Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

What am I looking at? I'm not seeing it.

We're talking about Global Illumination (GI) in Just Cause 3. The PC and Xbox One version have it. And even though Digital Foundry said all versions would have Global Illumination, the PS4 version apparently does not have Global Illumination at all.

If you don't know what Global Illumination is, you might want to look it up, then you should be able to tell the difference in the screenshots.

Anyway, some hints regarding the screenshots mentioned above:

For example:

In screenshot 002, look at Rico's trousers and the white barrels in the lower right corner.
In screenshot 005, look at Rico's trousers and jacket and the front of the helicopter.
In screenshot 009, look at Rico's trousers and jacket and the wall of the house on the left side.

As you can clearly see from those examples, Global Illumination is enabled on PC and Xbox One, but not on PS4.

Again, that's just some examples, it's even more noticeable in other scenes and in motion.

I really don't understand why they disabled it on PS4, when it's enabled on Xbox One.

Also, them having disabled the heat haze on the console versions is a pity. The heat haze is only available on the PC version. It adds a lot more depth to the world. Surely it can't be that taxing performance wise, or can it? Why would they disable the heat haze on consoles?

Last edited:
Seems weird. I'd almost want to guess it's a bug on PS4. Quality control missed it or something.

I don't know how they could have missed that, it's quite obvious.

On the other hand though, even Digital Foundry completely missed it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-just-cause-3-face-off said:
[...] the use of global illumination are identical across all three formats [...]

:rolleyes:

Maybe they also simply forgot to enable the heat haze effect on the console versions?

That would be really sad. Because both global illumination as well as the heat haze effect make the game look so much better.

Now what would be the best way to make the devs aware of this and ask them to enable the heat haze effect on Xbox One and PS4 and enable global illumination on PS4?

Already PM'ed Humus, but he didn't answer yet.

Reposting here the lighting differences seen in Just Cause 3, thanks @user542745831 (dat username though :LOL:). But not sure which is the most accurate version...

zvZ9pw1.gif

NRyPmpc.gif

Yeah, the GI solution they are using doesn't seem to be active on the PS4 which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on taste because the GI destroys dark shaded areas with whatever color thats around the object. Jean shots for example have the dark creases of the jeans glowing with the ground color and it looks weird. Probably had to get rid of it to keep the 1080 resolution.

No, wrong! GI seems to be completely absent on PS4, see for yourself:
A wrong assertion. GI (secondary illumination) is clearly in effect on PS4 but different. Personally in the first image I prefer the PS4 results as more natural. The red and white barrel is practically glowing on the PC. Only the trousers look flatter on PS4.

Yeah, the GI solution they are using doesn't seem to be active on the PS4 which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on taste because the GI destroys dark shaded areas with whatever color thats around the object. Jean shots for example have the dark creases of the jeans glowing with the ground color and it looks weird. Probably had to get rid of it to keep the 1080 resolution.
But the PS4 version has a better framerate though, holding closer to 30fps than XB1. In busy scenes, PS4 often holds a ~3-9fps advantage. It's in scenes with CPU-driven physics where DF suspects it's a CPU bottleneck when both consoles dip similarly. But generally PS4 has a considerable advantage otherwise when the engine is stressed.

Last edited:
But the PS4 version has a better framerate though, holding closer to 30fps than XB1. In busy scenes, PS4 often holds a ~3-7fps advantage. It's in scenes with CPU-driven physics where DF suspects it's a CPU bottleneck when both consoles dip similarly. But generally PS4 has a considerable advantage otherwise when the engine is stressed.
We dont know how much the framerate would have dipped with GI though

Yeah but why would they enable it on XB1 if the framerate was far from ideal and considerably worse than PS4? And many of the scenes where the XB1 dips below 30fps, the PS4 version is locked, so who knows what the difference in framerate truly is in those scenes. It's most likely more than 3-9fps.

Plus Shifty feels there is GI on PS4, it's just different.

Last edited:
Yeah but why would they enable it on XB1 if the framerate was far from ideal and considerably worse than PS4? And many of the scenes where the XB1 dips below 30fps, the PS4 version is locked, so who knows what the difference in framerate truly is in those scenes. It's most likely more than 3-9fps.

Plus Shifty feels there is GI on PS4, it's just different.
They probably thought it was worth the keep on the XB1 for the frames it dropped. I mean...if the PS4 version dropped way too low and too often with GI and 1080p, like in the low 20s (hypothetical ugly scenario) with largely noticeable implications on the gameplay it is better to have it off.

But it's not off as Shifty pointed out.

All I'm saying it's not fair to say that they probably turned it off to hit a 1080p target when we don't know what exactly is going on.

There's secondary illumination in those screenshots. The nature of which (prebaked?) I don't know, and it could be there's a dynamic GI solution not present. My point is the assertion 'GI is completely absent' is wrong as secondary illumination is present. The differences need to be qualified such as 'PS4 is missing an additional dynamic GI pass' it this discussion is to have merit.

We should really be deferring to video.

Back