Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scale of the games aren't even on the same level. You do realize Duscae was released as a vertical slice to gather feedback right? It wasn't supposed to be representative of the final graphics and performance, neither is Platinum.

If the game is too long and then released in an unfinished state, then it's a wrong design decision. It doesn't matter what they are trying to do... people will judge them on the final product and not on their ambitions.

ND had to make some hard choices too : "Games are a very iterative process, and the same thing can be said for pretty much every game that comes out. There was a huge setpiece in Uncharted 4 that I was massively in love with, that had to get cut. Because it was either the game shipped broken and that scene is in there, or we put out a better game and that scene isn’t there."

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=26394

Keep in mind that their demos have severe graphical and performances issues while most of other demos mainly have performances issues.

Disney has some of the best researchers in the offline CG world, and ever since they've bought Lucasfilm, they're also working very closely with ILM. Most of the facial capture stuff used on SWVII for example comes from Disney.

Just because they happen to make stylized animated features doesn't mean that all their research is limited in its uses for those kinds of productions.

You tell me. It just looks different, more cartoony, I mean, Disney?
https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.com/library/s2012_pbs_disney_brdf_notes_v2.pdf

U4 looks a bit cartoony because the artists styled it like that, not because of the choice of BRDF. UE4's lighting model used Disney as a starting point for specular, for instance.

The diffuse component of Disney BRDF is an empirical model designed to fit reasonably well to measured MERL data, and can produce results matching the real world more closely than the vintage Lambert diffuse model that still gets used in a lot of games (including The Order 1886, incidentally).

https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.com/library/s2012_pbs_disney_brdf_notes_v2.pdf

U4 looks a bit cartoony because the artists styled it like that, not because of the choice of BRDF. UE4's lighting model used Disney as a starting point for specular, for instance.

The diffuse component of Disney BRDF is an empirical model designed to fit reasonably well to measured MERL data, and can produce results matching the real world more closely than the vintage Lambert diffuse model that still gets used in a lot of games (including The Order 1886, incidentally).

Disney BRDF is used in Battlefront too

Aha! Found the part i was talking about in better quality, it's all in Russian so you don't get spoiled in dialogue (except if you know Russian :p) and it's just visual spoilers very early on

I haven't seen any other game doing what's happening at 2:06 and onward, although I may be forgetting something so feel free to correct me!

The biggest difference between UC4 materials and Star Wars Battlefront marerials or The Order1886 ones is an artistic choice...

Photogrammetry(SW) and Scan made material(TO 1886) against partial hand made texture/material(UC4...)...

Why are people, some who seem really into the franchise, watching spoiler material? Why spoil the game for yourself. I just don't get it. It's out next week.

Except for the trailers, I'm going into this blind. I want to be dazzled when I see things for the first time.

Why are people, some who seem really into the franchise, watching spoiler material? Why spoil the game for yourself. I just don't get it. It's out next week.

Except for the trailers, I'm going into this blind. I want to be dazzled when I see things for the first time.

Because I don't really care about environment spoilers, especially early in the game. Judging from the length this could anywhere from 10-18 hours long. I've seen the first 10 minutes and some environments but I'm pretty sure i haven't seen much at all :D

But hey, that's me, i also got myself spoiled on TFA and Fallout 4 before release :|

If you want completely spoiler free impression, I'll just say this, whatever I've seen from the game has only made me more excited instead of the opposite, i just love the direction they are going with this. It could be easily better than TLOU if the story holds up, easily. And TLOU has to be my favorite game last gen. With Halo 3, Dark Souls, RDR, Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted 2 following up.

Last edited:
Plus, it's incredibly hard to not watch anything with such glowing impressions from people playing/finishing the game. I mean, we have people questioning whether they want to score this a 10 out of 10 or 11.

And also that he is working on a lengthy video for DF but that is to be expected.

the awesomeness omg! i'd even argue these leaks benefits ND. it really increase the hype. Especially these crazy awesome screenshots and video clips! thanks @Clukos !
it will be a total tease if i suddenly got a job when U4 got released in these few days...

btw reviews are coming before release or after release?

Reviews are coming in less than two days, May 5th 12am PT time

Edit:
t1462431600z0.png

Vague (if you can call it that) impressions from a reviewer
https://twitter.com/BigManFanelli/status/726415313508651008

Later on he says he completed Uncharted 4.

Last edited:

Are there any other games that use the Disney brdf standard besides uncharted 4 and sw: battlefront? This is very interesting to me, what are the benefits to using this brdf standard as opposed to the order 1886 one for example?

Why do people want tessellation and complex geometry on simple and flat rocks (although beautiful) ?

92-andringitra-park-the-tsaranoro-massif-a-rock-climbers-dream-we-ventured-into-the-nearby-forest-to-find-ring-tailed-lemurs.jpg

Actually, the representation of Madagascar in Uncharted 4 is pretty accurate.

a-climber-on-a-very-difficult-route-on-the-cliffs-of-the-tsaranoro-BG46GF.jpg

Last edited:
Many years ago I had geology as a part of my study. I could determine a few rocks in Battlefront because of their accuracy. Compared to Battlefront the rocks I have seen so far in Uncharted are not good.

Rocks/cobblee (often also inside conglomerates) etc. are rounded during transport by water, glaciers etc. The granite in this two pictures is not rounded. Breaks are clearly visible. A smooth surface would be harder to climb. A sedimentary rock like a limestone would be usually more angular. But I am no expert in geology and climbing. Anyway, I had about a hundred different rock types in my hands and Battlefront is by far the most realistic game in texture, surface, material and geometry quality here.

EDIT:
Therefore, I like to look more closely at rocks in video games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back