Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
NX announcement does not mean that's the only device Nintendo develops.

NX could be a handheld, console, concept platform with many formfactors.

I'd say they are doing handheld for next year, and console for 2017. Which is NX does not matter.

I'm conflicted.

If Nintendo want ports, they have to play the power game. If Nintendo want good PR with the core crowd they need to play the power game.

But...

... if you look at the number of people on the shitwebs who get outraged about resolution, but need to wait for DF to tell them that it's not 1080p first, it's clear that perception is what really matters in the general case.

If Nintendo can avoid a direct perceptual clash then a few hundred mega flops here or there won't matter.

Artistically though, Nintendo have always prefered minimal graphics fidelity and high frame rate.
Except for Waverace 64, which looked damn pretty for its time but was a real slug in the framerate department.

Rare also did some prettier-than-smooth games (Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark; Kazooie II as well, unsure about Conker as I never played that one), but they were 2nd party, so don't count.

Maybe the equivalent of half the PS4 would possibly work for ports, like 12CU with 2 disabled, 4GB GDDR5 128bit, 4x jaguar with minimal OS reserves, OS only running when game is paused, 512MB OS reserve, Mario. Luigi. Bowser, $199.

If nx does launch next year, I don't see how it will susceed if it is a home console. They really can't compete with the current consoles unless they are willing to undercut and take a loss. Very few people would buy a nintendo console at this point to play 3rd party and unless nintendo comes out with a lot of first party games, they won't be able to capture much of their core fanbase either simply because of how the wiiu's release has been. If they just want to make a weaker but cheaper console, they should have just dropped the price of the wiiu even more because the r&d they spend on a new console now can be spent on something better in the long term. Its not like if they make a new console with 2x the performance of the wiiu will be noticeable to most people as the console will still be much weaker than the xbone and ps4. That would then be a lot of wasted r&d.

If NX is a handheld, then things will be easier on the device as people are more likely to get a new nintendo handheld as apposed to a console. They are effectively the only "core" handheld gaming company at this point. It is about time the 3ds get a real update anyways. I can see them selling a new handheld in reasonable numbers. And if nintendo choose to go with more of a commercial design for the soc, they can use a 20nm soc for pretty cheap next year. A $199 portable with the performance of a midrange smartphone today should be very doable.

Maybe the equivalent of half the PS4 would possibly work for ports, like 12CU with 2 disabled, 4GB GDDR5 128bit, 4x jaguar with minimal OS reserves, OS only running when game is paused, 512MB OS reserve, Mario. Luigi. Bowser, $199.
It should at least have 6GB RAM and 7 core CPU to bother porting.

The interest in a dedicated portable gaming device with high-end visuals is still unproven I think.

The PSP was very successful and IMO the Vita wasn't (in the west) because Sony completely shat on it from the very beginning.
Had the Vita been given half the amount of dedication from Sony's first party developers that the PSP was given and if they ever gave it more than 30 seconds of airtime in major western conferences like E3, it'd be quite the spectacular console nowadays.

Regardless, the Gameboy Advance had rather decent hardware regarding what was available in 2000 for a device that had to last for longer than two hours. If the DS hadn't been the unexpected success that it was, my bet is that the Gameboy Advance 2 would be much closer to the PSP in power.
We're talking gamecube era Nintendo, pre-Wii. Back then, they weren't the cheapstakes on hardware they are now.

Maybe if it supported TV connectivity for 720p home gaming as well as a portable?

Yes, in the device I envisioned that would be a given. Sell the console with a bundled chromecast-esque hdmi dongle designed for low-latency, have all peripherals working through Bluetooth and/or WiFi-Direct.
And then tell the world there's no more two consoles. There's just one, a portable that doubles as a competent-ish home console.

They could toy with stuff like the dongle serving as a smart access point and accepting video streams from several NX handhelds. Two friends each with their NX in the same room could play in the same TV and split-screen multiplayer would actually increase image quality and/or output resolution instead of lowering it (as each handheld would be rendering its own screen).

