, im still using LAV codec and it took around 20% of my CPU with "none" acceleration. and only 5-10% with "DXVA2 Native". Have not tried libavcodec with ffmpeg due to im too afraid of borking the whole codec settings (currently everything, including old and trusty WMP can use LAV and can read OGG files).

the weird thing is, when im using LAV with Intel Quick Sync. It have the same CPU usage as "none" :/

I think it would be a mistake not having hardware hevc decoding and encoding, as I believe it is what they should move to for their streaming and recording codec.
doing that on cpu or gpu while playing a game would be a mistake.

hmm, im still using LAV codec and it took around 20% of my CPU with "none" acceleration. and only 5-10% with "DXVA2 Native". Have not tried libavcodec with ffmpeg due to im too afraid of borking the whole codec settings (currently everything, including old and trusty WMP can use LAV and can read OGG files).

the weird thing is, when im using LAV with Intel Quick Sync. It have the same CPU usage as "none" :/
For decoding high bitrate HEVC (H.265)? Which CPU are you using?

edit: for claritys sake, the HEVCBenchmark uses videos filling HEVC Main 10, Level 5, Main Tier specs

edit2:
version 1.61: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8329B08E8413A80E!478&authkey=!AN817fyIH7zpru4&ithint=file,zip
UHD Bluray plugin: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8329B08E8413A80E!474&authkey=!AGV83F55agAjLTg&ithint=file,zip

Last edited:

Are you testing with internet encoded HEVC 4K content (low bitrate) or UHD BluRay HEVC 4K content (high bitrate)?

Regards,
SB

It's streaming hevc.

Just tried 4k 250mbps hevc and it freeze my pc. It even take a few seconds for alt f4 to register

So is there any better compression than h.265 ? I know they are working on better ones , but is there any that is viable for MS or Sony to implement now for game streaming ?

UHD bluray is 108Mbps, netflix is 16Mbps.

Also all streaming audio formats are crap if you have a high end sound system, compared to lossless formats on bluray, and dolby atmos on UHD blurays.

It's really that high? :oops:

So is there any better compression than h.265 ? I know they are working on better ones , but is there any that is viable for MS or Sony to implement now for game streaming ?
One could argue VP9 is better, other that H.265 is better, they're in similar ballpark anyway.

s=

Also all streaming audio formats are crap if you have a high end sound system, compared to lossless formats on bluray, and dolby atmos on UHD blurays.

That's technically true. But the reality is that the vast majority of people either can't tell the difference between a 128 bit encoded MP3 and a 256 bit encoded MP3 or struggle to identify which is which. And when it comes to 256 bit encoding or 320 bit encoding, it's very rare to find a person that can tell the difference between that and the uncompressed source even on the best hardware that money can buy.

I love having recordings in FLAC, but it's basically just a placebo for me and anyone I've invited over. If I randomly mix in 320 bit MP3s in an album, there hasn't been a single person that has been able to distinguish which is the FLAC and which is the 320 bit MP3. Back in the mid 2000's I did the same test with uncompressed WAVs and 320 bit MP3s with the same results.

Regards,
SB

Yeah. Those big files doesn't gave substantial difference with much smaller files.

But some people swears by it.

I guess my eyes and ears is too Nirmal :(

Luckily this means I can enjoy stuff without hassle (can stream, etc).

Heck, I often steam via Bluetooth 2.0 to my home theater. It's an old one, with no AptX support.

I still believe this will be the final form of the xbox one. It may take until 7nm however.

Just to be clear, you're saying you think Microsoft will shrink to XBox One to this size???

package_575px.JPG

Back