Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, theme is pure trash. Me too got the Digital Deluxe and that too effectively at the price of the main game thanx to cheap PSN cards :D ! ! ! ! Oh boy this is going to be such a change from the Dark SOuls 3 I am nose deep in right now !

heh! PSN card here is around 10-25% premium! yeeesh! luckily the digital price itself around 10-20 dollars cheaper than physical. Thanks Sony!!! Its only you that release game at cheap price!

btw the trash theme. Does the in-game Uncharted 4 will have that level playable? Has its been shown in any trailer?

Lord almighty:oops:
mHaRcJk.png

The lighting and PBR are crazy, also the subtle SSS on Drake's ear makes it so natural.

I agree. Actually, it's probably the best lighting i've seen in a game. I mean, their lighting tech is certainly not the most dynamic one but it simply looks amazing in actual footage and that's what matters the most.

Also, the lighting looks more natural outside of Madagascar because there is not a very intense red ground :)

not only did they went to town with the amount of details, all the assets are drenched in beautiful lighting, shaders, all kinds of volumetrics, excellent shadow LOD and a pristine iq to boot. I got a feeling this is the main money shot of this game.

And all of that with probably the most complex gameplay sequences ever created in a video game :

We had the moving levels in God of War, now we have this :)

Last edited:
Real-time graphics (and console real-time graphics in particular) is all about priorities, what does the game need? What serves the gameplay right? How much GPU/CPU resources can we allocate on "x" feature? And then you have time and budget constraints on top of this. Talent can definitely help, but this is why no game will ever be perfect in every way technically, everything it does it's done for a purpose, to serve this specific vision of the game. You can even see that in CG, for example WDS had to create a real-time solution for artists to be able to see the fur in Zootopia on the characters, and the whole system took months to create and was very complicated. But they did this because the movie clearly needed fur to be properly rendered and the artists had to see the fur when animating, the movie is full of animals :p

I'm sure ND had to sacrifice a lot to get U4 running like that, but i also think that they were very smart about the sacrifices they've done because the end result looks absolutely stunning.

Oh and also multiplayer info!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/02/uncharted-4-multiplayer-guide-2/

26669528242_bb21b0b01a_b.jpg

26669525222_2f88db537b_b.jpg

26157463154_29afac49f6_b.jpg

New maps for free, now that's nice :)

Last edited:
Now that is something

Taking the Driveclub/The Order photomode options a step further...

I just love ND's rendering principle in general, it seems like they don't overlook anything while making very smart compromise in order to deliver what looks to me like one of the most balanced final output. And balance in itself is a highly difficult technical achievement. People tend to confuse not pushing the absolute most advanced lighting or technique is not pushing the envelope of technology, yet totally neglect the immense sacrifice such one sided bias would result. What good is voxel GI if everything else is low res? What good is gigatons of polys if your lighting and shaders are next to non existent? I understand some game does require more emphasizes on a specific area or two, but the skill lies at how you can maintain a well balanced visual presentation for the rest of the package. Far too often I see games with a very prominent graphical feature yet utterly fails in many other areas if not all. UC4 and a few other games to me looked unbelievably balanced and consistent yet at the same time still delivering a kitchen sink of high end techniques such as volumetric lighting, volumetric shadow, volumetric fog, advanced shaders, SSS, muscle sim, all kinds of motion blur, Bokeh DOF, excellent models, large and dense play areas, high res textures everywhere while maintaining 1080p. Whether they achieved this via hard work, budget, staff quantity, talent or whatever is another thing but hell they've got a damn good engine recipe that's for sure.

The engine is amazingly cpu efficient for what it does so that definitely helps, afaik they haven't explained what they are doing on the gpu side of things other than using compute for pretty much everything possible (even some A.I. pathing).

I just love ND's rendering principle in general, it seems like they don't overlook anything while making very smart compromise in order to deliver what looks to me like one of the most balanced final output. And balance in itself is a highly difficult technical achievement. People tend to confuse not pushing the absolute most advanced lighting or technique is not pushing the envelope of technology, yet totally neglect the immense sacrifice such one sided bias would result. What good is voxel GI if everything else is low res? What good is gigatons of polys if your lighting and shaders are next to non existent? I understand some game does require more emphasizes on a specific area or two, but the skill lies at how you can maintain a well balanced visual presentation for the rest of the package. Far too often I see games with a very prominent graphical feature yet utterly fails in many other areas if not all. UC4 and a few other games to me looked unbelievably balanced and consistent yet at the same time still delivering a kitchen sink of high end techniques such as volumetric lighting, volumetric shadow, volumetric fog, advanced shaders, SSS, muscle sim, all kinds of motion blur, Bokeh DOF, excellent models, large and dense play areas, high res textures everywhere while maintaining 1080p. Whether they achieved this via hard work, budget, staff quantity, talent or whatever is another thing but hell they've got a damn good engine recipe that's for sure.

The counterexample being FF15...

Also look at 15 minutes into this video (environment spoilers for those on blackout)

No screen space reflections? Halle-fkin-lujah :yes:

Look at 15:15 how the rock exits screen space but the reflection remains.

Weird to compare an open world game that's not even out yet.

It's not weird, from what we've seen so far it's by far the most visually inconsistent title out there, both in terms of performance and in terms of looks (can look absolutely amazing one time and like a last gen title the next). I think people have negative views towards FFXV because of all the delays and that it's been almost 10 years since the official reveal. Of course, I do hope they sort this out but I wouldn't bet on it from what we've seen in the multiple playable demos. Would love to be wrong though.

Also look at 15 minutes into this video (environment spoilers for those on blackout)

No screen space reflections? Halle-fkin-lujah :yes:

Look at 15:15 how the rock exits screen space but the reflection remains.
Is it not cubemap? Otherwise what are you suggesting:D

We don't have the game to check yet, all i'm saying is that i'm happy they didn't use ssr there as it would pretty much break everywhere (top to bottom) and creates a very inconsistent output, at least if you have a trained eye for that sort of stuff. It was Driveclub for me, the game that made me notice ssr more and more to the point where i was annoyed by the visible artifacts from the reflections lol :D

What kind of PBR do they use in UC4?

Last time they said anything official about shading
Using Disney Diffuse Model, recreated Brdf model just for the fabric, also added special cheap Sub-surface Scatter.

All the fabric details, stitches, small wrinkles, wear and tears were built in shader.

And
Using Disney Diffuse model, GGX Brdf model and Screen Space Subsurface.

Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Poqmn

That was a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back