People complained about not being able to use more than a tablet controller in the Wii U. This would be the best answer for it.
And they'd get to keep selling that Amiibo crap that seems to be making money. Each NX owner keeps his/her own Amiibo toys, and brings them for their friends' videogame parties.

Regardless, they really need to do better than this:
I7glbPi.jpg

New details about the Nintendo NX:

The NX is a hybrid console/handheld/mobile streaming device that comes in two components:

>The Deck
The main hardware is a brick that contains all of the NX's processing power. It's small enough to be carried in a backpack, purse or messenger bag and can run off a battery or an AC adapter, and includes HDMI/Component Cables that allow it to be plugged into a TV. The Deck's main function though is streaming a wireless signal in the same fashion as the WiiU does for the Gamepad.

>The Harness
The NX's controller is sturdy plastic harness that can be attached to any existing tablet or smartphone. It has dual analog sticks and D-pads, but the facebuttons are moved to the back of the device, meaning that instead of two shoulder buttons, the Harness has four triggers for each hand.

The Deck and the Harness work together to turn any mobile device into a platform for playing Nintendo games. By downloading a simple app, a person's phone or tablet can receive the NX Deck's signal. In this fashion, Nintendo can take advantage of the proliferation of mobile devices instead of being hamstrung by it-- they don't need to market their own machine, instead they turn any existing phone or tablet into a device that can play a Nintendo game.

Of course this would be accompanied by a concerted effort to move into the actual mobile market as well with games designed around phones not requiring the NX to play.

Fascinating.

If mobile devices are targeted to be the primary displays for the Deck, then it doesn't have to produce such high-level graphics, since mobile devices aren't going to support really extended play sessions.

Not sure about the 4 triggers per hand. Seems like a cradle for a phone can support face buttons.

Fascinating.

If mobile devices are targeted to be the primary displays for the Deck, then it doesn't have to produce such high-level graphics, since mobile devices aren't going to support really extended play sessions.

Not sure about the 4 triggers per hand. Seems like a cradle for a phone can support face buttons.
A very knowledgeable person who leaked some cool stuff and it became a reality also mentioned that, the NX is not going to compete for the graphics crown.

kBCvkzh.png

I don't think mobile phones are the answer. They consume a lot of battery -imho-, their screens suck -imho-...despite the NX being an interesting concept, NX charm might come from being a Nintendo machine itself rather than from the concept. Wii was a great concept and it was charming at the same time, but we shall see with NX.

NX has to be really portable. I can see not going for graphics if it's played most of the time on 5-inch phone screens.

Younger generations are watching TV and movies on their phones rather than a big screen. Maybe phones, the device that is always with them and which they're using for many things, is the key to get at this demographic.

But again, if the NX gear is a PITA to carry around, then yeah, why would people carry that extra gear when there are other diversions for their phones?

Is there a public for this ? Is it not possible to juste use the wiiu for that ?

I don't see why they're wasting ressources on this...

>The Deck
The main hardware is a brick that contains all of the NX's processing power. It's small enough to be carried in a backpack, purse or messenger bag and can run off a battery or an AC adapter, and includes HDMI/Component Cables that allow it to be plugged into a TV. The Deck's main function though is streaming a wireless signal in the same fashion as the WiiU does for the Gamepad.
Very interesting information. What is the source of these details, is it reliable?
>The Harness
The NX's controller is sturdy plastic harness that can be attached to any existing tablet or smartphone. It has dual analog sticks and D-pads, but the facebuttons are moved to the back of the device, meaning that instead of two shoulder buttons, the Harness has four triggers for each hand.
The Deck and the Harness work together to turn any mobile device into a platform for playing Nintendo games. By downloading a simple app, a person's phone or tablet can receive the NX Deck's signal. In this fashion, Nintendo can take advantage of the proliferation of mobile devices instead of being hamstrung by it-- they don't need to market their own machine, instead they turn any existing phone or tablet into a device that can play a Nintendo game.
No face buttons and instead has four triggers? I can’t imagine how that’d work, it’d have to be a really deep controller to allow your fingers to have a button each. Also, how would the device be universal to all mobile devices, it’s not just the OSs, but also the differing sizes of phone/tablet.

