All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good riddance! That exclusive deal was the most illogical in recent times and no one is surprised to see it selling less than some people were hoping.

Poor Laura sent to die.

RotTR currently at #81 while FO4 is #6 (both XB1), same release date.

The DE on X1 sold less than on any singular platform (Ps4/PC/Ps3/X360) by a big margin, i am sure Sqe knew what they were doing, and probably got a load of cash in order to secure the deal in the first place.

It's not them that they have to worry but MS who made that deal in order to go head to head with Uncharted (original release date was probably around this time) or to move consoles in general. I am sure there're quite a few people who bought an X1 just for TR but probably not enough to justify the deal.
Good riddance! That exclusive deal was the most illogical in recent times and no one is surprised to see it selling less than some people were hoping.

That deal is many things but it's not illogical.

MS: "We want an Uncharted, can't make it in time to hit 2015 in a first party studio so what's the next best thing? Tomb Raider!"

*MS giving cash to SQE*

CD: "We love Xbox! We always wanted to be a timed exclusive and ditch most of our customers! T-totally h-heh..."

ND delaying Uncharted for 2016 must have been the most awkward thing for this whole Tomb Raider deal :smile:

Last edited:
Although Tomb Raider is an established IP... I belive word of mouth will jump start any slow pre-orders (sales) jitters. If the majority of reviews are positive...

Although Tomb Raider is an established IP... I belive word of mouth will jump start any slow pre-orders (sales) jitters. If the majority of reviews are positive...
I'm less sure, I think it's fairly likely that the vast majority of gamers do not a lot of disposable income to spend on games and have already invested in other games.

Ok, so basically they're forecasting 10.5 million the next two quarters. That gives us some insight, Jan-March 2016 will probably be something like 3.5 million, which leaves 7 million for Oct-Dec.

Last time it was 6.4M for holiday and 2.4M for post-holiday quarter. With pricedrop and stronger Q1 2016, 10.5M is a safe prediction.

Xbox One by my calculations/based on last year, will probably sell around 3 million in the states thus ship 6 million in Oct-Dec. That's in line with norms, the gap closes a lot for Xbox in holiday quarters.

IMO, if MS ships 6M in holiday quarter, they will over-ship. Well, I suppose it does not matter if they do. We are not getting numbers for Q1 which would tell us if MS did indeed over-shipped or not.

I'm less sure, I think it's fairly likely that the vast majority of gamers do not a lot of disposable income to spend on games and have already invested in other games.

I don't know... console gamers can be weird at times (ok, most of the times :p), especially when it comes to disposable income towards game purchases and system accessories. One moment something is to expensive (particular console sku or games), yet would spend sh** load on overpriced accessories (not mentioning any names).

In the long run, I think the biggest mistake maybe Tomb Raider's exclusivity to One (pun intended) platform, if sales are truly bleak. But that's Square's fault...

Xbox One by my calculations/based on last year, will probably sell around 3 million in the states thus ship 6 million in Oct-Dec. That's in line with norms, the gap closes a lot for Xbox in holiday quarters.

I'd doubt they ship more than 5 million in the holiday.

The Aaron Greenberg interview was interesting but I think Microsoft have miscalculated in putting Rise (a single player game) against Fallout 4 (another single player game). I think a better bet would have been stacking it against a multiplayer game and put it out before Fallout because a lot of Fallout fans (like me) are going to be playing Fallout for a long, long time and will just pickup Rise when it's cheap.

My hype for Fallout has eroded enthusiasm for Rise and I loved 2013 Tomb Raider and do want to play Rise but I just want to play Fallout a damn sight more and unless Fallout is a bloody mess (get it?) Rise isn't going to get a look in :nope:

What's even worse is that since it is XBO only, it's going against Fallout 4 on XBO. Why is that significant? Because, presumably, the XBO version of Fallout 4 will feature support for MODs just like the PC version (also coming to PS4 but later than the XBO). Which means that people playing the XBO version are likely going to be playing it a LOT longer than they would have if there wasn't MOD support. Granted MODs won't be coming until early 2016, but still.

I'm really not sure why they didn't try to release it a month prior to the FO4 release.

Regards,
SB

I don't know... console gamers can be weird at times (ok, most of the times :p), especially when it comes to disposable income towards game purchases and system accessories. One moment something is to expensive (particular console sku or games), yet would spend sh** load on overpriced accessories (not mentioning any names).

In the long run, I think the biggest mistake maybe Tomb Raider's exclusivity to One (pun intended) platform, if sales are truly bleak. But that's Square's fault...

But it's exclusive to two platforms, i know most people don't even care but this is coming out on X360 too :p

Eh, Amazon best sellers list for october 2015 has being updated:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-10/videogames#2

23 - PS4 Nathan drake bundle (that price cut)
24 - XB1 Halo 5 bundle
28 - PS4 Battlefied bundle (pre-orders for November so doesn't count)
40 - PS4 TLOUR bundle
48 - PS4 Destiny bundle
49 - PS4 COD bundle
(pre-orders for November so doesn't count)
94 - XB1 Gears bundle

Insert your inevitable october NPD is gonna be interesting comment, mine:

I assume the XB1 Halo 5 bundle wasn't on pre-order on september because nowhere to be seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-09/videogames#1

I dont think H5 will even be the lead selling physical copy of a game, too much depends how many went digital route or bundled route.

24 - XB1 Halo 5 bundle
40 - PS4 TLOUR bundle
48 - PS4 Destiny bundle
49 - PS4 COD bundle
94 - XB1 Gears bundle

I assume the XB1 Halo 5 bundle wasn't on pre-order on september because nowhere to be seen here:

Actually it was... back in August actually. I somehow forgot that this has been available for pre-order for months. First I thought the PS4 would win October easily, but I'm starting to think that it will be close with the XB1 might even winning by a slight margin.
An employee (manager?) at BestBuy who posts at GAF (Abdiel) said that PS4 has been leading in many parts of the country, but that's just BB. He also says that the PS4 price drop has been very good for Sony and that they're selling a lot.

Small PS4 price drop vs Halo 5... could go either way.

Many of those bundles are released in November so the PS4 is already off to a great start. This holiday season will be very interesting as well.

I dont think H5 will even be the lead selling physical copy of a game, too much depends how many went digital route or bundled route.
The only other somewhat major release was the Nathan Drake collection. But Halo 5 will win EASILY. The same member at GAF said that they have been selling a lot of Halo 5 software, but they still have a lot of Halo 5 bundles.

Last edited:
rs list for october 2015 has being updated:

24 - XB1 Halo 5 bundle
40 - PS4 TLOUR bundle
48 - PS4 Destiny bundle
49 - PS4 COD bundle
94 - XB1 Gears bundle

Insert your inevitable october NPD is gonna be interesting comment

Mine comment is more focused on November. Battlefront LE bundle was also ranked #16 in August. :D

Also, PS4 will win in October :)

24 - XB1 Halo 5 bundle
40 - PS4 TLOUR bundle
48 - PS4 Destiny bundle
49 - PS4 COD bundle
94 - XB1 Gears bundle

The Amazon predictions have all been right towards the monthly NPD winners... and judging by the October standings, Sony has this bagged (hardware wise) for October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back