>The Deck
So nVidia Shield TV then.
In this fashion, Nintendo can take advantage of the proliferation of mobile devices instead of being hamstrung by it-- they don't need to market their own machine, instead they turn any existing phone or tablet into a device that can play a Nintendo game.
It doesn't particularly benefit from mobile devices, as it's a standalone device. Potential customers will need to carry the NX with them. The only real upside is getting a display 'for free', and perhaps synergy with the controller being usable for mobile games.

Seems a back-to-front solution to me. Instead of being a standalone tablet that doubles as a console, with people buying a tablet and getting a Nintendo console 'for free', it's a console that requires a mobile, bought in addition to the mobile device and requiring moving a brick around. Basically more fuss and effort for no particularly better solution.

If that is true it's going to fail hard. I was wondering about Moga type controller embarking their own hardware long ago but why would you need a harness? Another issue is the display resolution, it is all over the place from 480p to 1440p.
Ultimately I disliked that idea as it steals precious screen time from a device that has to keep working. I also dislike the fact that a controller can't really be pocket friendly with its buttons and/or sticks popping out.

But IF it is based on the WiiU and sell 149$ :LOL: who knows. I've a tough time believing that.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine how that’d work, it’d have to be a really deep controller to allow your fingers to have a button each.
I was thinking that myself too, reading the supposed description of the device. It would be difficult to design such a controller in a pocket-friendly way.

Not to mention that the entire concept is basically redundant. Phones are basically on a wiiu-level of power already. CPU-wise, they surpass it already, and GPUs are close, if not a match already too. Each year, smart devices experience large jumps in performance, iThings typically jump 20-50% each generation. Why keep a brick in your backpack with already obsolete hardware (assuming it is wiiu-based, perhaps with updated/ARM CPUs) when you could just use your smartphone's comparable, if not superior brains directly?

True, you get a common platform, while smart devices are very diverse in hardware, particularly on the Android side of the aisle. Nintendo could solve this by sticking to iOS and picking a baseline hardware to support. It would perhaps not be as convenient to them, but it sure would be a lot more convenient for the customers. I don't think many would see the advantage in having to carry around on an extra brick just to play nintendo games on the go.

New details about the Nintendo NX:

The NX is a hybrid console/handheld/mobile streaming device that comes in two components:

>The Deck

>The Harness

Of course this would be accompanied by a concerted effort to move into the actual mobile market as well with games designed around phones not requiring the NX to play.

If true, this is pretty stupid.
The "deck" would probably have to use WiFi Direct to send the video stream. If the tablet/smartphone is dedicating its WiFi radio for streaming, it'll lose Internet connectivity on everything but devices with 3G/4G connectivity turned on.
Not even looking at the immense battery drain caused by using WiFi + 3G at the same time in a smartphone, I'm pretty sure many people will think twice between playing games on their WiFi tablets or keeping track of their e-mail+social network notifications.

Unless the "Deck" sends the stream to the "Harness" thingie, which in turn sends the stream to the tablet/smartphone through micro-USB (or eventually, USB Type-C). But then, it'd be prone to all kinds of problems because not all tablets/smartphones have a USB port, and not all of them have USB host functionality, so.. it's stupid again.

And then there's the fact that smartphones and tablets themselves would surpass that "deck" in gaming performance within a couple of years, so we'd be using a more powerful device as a dumb screen.

True, you get a common platform...
I'd say that's the only part of this theory that has the air of legitimacy to it. It's the sort of angle I could see Nintendo taking. "How do we get our games on every device? Make our own wireless 'dongle' that plays the games!" That's basically necessary if they want to keep their QA, so stable 60 fps Mario. If they went mobile only, they'd have to offer a range of experience which I doubt they are keen on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back